The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 1999, 12:20 PM   #1
Jack Straw

This may sound like a bit of an odd question, but I was wondering if the new Win primers are suitable for use with Win 296. The box says they are for standard or magnum applications, but I thought I would see if anyone had used the new primers with 296 and what the results were. Or should I stick with a specified "magnum" primer (such as CCI)?

Thanks again!

Jack
Old November 12, 1999, 01:01 PM   #2
NJW

I have been using the Win regular/mag LP primer exclusivley when I load 296 (may favorite 357/44 MAG powder)for years. If you have the primers on hand I would say use them. Since Win makes the powder, their primers should work for their powder.

NJW
Old November 12, 1999, 02:16 PM   #3
Deputy Al

According to an article published in "American Rifleman" in roughly 1984, Winchester primers all contain an aluminum oxide fuel element specifically added to facilitate ignition of their ball powders. I use a LOT of WW-296 in both 357 and 44 Magnum applications, and the Winchester LP and CCI 350 primers both produce very consistent results--small velocity SD's, superb accuracy, and high velocities with safe and sane pressures. I cannot discern a significant difference in heat range between the two primers, but your mileage may vary. BTW--my first post here, and this looks like a real nice place to learn something!
Old November 12, 1999, 04:19 PM   #4
Jack Straw

Thanks guys.

It should seem kind of obvious to me that Winchester would make components that work well together and that is why I thought it might sound like a dumb question, but I always like a good second opinion! At the same time, I'm always wary of something that is supposed to be the versatile one-tool-for-all-your-needs (not that Winchester is trying to sell snake oil or anything like that); I just like to have the right tool for the job.

Deputy Al,

Glad to have you joining us! TFL has been very helpful to me and I hope you enjoy it as well!

Jack