The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 19, 2005, 11:28 PM   #1
Mr.XD9mm

Self Defense Rounds?Saw in Cabellas Catalog

Looking at my Cabellas shooting catalog and wondered if anyone has tried shooting these through their XD9 or any other semi brand.
Hornady Custom Handgun ammo claims to penetrate to terminal depths and expand one and a half times their size with their XTP pistol bullets.

PMC offers the StarFire ammo that claim to peel back 1.7 times the diameter at impact with integrity of 98% in gelatin.

Hornaday also has something called TAP Personal Defense Ammo which claims Law Enforcement and Military use that has zero muzzle flash for night shooting and have a black nickel coating for easy feeding.

Anyone know if these are worth the extra bucks or does the JHP or HP's do the trick?
Old September 24, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2
timothy75

Thats an impossible question but I will say its a good idea to get some premium ammo for your duty guns. All those you mentioned are good. I recomend Corbon.
Old September 24, 2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Mark54g

I saw some CorBon testing first hand with some of the Hornady copper bullets and it was pretty damn impressive. The PMC Starfire JHPs look impressive too, and I believe they were designed by the same guy that made HydroShok for Federal.
I would probably feel safe if they worked in my gun.
Old September 24, 2005, 10:57 PM   #4
Mr.XD9mm

How long has Corbon been around?

On the answer of Corbon bullets how long have they been around?
What type of results have they had with them negative and postive?
What kind of prices do they run and where to get them?
Old September 25, 2005, 07:02 PM   #5
gfen

Stopped by the (mostly) local Cabela's today and ended up with a box of the Hornady XTP.

Why? Coz its the only one on the shelves in .38spl standard, not +P. I think I'd rather have purchased Federal Hydrashoks if for no other reason than they look far more exciting. Heh.

Anyways, I'm sure they'll do their job. I'm sure the 158gr LRN WWB I replaced would do their job, too.
Old September 25, 2005, 08:47 PM   #6
Jkwas

PMC Starfire

I use pmc starfire in both 125gn 38spl+p and 124gn 9mm. Both work well and are very accurate. Also reasonably priced.
Old September 25, 2005, 08:57 PM   #7
BobK

Corbon here too. Starfire isn't hot enough and the loads are not consistent unless they have changed recently.
Old September 25, 2005, 09:01 PM   #8
ethernectar

I keep CorBon +P rounds loaded in my HD gun (a Sig). A very fast, expansive hollow point. I have some concerns about over-penetration where I live.

My reloading is all for the range. I've shot the CorBon rounds enough to ensure they function, but they're too spendy for range-use.