The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old January 22, 2012, 06:12 PM   #1
2GunCorcoran

Revenge

The only time gun owners are allowed to use guns for their intended purpose is when it is absolutely necessary to protect an innocent person. I read an article (link below) questioning the laws against revenge. Personally, I could never kill for revenge: I'm just not that kind of man, but why should the state punish those who do if the state has the death penalty? Can anyone who supports the death penalty give me a good reason that isn't addressed in the article? Please do not respond if you do not support the death penalty.

http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/...ong_wit_5.html

Last edited by 2GunCorcoran; January 22, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old January 22, 2012, 06:15 PM   #2
JerryM

The individual does not have the moral right or authority to kill for revenge. However, the government has both in order to do justice and keep order.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old January 22, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
2GunCorcoran

Quote:
The individual does not have the moral right or authority to kill for revenge. However, the government has both in order to do justice and keep order.
Why not?
Old January 22, 2012, 07:08 PM   #4
armoredman

Revenge is emotional. Justice is logical.
An individual may wish to kill someone in the throes of emotional distress and cry "Revenge!", but lacks the authority inherent in government to execute such a sentence. This way lies Committees of Vigilance and degenerates into lynch mobs.
Justice is the dispassionate execution of a lawfully applied sentence as determined by a jury of the accused peers, within written and argued law as it stands at the moment of trial.
Revenge is almost always individual.
Justice is almost always societal.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think so, and I support the Death Penalty 100% Heck, I've worked Death Row.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:15 PM   #5
2GunCorcoran

Quote:
Revenge is emotional. Justice is logical.
An individual may wish to kill someone in the throes of emotional distress and cry "Revenge!", but lacks the authority inherent in government to execute such a sentence. This way lies Committees of Vigilance and degenerates into lynch mobs.
Justice is the dispassionate execution of a lawfully applied sentence as determined by a jury of the accused peers, within written and argued law as it stands at the moment of trial.
Revenge is almost always individual.
Justice is almost always societal.
Ignoring arguments about whether or not juries and judges are cold-blooded, what does it matter provided that the revenge is not misguided? The results are the same.
Old January 22, 2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Glenn E. Meyer

Closed.