The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 24, 2000, 11:28 AM   #1
abruzzi

I have a new Glock 17, ser no DSK8XXUS, with less than 500 rounds thru it. Yesterday I had my first malfunction of any type -- I was of course in the process of explaining to my 23 year old nephew that Glocks NEVER jam, when it promptly elected to do so.

Here's the problem. The slide would not retract, regardless of the amount of effort. So I removed the slide and the spring and attempted to pull out the barrel. But it has a round in it -- I hate so say it but I honestly don't know if it is live or not -- and the round appears to be extending out of the barrell about 1/10th of an inch. This apparently makes it impossible to lift the barrel out.

Anyway, after tucking this baby safely away, I came home and have tried with varying degrees of vigor to get the barrell out. I have replaced the slide and again tried to rack it as a means of extracting the round. No go.

I read a thread from some time ago on avoiding future jams. But I gotta get this round out first. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old December 24, 2000, 12:23 PM   #2
9x45

You can check to see if the round is live by putting a pen down the barrel first, note the depth, and compare to the outside of the slide. If the round was fired, the pen will allmost reach the breach face, it not, it will be at the front of the chamber. sounds like you were shooting reloads, and jammed an uncrimped round into the barrel. what you need to do is remove the inspection plate off the back of the slide, and take out the striker, plunger and safety. There are graphics for this at GlockMeister.com Then place the slide in a padded vice, and tap the barrel hood downward with a wooden or brass drift. After the barrel comes out, you will need to drift the round out of the barrel.
Old December 26, 2000, 10:00 PM   #3
abruzzi

Thanks for the suggestion. I used a triangular file, gently, to determine that the round had discharged, and a friend and I arm wrestled the barrel out and then pried the empty case out of the barrel. He and I have both had this happen now using Wolf 9mm ammo. Just like the handloads you mentioned, it expanded and in fact did not fully seat in the barrell. Last use of Wolf by me in this gun.

Old December 27, 2000, 03:15 PM   #4
john carney

this was a amo promlem not a Glock problem. dont feel bad though I have seen worse with bran new factory amo.