The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 30, 2000, 10:54 PM   #1
Blue Jays

Good Evening Everyone-

Minor "rant" here...

Seems that there are quite a few TFL members with rather garrulous signature lines that take up several lines of space.

If one or more of these members are posting to a thread frequently, the bulk of our scrolling is to get past repeated, lengthy quotes from famous people.

Would it be (technically) possible for a signature line to be shown once per thread? At the same time, would it make sense to limit the number of characters available to a signature line?

Not looking for flames, but certainly interested in your thoughts.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old July 31, 2000, 07:17 AM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Blue Jays-
The very subject came up in the lounge within the past 48 hours. Personally, I find long signatures a pain in the butt. However, we're not willing to limit them or add a policy asking that they be limited.

Sooner or later, those with excessively long sig lines realize that others consider these piggish.
Rich

------------------
Legalize Freedom
Old July 31, 2000, 06:13 PM   #3
Hal

If I'm not mistaken the poster needs to check off the "Include signature" box, or at least it did at one time. Possibly a polite request to any with a long sig to take note and make sure it isn't check when replying more than once per thread.

[This message has been edited by RAE (edited July 31, 2000).]
Old July 31, 2000, 06:23 PM   #4
HankL

RAE is correct

------------------
And who exactly were those guys in the black hoods firing rubber bullets and flash
bangs? Local police? THE SECRET SERVICE ORDERED THE SEATTLE PD AND NATIONAL GUARD TO CLEAR THE
STREETS OF ANY AND ALL PEOPLE!!!
Old July 31, 2000, 06:25 PM   #5
HankL

Just don't turn the dadgummed thing on to run with each and every post you make.
Old July 31, 2000, 10:56 PM   #6
Blue Jays

Hi Everyone-

Well, figured it was worth "running up the flagpole" to see what you guys thought would be a good solution.

Rich, I guess it does kind of come across as "censorship" if people weren't able to personalize their signatures to their heart's content, so I agree with you.

HankL & RAE, it just becomes a matter of remembering if you want to include the signature each and everytime that you click on the "Submit Reply" button.

Regards to all,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old July 31, 2000, 11:42 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

In researching our papers which comfortably yielded an average of 5 pages, our professor limited us to only 2 pages, double spaced on the premise that, "Brevity is an excellant intellectual exercise." It remains valid today.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt
Old August 1, 2000, 10:43 AM   #8
FUD

Related but on a slightly different wavelength ... why is the "IMG" tag disabled in the signature block?
Old August 1, 2000, 02:52 PM   #9
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

(Grin!) Can you imagine twenty lines of signature PLUS pictures of the member, his wife, his kids, his cats, his dogs, his guns, his knives, his range, his house, AND a PDF file on "What I Did Last Summer" at the end of every post?

PS. Please notice I did NOT say a picture of "his member"!
PPS. The term "his" is considered generic for the PC but awkward "his/her". Besides, what would she picture for... never mind.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited August 01, 2000).]
Old August 2, 2000, 08:41 PM   #10
Hal

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dennis:
(Grin!) &lt;SNIP&gt;
PS. Please notice I did NOT say a picture of "his member"!
PPS. The term "his" is considered generic for the PC but awkward "his/her". Besides, what would she picture for... never mind.

[/quote]

ROTFLMAO!