The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Mehefski

Jammin and burnin

I am loading 45 ACPs with Win Auto Comp. I'm using 200gn Rn.
They are jamming and have powder burns down the sides of the case.
The chart says to use 6.7 - 7.0 gns. I started at
6.0gns and was getting jams and burns so I went to 5.4 and still got them.
I went down to 5.0gns and got no burns but lost my recoil.
Any ideas? Should I go to 230gn bullets? The gun shoots great with Accurate#2 at the chart loads...
I also put a slight crimp on the cases..
Help!
Old March 3, 2014, 01:21 PM   #2
jwrowland77

Chart says 6.7-7 and you used 6.0?

I'd say start at 6.7. You probably won't have the jams and the burns will go away as you should have more pressure for the case to close off more.
Old March 3, 2014, 01:55 PM   #3
mehavey

^^^^^^^
There's a reason it's call "Minimum" load.
At 5gr I'd be wondering about making the muzzle.
Old March 3, 2014, 02:27 PM   #4
TATER

Why are you going backwards..
Please, Please be aware, Some powders will not tolerate being reduced like that.. You can really hurt yourself and damage the firearm.
Old March 3, 2014, 07:37 PM   #5
dickttx

Yep, you are going backwards. Both are signs of too low loads.
Start at your minimum load and work up.
Old March 3, 2014, 08:56 PM   #6
noylj

Tater: it isn't called a minimum load, it is called a starting load.
5.0gn of any powder will make the muzzle. It is down at 1.0gn and less where you can stick a bullet (that is why almost ALL squibs are NO POWDER loads).

"Burn" on the side of the case means that pressure was so low that the case couldn't expand to seal the chamber.
They are jamming because there isn't enough recoil to cycle the slide. This is all discussed in any good manual.
This may be an insult, but have you read any manuals?
Old March 3, 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
mnoirot64

I'm sure your issues will clear up when you get up to the published minimum load. I'm a bit surprised the slide cycled at all with your 6 gr load.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:29 PM   #8
CS86

The posts above are good comments. Keep in mind if you are trying to go with any lower charge, then the recommended starting point, to be caution that the bullet does clear the barrel. If something just didn't sound right upon firing, disassemble and check things over. Make sure to read the loading manuals. I haven't seen it with pistols, but some rifles highly advise not to undercharge a certain powder due to radical pressure. Follow the books and you should be good.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:58 PM   #9
Wreck-n-Crew

Autocomp will soot up when undercharged and burn much cleaner when proper load is reached. I have found my 9mm sooty and after discovering my scale being off I got my charge up proper and they look identical to WW.

When you drop the charge too much you will see the slide start to short stroke like that.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:53 PM   #10
Sierra280

I only reload for rifles, so this thread is kind of interesting.

Is secondary explosive effect only a danger to bottleneck cartridges? Reduced loads can be catastrophic in a rifle.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Mehefski

Thanks to all for the advice! I will bring the loads up to the proper amounts and see if that makes it right. It's a great resource having you to go to when I can't think of the cure. I really appreciate the friendly answers, but will take the sarcasm too, we all learn by our mistakes and with the help of others kind enough to share their knowledge.
Old March 4, 2014, 01:32 AM   #12
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
Thanks to all for the advice! I will bring the loads up to the proper amounts and see if that makes it right. It's a great resource having you to go to when I can't think of the cure. I really appreciate the friendly answers, but will take the sarcasm too, we all learn by our mistakes and with the help of others kind enough to share their knowledge.
NP. BE safe and keep distractions away when reloading!

Quote:
Is secondary explosive effect only a danger to bottleneck cartridges?
Some say a "Secondary Explosion" (SEE) in rifle cartridges are more akin to Bigfoot than to an actual secondary explosion from a "light" load. I am not saying it don't exist, but like so many sightings and claims it really makes it hard to see through all the Smoke. I have read and talked to people and it's hard to find two people in the same place with the same opinion on the subject.

Everything from double charges to misrepresented hangfire's and wrong powders being used without data while guessing their way through it have been to blame equally as much as a Secondary Explosion Effect (SEE). Just really hard to tell from where I'm standing.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Sierra280

There actually is solid scientific data to back up 'SEE'

The Dec. 2012 issue of Handloader had an article titled "Chamber Pressure Revelations"

"In simplest terms, a pressure excursion occurs when a reduced load of smokeless powder leaves significant unoccupied space in a cartridge case. The primer ignites the powder nearest the flash hole, which begins to burn and creates a pressure wave. This wave races forward to the base of the bullet and the shoulder of the case and is reflected back where it encounters additional pressure waves resulting from the progressive burning of the powder. The collision of these waves, for want of a better term, can result in a sudden "shock" wave and potentially destructive pressure excursion"

The article gives all the tests used and numbers and technical data to back it up. Although in re-reading it I answered my own question, as the phenomenon is associated with slow burning powders (h4831 e.g).

If nothing else Saint Ackley believed it happened, that's good enough for me!!