The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2008, 02:21 PM   #1
nra_guns_winner

How many of you break the law on opening day,

Being older and wiser than I was in high school I try to do every hunting adventure by the book. So the only law I'm planing and or most likely going to break during deer season will be the speed limit. But how about you? Trespassing, littering, drugs, alcohol, lack of blaze orange. How about to small of bullet for the game being hunted. Or lead shot instead of steel. Fess up, some of you guys are red necks and sleep with your cousins, don't lie.
Old November 7, 2008, 02:33 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am a sort of superstitious redneck... I have a few rules I refuse to break.
1)I never carry a camera to the woods.
2)I do not buy ice or clean the coolers until the BROWN IS DOWN
3)I never break any game laws until my first BROWN IS DOWN
I believe that their are hunt gods that will poop in my cooler if I violate these.
I do not violate game laws if at all possible. I do however have the requirement to make sure the family has food and the .65 cents for a shell goes farther than a .80 cent can of beans...
Short of that I have no reason to violate laws. I can't see well enuff to shoot before legal hours and where I hunt men in green clothes with full auto rifles also patrol so a violation can get real hairy real fast!
Brent
Old November 7, 2008, 02:36 PM   #3
camper4lyfe

The closest I come to breaking the law is potentially shooting too soon. Instead of watching the clock, I go by whether or not I can easily make out what it is that I'm shooting.
Old November 7, 2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Fremmer

Quote:
Fess up, some of you guys are red necks and sleep with your cousins, don't lie.
Yeah, but I've got some smokin' hot cousins, if you saw 'em you'd understand....
Old November 7, 2008, 03:48 PM   #5
chow chow

What do u mean, is this pretty common in redneck country ?
Old November 7, 2008, 04:06 PM   #6
davlandrum

Quote:
I never carry a camera to the woods.
+1 to that superstition.

I walk the straight and narrow. I got certified as a hunter's ed instructor this year and would be ashamed to get that stripped for a violation.

Maybe when I was young and rash. Just not worth it for me.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 7, 2008, 04:19 PM   #7
joshua9578

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but I've got some smokin' hot cousins, if you saw 'em you'd understand....
haha me too, deer are big and cousins are hot in my familys part of the country. i would ask one to marry me, but i cant read all the paperwork i would have to do, and my chevy doesnt run and is on blocks in the yard so it cant get me to the courthouse. i usually have my buddy/brother tow my house to the local walmart if i do need to go to the courthouse.

the only law i might break is when theres snow on the ground i tend to stay out a little longer, but even then i wont take a risky shot.
Old November 7, 2008, 05:00 PM   #8
22-rimfire

I will break no laws while deer hunting. I do it by the book always and expect others to do the same. If not, I'll tell.
Old November 7, 2008, 05:08 PM   #9
rem870hunter

no law breaking here. alcohol stays at home. no hot relatives. speed limt not sure on that one, my speedometer has been acting funny for a few years. shooting too soon or too late. never happened. gonna be alot of hunters in the woods tomorrow morning here. small game season opens at 8. i'll be out there but without a dog . last season opener i heard 30 shots in the first 10 minutes.
Old November 7, 2008, 05:24 PM   #10
tangara

About 8 to 10 years ago while riding in my grandpa's pickup thru his cut bean field to a designated location for me to be dropped off at. A light snow was falling and a monster buck appears in our headlights. Grandpa stops and says wow that is one of the biggest deer I have ever seen. He has been hunting deer since the late 1920's. I was the only one with a buck tag and I said drop me off here I think I will walk to the edge of the field and sit in the tall grass and see if he come down. So I did, it was about 3/4 of an hour before shooting time. About 1/2 hour latter I hear something coming thru the grass and cattails. A few minute later I see this torso of a deer not 10 to 15 yards from me moving along in a rather jerky trot. I could see no head or legs just the outline of the torso along the snow. I did pull up and was about to shoot but decided not to in case it was a doe and not the buck. It was about 10 minutes before the legal shooting hour. I thought I am sitting next to ditch and the deer are running right by me. After about 30 minutes walk over to the ditch, but there is no ditch and no tracks just shuffle marks in the snow. That dang buck went by me on his hands and knees with his head down so to speak. Should I have shot probably, would it of broke a law, yes. We did see him later that day. The next day same buck was walking right towards me and all I could see is rack and grass and could not get s shot. He saw us and ran broadside next to us at 20 yards and I shot 5 rounds and missed them all. I had a touch of buck fever and was also using a borrowed rifle that did not fit very well. After that I went out and bought my own deer rifle and have been cured of buck fever. Do I regret not shooting, a little but if I shot and it would have been a doe I think it would have been a major let down.

I saw another situation like this about 1 month ago. I was at work pulling off a gravel road onto a highway and on the south side was a 1/4 section soybean field. A movement caught my eye and it was a brown torso moving just above the top of the beans. I was not sure at first what it was but then every 30 to 40 yards a head would pop up and I could see antlers then the head would go down. I could not make out the size of the rack but it was not a little guy. The harvested the beans a week later and they were about 18" tall at that location, I guess he did not want to be seen.
Old November 7, 2008, 05:31 PM   #11
tangara

About 8 to 10 years ago while riding in my grandpa's pickup thru his cut bean field to a designated location for me to be dropped off at. A light snow was falling and a monster buck appears in our headlights. Grandpa stops and says wow that is one of the biggest deer I have ever seen. He has been hunting deer since the late 1920's. I was the only one with a buck tag and I said drop me off here I think I will walk to the edge of the field and sit in the tall grass and see if he come down. So I did, it was about 3/4 of an hour before shooting time. About 1/2 hour latter I hear something coming thru the grass and cattails. A few minute later I see this torso of a deer not 10 to 15 yards from me moving along in a rather jerky trot. I could see no head or legs just the outline of the torso along the snow. I did pull up and was about to shoot but decided not to in case it was a doe and not the buck. It was about 10 minutes before the legal shooting hour. I thought I am sitting next to ditch and the deer are running right by me. After about 30 minutes walk over to the ditch, but there is no ditch and no tracks just shuffle marks in the snow. That dang buck went by me on his hands and knees with his head down so to speak. Should I have shot probably, would it of broke a law, yes. We did see him later that day. The next day same buck was walking right towards me and all I could see is rack and grass and could not get s shot. He saw us and ran broadside next to us at 20 yards and I shot 5 rounds and missed them all. I had a touch of buck fever and was also using a borrowed rifle that did not fit very well. After that I went out and bought my own deer rifle and have been cured of buck fever. Do I regret not shooting, a little but if I shot and it would have been a doe I think it would have been a major let down.

I saw another situation like this about 1 month ago. I was at work pulling off a gravel road onto a highway and on the south side was a 1/4 section soybean field. A movement caught my eye and it was a brown torso moving just above the top of the beans. I was not sure at first what it was but then every 30 to 40 yards a head would pop up and I could see antlers then the head would go down. I could not make out the size of the rack but it was not a little guy. The harvested the beans a week later and they were about 18" tall at that location, I guess he did not want to be seen.
Old November 7, 2008, 05:46 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Wait a dern minute... I missed that cousin comment at first! If'n we wouldn't a been kicked out of the family by the yankee side I woulda married her!
I know a feller that has more money to burn each year than most of us make and he insists on some of the dirtiest tactics. He will get a buddy to look thru the NV scope and put a laser pointer on the biggest buck and shoot the red spot with a BAR .300 win mag. in the middle of the night. goes out "huntin" and will knock a deer over with the duramax so he has time to hop out and shoot it.
He has permission to run hog dogs on farm land to REMOVE the rootin' bastids' and goes to gerogia huntin' hogs and turns loose more than he removes X's 10! I have no problem lettin' him go on the deer poaching but it is awful hard to bite my tongue when he gets mad that me and junior have permission to "HIS" spots because the land owner is glad we are catchin hogs! AND I AM YET TO MENTION HIS ANTICS!!! I just ain't never been a tattle tale! I also live by the belief that we all do something wrong. He is the most dishonest man I currently know. I told junior... "The only time ***** is tellin the truth is when he says he is hungry (all the dern time)"
Brent
Old November 9, 2008, 08:23 PM   #13
JRNC26

I do nothing whatsoever illiegal in the woods.We as hunters have to set an example.Cause there are too many (as Carlos Mencia says) Dee de Dee's in the world who want our hunting rights stripped.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:35 PM   #14
rantingredneck

Quote:
I got certified as a hunter's ed instructor this year and would be ashamed to get that stripped for a violation.
Same here.

I do everything by the book on my end.
Old November 9, 2008, 08:40 PM   #15
shantz

Interesting thread. I turn in poachers given any chance. And if I encounter anyone out there hunting with alcohol on his breath is turned in also.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:16 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I imagine the great majority of all hunters are pretty law-abiding. That's been my experience, anyway. And, really, if the area in which you hunt has any sort of decent population of deer, there's no point to cheating.
Old November 10, 2008, 10:27 AM   #17
Musketeer

It's always deer season if it is attacking you!

"Look out! He's coming right at you!!!"

Just joking, as I sincerely hope the OP was.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old November 10, 2008, 10:28 AM   #18
AirForceShooter

I'm old and sort of nuts
I try to break the law every day. At least once.
But... Not around guns. I'm not that crazy.

AFS
Old November 10, 2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Daryl

One of my hunting buddies is a game warden.

Does that answer your question?

Daryl
Old November 10, 2008, 11:33 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Daryl, so this means ya'll are free to do as you please? Man I wish I had a warden buddy... they know the "GOOD" spots
Brent
Old November 10, 2008, 11:55 AM   #21
Lavid2002

meh

Ill accidentally shot an extra black duck on opening day once, but who cares....its only one more. I go out once a week. Me shooting two blacks on one day is the same as me shooting one one day, then going out the next day and shooting one.
Not that worried about it.
Old November 10, 2008, 03:56 PM   #22
spruilldog

I used to do it...

The cousins thing that is.

Just kidding. I broke some game laws in high school like shooting to late or early and spotlighting deer. Never shot a deer at night but we would ride around shining a light looking for deer, and of course usually one was driving and the other was shining the light and drinking. I am on the straight and narrow now that I have a 15 and 13 year old that I like to hunt with. I want them to see at least one person who always does it by the book.
Old November 10, 2008, 04:18 PM   #23
globemaster3

Are you serious?

I always make sure to follow every law I know of when hunting or fishing. 9 times out of 10, I've got one of my kids with me. What kind of example am I setting for them, or you setting for anyone, if you or I intentionally break the law? Either its OK, or its not.

Now, I am not talking about those gray areas that occur .01% of the time where breaking the law will prevent loss of life/property. In that case, I think you have to look at the bigger picture (ie I see someone theiving something on the property next door, I'll trespass to prevent it).

Now, accidents do happen and you have to answer the music. Like the time I dumped a small mottled duck during teal season. Sure looked the same to me, and it was at legal shooting light, but overcast made it darker and this little feller sure acted like a teal. Should I have waited until proper light to recognize and identify? Yep. And yep, got checked, and fessed up. It was a mistake I paid for, but it was 100% my fault and I made no attempt to hide it.

Since then, I've passed on shots other might have taken. Why risk it? I enjoy just being out there (until I have to pack up the dekes, then it stinks!)

And exactly whats wrong with marrying your cousin?
Old November 10, 2008, 04:19 PM   #24
Daryl

I have a book here written by a retired Arizona game warden that took care of an area I still enjoy hunting. He's as good a guy as I've known.

In the book, he refers to the last sunday of deer season as "doe Sunday". Does are mostly illegal to take in Arizona, and he always said if someone was going to poach a doe for meat, they'd wait 'till the last dat they'd hunt before doing it. Most seasons end on a Monday or Thursday, but many folks can't hunt during the week, so they'd poach a doe on the last Sunday.

I reckon he caught his share of doe shooters over the years by paying special attention to shots late in the day on the last Sunday.

Daryl
Old November 10, 2008, 04:42 PM   #25
wpcexpert

I used to break a few laws. Killin does on buck only days, not checking in deer if I can get away with it, hunting with a surefire light on my stablizer. (Dang deer always came in just after dark)

But now, I stay on the curvy and narrow. The most bending I do now is I may hunt the on the sketchy side of the boundry line. But nothing major.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson