The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 9, 2000, 05:15 PM   #1
LASur5r

OK TFL'ers...
Here's a different twist on ..."When all H*** breaks loose and you are at your place of employment?
A major catastrophe has occured and you are at your office.(wherever you work) The news has informed you that there is major rioting in all the cities...Lots of looting and burning...Yahoo!
The free ways and major roads are a major gridlock and you cannot escape from your place of employment by motorized transporation.
What gun do you have readily available? Now what do you do?
Old September 9, 2000, 06:02 PM   #2
Secmat

If I am in my home state, minimally, I have a handgun w/extra ammo on my person and a 12ga and fully loaded vest in the trunk. My place of employment could be anywhere, so my priority would be to get to my family and make them safe. Here in VT, there are enough alternate routes so that gridlock would be difficult to bring about.

If I was working out of state, I would still have the 12 bore as a minimum. I also carry extra everything, so hunkering down until things were clear would not be a problem. I was actally in another state a few years back when some "unpleasantness" occurred. My car was in a parking garage, so I loaded the beast and sat on my car overnight.

------------------
"Those who dance are thought mad by those that don't hear the music."
Old September 9, 2000, 06:42 PM   #3
Mike in VA

Beretta Coucar .45 & 2 spare mags in glove box, 50 rnds of ball & K-bar in the trunk. Often have SIG 239 & 2 spare mags on me. Prolly find a secure palce to sit it out and wait for cavalry. M2
Old September 10, 2000, 04:32 PM   #4
LASur5r

Okay, I'm throwing a qualifier in.
Your kid is in school or the place where your wife works is in the middle of the rioting. Hooyah.
Now what do you do?
Old September 10, 2000, 04:48 PM   #5
Secmat

Put on the shotgunner's vest, load up the shotgun, and get into the combat mode.

------------------
Old September 11, 2000, 07:27 PM   #6
LASur5r

Secmat,
Is there any other choice?
My daughter's old school was 3 blocks from the beginning point of the L.A. riots..near the Police Department when the rioters went down the streets leading away from the Police Department creating havoc and destruction in their path.
Luckily, my daughter was home sick that day with my wife, who would have had to try to drive through that mess to get home.
I didn't go to work. We just loaded up and forted up but the nightmares still occur..what if...!
At the flashpoint, when those guys tried to kill Reginald Denny, the truck driver, they also tried to kill an Oriental lady, who tried to swerve about 1/2 a block behind his truck. The lady was stoned and dragged from her car...she had a little baby in the back seat. I don't know what the outcome was for those victims.

Hope that never happens to anyone, but who knows??????
Old September 11, 2000, 08:03 PM   #7
fubsy

We had a minor problem like that when I worked at a Gun Store in Nashville during the La riots. One of the men I worked with his significant other worked down near an area that could have had problems. He settled on bringing two loaded 870's and a few handguns. there was never a problem, he was just preparing.........fubsy...
Old September 11, 2000, 09:10 PM   #8
Secmat

LASur5r,
My family is in the thick of it, I am going to do everything in my power to make them safe. You know from the L.A. problems that "authorities" can't be counted on to save one or two people. That's why I say the combat mode. BTDT.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Secmat (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old September 12, 2000, 10:58 AM   #9
LASur5r

Fubsy and Secmat,
A good friend of mine (works in a Gunsmith shop) had loaded for bear and locked up most of the guns in the vaults in the shop when his girlfriend called from another city nearby and asked him to "Help"
Folks were starting to gather up near the store where she was manager...she locked up and sent the employees home, but she was by her lonesome without anything to arm herself. She called PD but they had problems of their own...yeah, right!...on the news they were busy reporting to the National Guard CP's, not protecting the public. There were no cops in sight.
He informed his boss,loaded up the car and went open carry to rescue her. He put the young lady in his car, while holding the banned assault shotgun in his hands and a bandolier of shells and took her home in front of the crowd. He made believe that he was giving commands to people inside the store, that the reinforcements were coming and for them to shoot the first vandal trying to break into the store.
Result?
One brick through the window after they left the site...no vandalism of that store...and a very grateful girlfriend.
Glad to see that a good guy can pull a good bluff with good results.
Old September 15, 2000, 10:21 AM   #10
Halffast

I always have a Kel-tec P32 on me, a Kimber pro CDP on me or in the truck, and a Mini-14 in the truck. I only have one mag for the Kel-tec but there's extra ammo in the truck. There are two extra mags for the .45 and at least 100 rounds. The Mini has 4 mags with it (30 rounders) loaded with 25 rounds each and a bandoleer with 140 rounds on stripper clips. I also have a daypack in the truck with 3 MRE's, some snacks, extra cloths, a poncho, a Cold Steel Recon Tanto, and a Taurus 94 9-shot .22 and 200 rounds of ammo for it. Next to the day back are two canteens and some water purification pills and some clorox in a small bottle. From where I work, it would have to be really bad for me not to be able to drive home in a one ton diesel 4x4. If I did have to hoof it, it is only about seven miles.
Old September 17, 2000, 10:38 AM   #11
Bulldozer

I always have a Kel-Tec P11 with 2 mags ready to go. One mag is 115-grain +P+ JHP, the other is 147 subsonic JHP. Trunk has 12-inch machete, K-Bar knife, 100 rds of 9mm 115 FMJ.

I know of at least five others in my shop that carry in their cars so we'd have plenty of "oomph."

Old September 17, 2000, 02:55 PM   #12
mussi

If cow manure hits the fan, one should remember Swiss have a fancy
collection of guns at home, including evil assault weapons. We can
protect ourselves in a riot situation. I work 5 minutes away from home
and I know Berne like my vest pocket so I can choose alternative
routes to get home.
Old September 21, 2000, 04:06 PM   #13
LASur5r

Thanks for the good posts, guys.

I have a friend that works in the middle of the riot zone, so when I asked him what if the mob stopped his vehicle and he had to do E & E...then what.
He had just gotten married at that time and his wife was an old time hippie (Peace and Love) She was so anti-killing of anything that had meat on it that she became a diehard vegetarian.
She said NYET to the gun because he might kill somebody with it.
When i asked her on many occasions, then she'd really rather sacrifice her husband over any perps who would try to kill him. She affirmed that she wouldn't want her husband to have bad Karma if he killed someone...he'd have trouble coming back as a beetle or something.
I talked to him alone before the marriage that she would be bad juju for his life...seven years later my friend received his official divorce papers. He's now back in the martial arts and is packing in the hood.

Several years later I saw his ex-wife...she is now a flesh eater and asked some advice about what handgun to purchase as she lives alone now....without hubby to protect her, but she was willing to throw his life away???? Go figure.