The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 28, 2014, 11:09 PM   #76
Snyper

Quote:
that's why gun manufacturers try to make their guns as appealing as possible.
Which manufacturers are advertising fake supressors as a selling point for their guns?

Haven't you yet realized the more you defend them, the more foolish you sound?
Old December 29, 2014, 10:33 AM   #77
Sharkbite

Quote:
Quote:
that's why gun manufacturers try to make their guns as appealing as possible.
Which manufacturers are advertising fake supressors as a selling point for their guns?

Haven't you yet realized the more you defend them, the more foolish you sound?

There is a German company that is making some VERY cool replicas of military weapons (GSG maybe?)

STG44's, UZI's, Thompsons and MP5's. All in 22lr. The MP5sd version has a fake can on it so it looks just like the real deal.

Dont call a man foolish just because his tastes are not the same as yours. He has worked to earn his money and can spend it on whatever he likes. Free country and all
Old December 30, 2014, 10:37 PM   #78
Snyper

Quote:
Dont call a man foolish just because his tastes are not the same as yours. He has worked to earn his money and can spend it on whatever he likes. Free country and all
It has nothing to do with his tastes, nor his spending

It's the claims about what fake supressors do, which in reality is nothing at all other than LOOK cool

Replicas are all about "appearance"
That's not applicable to most manufacturers

I don't care how he spends any money he earns, but don't try to tell me it's because of any "benefits" gained other than visual impressions
Old January 4, 2015, 06:19 PM   #79
creepyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite
The MP5sd version has a fake can on it so it looks just like the real deal.
that's a good point, i almost forgot about that. the mp5 is my favorite sub machine gun. it's very iconic, you can instantly recognize it when you see it. since it's not legal for individuals to own the real deal, the next best thing is the 22lr version made legal courtesy of the fake suppressor. another one of many benefits of the fake can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper
once again you have demonstrated your lack of reading comprehension skills. i never said they advertise fake suppressors as their selling point. i was pointing out that it does matter if a gun looks cool or not in general because that's one of the deciding factors when people purchase their guns.
the way i see it, modern guns from well-known manufacturers s&w, sig, walther, glock, springfield, h&k...shoot roughly equally well for my purposes(target shooting, home defense...) so my main deciding factor is looks. other things that are important to me are how iconic the gun is and price, in that order. i can't be the only one purchasing a gun based on the eye candy factor.

let's face it, the cooler a gun looks, the better it sells(other factors being roughly equal). at the end of the day, when i take my gun out of the case to go shooting, i have to like what i see.
Old January 4, 2015, 06:54 PM   #80
buckhorn_cortez

I think I'd rather have a real suppressor attached to a fake gun...
Old January 4, 2015, 08:04 PM   #81
Snyper

Quote:
Let's face it, the cooler a gun looks, the better it sells(other factors being roughly equal). at the end of the day, when i take my gun out of the case to go shooting, i have to like what i see.
If your theory was even remotely true, most guns would have fake suppressors.
You seem to be more concerned with how YOU look with your "cool" gun
Old January 6, 2015, 11:28 AM   #82
Sure shot wv

Ninja- how is it not legal for individuals to own an mp5? Minus the non free states, out of budget for a lot of people sure but not illegal.

I know a guy in Florida who is a collector and owns 3 of them.

There's lots of people in the US who own full autos and select fires.
Old January 6, 2015, 12:03 PM   #83
Snyper

Quote:
I know a guy in Florida who is a collector and owns 3 of them.

There's lots of people in the US who own full autos and select fires.
One of my best friends is a Class III dealer who has an MP-5 I can shoot anytime I feel like spending the money for the ammo

It's almost as much fun as the REAL suppressor on the 10/22

They most unusual I've fired so far was the MP5-k in a briefcase
Old January 6, 2015, 05:46 PM   #84
Sure shot wv

Snyper- the briefcase sounds like an awesome time. I haven't shot anything super cool yet. Granted full auto in anything to some people is once in a lifetime cool. A friend of mine is a class 3 dealer and has some cool stuff. I'm not a huge fan of the Kriss vectors but my buddy has a full auto one and that is an awesome gun.

I have another great friend who is a WWII collector and has some great machine guns. Other than that I don't get to play full auto very often. For me I'll just stick to my REAL suppressors and SBR's. One day ill own something with the rock and roll switch but until then Ill just enjoy the sounds of silence.
Old January 6, 2015, 05:57 PM   #85
jimbob86

Quote:
nah they're not like fake cigarettes. cigarettes are not illegal. try again.
Cigarettes without a Federal Tax Stamp are certainly illegal ....... just sayin' ....

IIRC, it's the same bunch from the Treasury Dept. that issues the Tax Stamps for both tobacco and NFA weapons, right?

..... Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Explosives and Firearms, mehbe?
Old January 15, 2015, 07:31 PM   #86
creepyNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper
You seem to be more concerned with how YOU look with your "cool" gun
nah i'm more concerned about how it looks in my display case, with or without real or fake silencer
Old January 16, 2015, 07:09 PM   #87
JimDandy

Quote:
anytime I feel like spending the money for the ammo
That's why I've never spent much time wishing for full auto. Frequent trips to Iowa and the resulting BATFE/LEO headache are why I've never been that interested in a real suppressor, let alone a fake one.
Old January 30, 2015, 02:53 PM   #88
Steamboatsig

Can a fake can, pinned, be enough to get your barrel to legal length? Like pinning a 1.5" flash hider on a 14.5" barrel?

In other words, can I pin a 6" fake can to a 10" barrel and be legal in California?

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old January 30, 2015, 03:01 PM   #89
CowTowner

Quote:
In other words, can I pin a 6" fake can to a 10" barrel and be legal in California?
That's going to depend on how California law is written. I'd speak to a firearms knowledgeable attorney in California before heading further down the rabbit hole.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 30, 2015, 03:17 PM   #90
Bill DeShivs

If the supressor is "blind pinned" it will be legal under federal law. Who knows about goofy Califonia.
Blind pinning is permanent. The pin goes into a one-sided hole and can't be removed. Regular pinning (with a through hole) is not sufficient to be called "permanent" under federal law.
Old January 30, 2015, 03:34 PM   #91
Steamboatsig

Blind pinning. Well there you go, a legitimate use for a fake suppressor. To get your barrel to a legal length. (pending California research).

Are you happy now Creepyninja?

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old January 30, 2015, 08:33 PM   #92
Tinbucket

fake suppressors

Never understood having one. It's kinda like kids playing who has the baddest looking cap gun or something.
When you shoot it everybody knows it's fake and wonders about your maturity.