The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 13, 2013, 03:04 PM   #101
Maxb49

Yes I know Al! I appreciate it!

We will be coming public shortly with a number of US Customs and Border Protection agents whose security is threatened with the New York Safe Act. These fine officers have contacted us and requested to join the effort.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:42 AM   #102
threewishes

Can anyone get a copy of the lawsuit that filed? I'd like to read it.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:04 AM   #103
Maxb49

Wow! So many gun websites and emails, so much to follow up on. Now I know what poor Ed Hubel goes through keeping people updated on the 12 GA FH (by the way, a great thread to follow if you haven't seen it yet!)

Things have been quiet for the past few days since attorneys have traveled in from as far away as Chicago, Boston, New York City and Washington to assist with the planning of the class action lawsuit (titled Richard Dywinski and David Lefkowitz v. State of New York, et. al.). Tresmond Law has now made tracking the case easier than ever if you're on Facebook. Just search for "Tresmond Law" and click "Like".

Also, If you emailed Mr. Tresmond, you should receive an email update from him within the next couple days. If you want to be updated and are not on the email list, please email him at [email protected]

Again, all interested persons who have not emailed Mr. Tresmond's legal team are encouraged to do so immediately to receive updates. They have been contacted by over 35,000 gun owners and are swamped with work. If you have emailed and did not receive a reply, do not worry, they can't answer everyone individually, although they would like to, but they will be sending out mass updates shortly.

Thank you for your support!
Old February 17, 2013, 02:34 PM   #104
Glenn E. Meyer

I wonder if various NY state psychological or psychiatric agencies have been contacted about the mental health provisions. The reporting rules seem to clearly break patient(client) / practioneer confidentiality.

Does the professional have to inform the client that he or she will be reported before therapies start? Seems to me that it would have to be that way.

Granted those professionals are probably antigun but they are usually very pro-confidentiality and against the demonization of those who need therapy.

The concern that those in need won't seek help as even innocuous firearms such as presidential skeet killer would be subject to sanctions.

The needs of police or veterans wouldn't be met by such reporting.
Old February 17, 2013, 03:58 PM   #105
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Granted those professionals are probably antigun but they are usually very pro-confidentiality and against the demonization of those who need therapy.
I'm not in NY state but my experience has been that they are nutso on the topic of confidentiality. Many years ago, for reasons not pertinent to this discussion, I wanted to see what I looked like on a Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI). At the time, I was vice-president of the board of directors for a mental health halfway house, and there was a practicing clinical psychologist on the board. So I asked him if I could take the MMPI through his office. He didn't offer it, but he set me up through a testing center that did offer it.

But he didn't have the results returned to me, he had them returned to him. So I had to go to his office, where he described the results of MY test to me, but wouldn't show them to me. When I asked for the report, he refused to give it to me, citing a state law. When I looked up the state law, it specifically applied to psychiatrists, not licensed clinical psychologists, and it prohibited releasing patient records to third parties without the patient's permission. Clearly, irrespective of the fact the law didn't even apply to him, I was not a third party and if I was asking for the test results, I was obviously giving my assent to releasing them to me. He still refused.

In the end, I had to arrange with another psychologist friend to have the results transferred to him ... whereupon he handed them to me.

So, yes, I think it's safe to say that at least some mind benders are concerned about confidentiality.
Old February 17, 2013, 04:23 PM   #106
2ndsojourn

^^^^"Clearly, irrespective of the fact the law didn't even apply to him, I was not a third party and if I was asking for the test results, I was obviously giving my assent to releasing them to me. He still refused."

That guy should have his head examined.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:14 PM   #107
Maxb49

Big News

Mr. Tresmond will be making a formal announcement at tomorrow night's SCOPE meeting.

This announcement will be a bombshell.

The media will definitely want to attend this press conference.
Old February 20, 2013, 10:20 PM   #108
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Dywinski v. State Of New York (SAFE Act Challenge)

Is the law firm making any effort to contact/alert major news outlets?
Old February 20, 2013, 10:33 PM   #109
Maxb49

Yes, absolutely.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:51 PM   #110
big_cigar

Fight back while court battle goes on

Do Not Get a Hunting License this year.

The SAFE was railroaded through by Cuomo in the 11th hour.
It is now Law.

As of now it will take the Supreme Court to change it. That could take years.

The Counties have been fighting back by passing non binding resolutions against the SAFE act, but that is just noise, good noise but just noise.

There has been some talk about not getting hunting or fishing licenses this year.
If successful that could cost the Governor millions. I think that could make a real statement.

Every little bit helps when we are trying to get through the Governors skull.
He did the wrong thing to all gun owners and we must all stick together.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:11 PM   #111
Dr Big Bird PhD

I don't think Cuomo realizes this bill just destroyed any chance he ever had of being elected to POTUS.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old February 21, 2013, 02:12 PM   #112
2ndsupporter

Come on max your killing me here. Leak it.
Old February 21, 2013, 03:02 PM   #113
MWalsh

I heard today hunting license costs and fishing licenses are going to go down in cost by about 1/3rd. I think any boycott on them will be totally impotent, unfortunately.
Old February 21, 2013, 10:14 PM   #114
amathis

Any news on what was said?
Old February 22, 2013, 12:20 AM   #115
Maxb49

First of all, something I've got to clear up: No one from Tresmond Law has ever solicited funds for this case. There are some real unscrupulous anti gun cowards who are posing as us asking for money.

I am the only source on the Internet forums who can confirm or deny anything about thre case. Mr. Tresmond is putting the finishing touches on the email list, and has a Facebook page. Other attorneys are remaining anonymous. I have been tasked with maintaining a forum presence.

I am Maximillian Tresmond.

If you see anyone soliciting funds under our name, please report them to me immediately. It is criminal fraud.

On to the good news. My father has formally announced that the plaintiffs have requested a trial by jury for all issues of fact in the case. This brings the SAFE Act before a jury of our peers in Erie County, New York. There is no question at this point the State will work diligently to dismiss the case before it gets to trial.

The country is watching. This is our moment for gun rights, and for civil rights.

Onward.
Old February 22, 2013, 01:14 AM   #116
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Just to confirm what Max has said: Class action lawsuit against SAFE Act | WIVB.com. There is a 2:32 minute news clip on this page.

The suit is filed. Since part of the Act engages on April 15 and the next court date is April 25th, it is natural to ask for an injunction. And since the suit is filed, it can now become a class action suit. Demanding a Jury trial puts the onus on the common people rather than a judge, to determine the constitutionality of the law.

Added to this that there are some small political consequences in being a sitting Governor being called to the witness stand and defending your own law... Remembering that Cuomo is on record as saying that he won't be taking New Yorkers' guns... Can't imagine how that one will play in front of a jury!
Old February 22, 2013, 07:03 AM   #117
bird_dog

"Next witness, Mr. Tresmond".

"Mr Cuomo, as a sitting governor, surely you are aware of the Constitution of the United States of America. Are you not?"

Gold, Jerry, GOLD!!!
Old February 22, 2013, 07:10 AM   #118
MWalsh

As much as I'd like to see Cuomo up there on witness stand I give the chances of it happening over NY Safe about .0000000000000000001%.
Old February 22, 2013, 08:33 AM   #119
Maxb49

MWalsh,

Think of it this way. My father has actually raised issues of fact in this case, not just issues of law. This is straight from my father, right now:

Gun ownership, a fundamental right, is being infringed upon by the NY SAFE. Act. It is an issue of fact to determine whether or not the State used less restrictive means in accomplishing a legitimate state objective.

He has to answer the questions. If he doesnt show, then he will have to be deposed and his testimony read into the record.

The chance of either of these happening if the case is not dismissed before trial? 100%
Old February 22, 2013, 08:42 AM   #120
MWalsh

Good! I certainly know very little about law, I just would be surprised to see Cuomo up there. I hope you guys can keep his feet to the fire on it!
Old February 22, 2013, 09:51 AM   #121
ChrisWNY

Max - thanks for keeping us informed across the various forums. The NY legislature THINKS they have set the way forward for other States across the US to enact frivolous unconstitutional gun ban laws. I believe your father is capable of completely reversing that, perhaps NY will be the first State to have all frivolous gun restriction laws removed, finally bringing the unconstitutionality and violation of civil rights to light!
Old February 22, 2013, 01:45 PM   #122
UncleWilley

Max - Thanks again for all your efforts and to you and your dad for your presentation and Q&A at last nights SCOPE mtg!!!

A couple of questions:
  1. I am curious about one issue that was raised at the mtg. In addition to the current lawsuit, is there any possibility of a "criminal" case against the gov legislative leaders who "conspired" to violate the "civil rights" of NY citizens"?
  1. Is there any possibility of addressing the extremely long wait for pistol permits? At present, in Erie County, people are routinely waiting 12-15 months for pistol permits.

IMO the current process is extremely "arbitrary and capricious". People in one county may be able to obtain a permit days or weeks while in another county it takes over a year. Also, the decision as to whether one receives an unrestricted or restricted carry permit is totally up to the whim of the judge.
Old February 22, 2013, 02:24 PM   #123
MWalsh

Is there a video (youtube) of last night's meeting?
Old February 23, 2013, 06:35 PM   #124
Progress

There is a line out the door of the pistol permit office every day at the ECCO.

They've hired two more workers just to handle the volume. I can't imagine what the wait time is.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:38 PM   #125
JimDandy

Quote:
I am curious about one issue that was raised at the mtg. In addition to the current lawsuit, is there any possibility of a "criminal" case against the gov legislative leaders who "conspired" to violate the "civil rights" of NY citizens"?
Is this possible? We've got a guy out here in our state legislature who's tried three times to pass a warrantless search bill for gun owners, and he keeps claiming accident. Would be nice to get him on the stand trying to explain how he did the same thing accidentally three times while avoiding perjury. Which probably means he won't get on the stand.