The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 14, 2004, 10:36 PM   #26
kelsey

Browning FDT Extreme. Just started using it and I love it!

Kelsey
www.luvtohunt.com
High Mountain Hunting Supply
Old October 15, 2004, 02:46 PM   #27
saands

This is about as "Off-Topic" as I have ever strayed ... but has anyone else checked out Kelsey's webpage (url in the signature in the previous post)? In addition to the products that he carries ... which include Browning knives ... there ... I got back on topic he has some REALLY well written articles there ... I just read a couple and was impressed enough to comment. Great Job! I especially like the response to PETA ... I think that too many of us haven't really thought about the best way to respond to that part of the population that has never left their urban environment and therefore doesn't understand the beauty of the hunting experience.

Thanks Kelsey ...

Saands
Old October 17, 2004, 09:33 AM   #28
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Hmmmm. . . . maybe the moderator should participate in the thread, huh?

My fav folder is my Spyderco Native III. I had an original Native that was my first Spydie, and I loved it dearly, but I left it in my wife's car one night and it happened to be the night some kid ripped off her stereo and my pocket knife. Last year a good friend had a new Native III sent to me, and let me tell ya, they've only improved the thing. I loved my old one, but this holds an edge better (better steel) is much more comfortable to use, and the clip is about a hundred times better (frankly, the old style clip was an annoyance at times.)

Fixed blade? Alan Folts "Mantis." It's not really a utilitarian knife, but I use a folder for most of that anyway. It's very good at what it's designed to do, which is hide out almost anywhere on your person, weigh next to nothing, and yet give a very good poking/slicing blade with a hand-filling, secure, ergonomic grip.
Old October 20, 2004, 06:31 PM   #29
Made Man

Fixed- i still pack Kabar USMC
Folding- I like kershaw, currently carrying a Blackout but i had a Whirlwind. I liked the clip pointed Whirlwind better.
Old October 20, 2004, 10:19 PM   #30
Danindetroit

Fixed-Gerber BMF

carry around utility folder-ken onion Kershaw
Old October 22, 2004, 03:12 PM   #31
Notch

My Benchmade Bikerspike auto folder. She is with me always.
Old October 22, 2004, 10:35 PM   #32
Rustic

I've got fancier folders, but my Gerber EZ out has dressed out my last 3 or 4 deer with no muss, no fuss. I'm sure the Beretta or Spyderco would work well too.

Kershaw makes some light, inexpensive fixed blade knives with great ergonomics and nonskid grip. The skinner works like a dream.
Old October 29, 2004, 04:05 PM   #33
PzB41

My folder is a Emerson CQC-7B.

Belt knife is a Randall #1. Compressed leather washer handle, Nickel silver buttcap with leather thong.

Current favorites in the safe: Pre-64 M70 in .300 WinMag, Steyr SSG69, H&K 93A4 and 91, M21, H&K USP (C), Colt 1911A1 & Anaconda, S&W M57.

Disabled Veteran (10 Years Active, US Army)
NRA Life Member
Graduate CST, Denver, CO.
Precision Rifle Instructor
Professional Gunsmith/Riflemaker
Student of Engineering
Old October 29, 2004, 05:16 PM   #34
grawk

I alternate between a CRKT M16 and a CRKT Ryan 7 as the knife that's ALWAYS in my pocket. I've also always got a leatherman wave in my car.
Old October 29, 2004, 05:34 PM   #35
2002gti

my favorate knifes are definatly benchmade but i carry a gerber carbon fiber with an ats34 ser. blade. i love to carry this model because its pretty thin and im able to easily slide my hand in and out of the pocket with it in there. i like em so much i just got another one today for backup. they retail for $100 and i got it off ebay for $40. you really should try one of these gems if you can find them, theyre discontinued.
Old October 30, 2004, 09:24 AM   #36
pbass

Never liked my SOG Flash. I like my ACFK, black 4". Very easy to slip in the front pocket, slim yet grippy. However now a PM9 lives in that pocket by itself, so I'm down to carrying a Sodbuster Jr. in my back pocket.
Old November 8, 2004, 02:43 PM   #37
H&K Fan

Folder - usually either a Microtech full sized Socom or Amphibian.

Fixed - Randall Model 15 w/5.5" carbon steel blade. In town, AG Russell Sting integral.
Old November 8, 2004, 03:02 PM   #38
shortydog

folder: camillus heat.very quick and smooth self assist action.

fixed: cutco hunter.
Old November 8, 2004, 03:12 PM   #39
mtnbkr

Folder: CRK Small Sebenza

Fixed: Don't really have a favorite. I do like my Kathleen Tomey Day Hiker, but I haven't carried it enough to determine if I "really" like it.

The Sebenza has ruined me on any folder short of "pretty" slipjoints. I was at Smoky Mtn Knifeworks this weekend and I barely looked at any knives. I ended up buying a Gerber pocket steel and a jar of pickled okra.

Chris
Old November 9, 2004, 03:27 PM   #40
progunner1957

My latest addition and current favorite is the "Rattweiler" from Swamp Rat Knife Works www.swampratknifeworks.com

It sports a 7 1/2 X 1/4 inch blade of SR 101 high carbon steel, black crinkle finish, OD green micarta grips, a skullcrusher pommel and a lanyard hole (mandatory, IMO). It came with a cordura sheath with kydex stiffener and was $200 - it is one outstanding bladefor the money!! I would HIGHLY recommend it to all!

I also have a Cold Steel Recon Scout that I have used for years - it has a 7 1/2 X 5/16 inch blade of carbon V steel. It is one tough mother and will hold an edge that will not only shave, but will put a rug burn on your forearm! It can be had for around the $100 - 120 range.

I have never had a problem with rust or corrosion on a carbon steel blade here in the midwest U.S. climate; they sharpen much easier than stainless and will take a sharper, finer edge, IMO.

If I were headed to Panama or a similar climate, I might opt for Chris Reeves' Green Beret knife - it is made of his own blend of steel called "crucible steel" which is a type of stainless; if I were going to take a carbon steel blade to the subtropics or tropics, I'd take a small tin of thick grease (not oil, it's too thin) and keep a thin coat of it on the blade to ward off corrosion and not worry about it.
Old November 9, 2004, 11:18 PM   #41
cedarsavage

I've got a bunch of knives and my favorite fixed is the Finnish Puukko. Had it for over 50 years and will leave it in the camp so I don't lose it before I hand it over to my son. This deer season I will carry a"Bark River Knife and Tool" with a nice thick 3-inch blade that kinda looks like a "Loveless". My folding pocket knife is usually an old stainless GI, the one with "US" on the handle and a screwdriver/can-opener, awl and lanyard ring.

taa, cs
Old November 13, 2004, 07:43 AM   #42
Hal

Last edited by Hal; November 14, 2004 at 05:30 AM.
Old November 17, 2004, 04:42 PM   #43
hso

Vic Soldier

Darryl Ralph Apogee DA
Old November 25, 2004, 11:32 AM   #44
dairycreek

I have been carrying a SOG Pentagon Elite II. Fantastic knife. Check it out for yourself.
http://www.sogknives.com/pentagone2.htm
Old November 25, 2004, 06:47 PM   #45
jefnvk

Fixed: Schrade DU
Folding: Springfield Tactical Tanto, made in Solingen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knives 004.jpg (49.5 KB, 66 views)
Old November 25, 2004, 09:22 PM   #46
Indy_SIG

I'm carrying a Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout model 1550ST. Best knife I've carried and doesn't cost much (about $45 on Cheaper Than Dirt). Spring-assisted opener works great - with a little practice, it looks like you're opening a switchblade.
Old November 29, 2004, 08:25 AM   #47
Rager

Always a little Vic Classic.
But I have several folders.
Old November 29, 2004, 04:02 PM   #48
Jason Demond

I carry a Buck folder, and a Camillus boot knife.
Old November 30, 2004, 01:23 AM   #49
klondike

Only one - M.O.D. Mark V A.T.A.C.
Old December 1, 2004, 05:12 AM   #50
Lord_Nikon

S&W Extreme Ops tanto point: does anything I need it to.