The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2010, 03:50 PM   #1
WookieRookie

Bullet stuck!

Hey guys, got a question. Just came back from the range. My trip ended early due to a bullet getting stuck in the barrel. It was right at the rifling. I am 99.9% there was a full 4.2 gr charge of 231 (147 gr xtp 9mm load). Im very careful when loading. The slide didn't slide back, and the report from the shot sounded normal. When I racked the slide, the case popped out, an was covered in black soot. Completely covered. There are no signs of high pressure, everything else seems fine. Any idea what could have happened?
Old December 27, 2010, 03:53 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Sounds like it was not at the charge you thought it was... it couldnt have been oversized bullet...or it wouldnt have chambered without jamming
Old December 27, 2010, 03:53 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Sounds like that .1% uncertainty finally got you. (and .1% is actually pretty good)
Old December 27, 2010, 03:54 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Right at the rifling, like the chamber end I assume?

If there was powder that didn't ignite for some reason it would pour out when you opened the slide. The black soot comes most likely from the primer or possibly a small charge of powder.

You had a squib load, with little or no powder.

I can't imagine how the shot could "sound normal" but everything else you describe is a classic example of an uncharged round.
Old December 27, 2010, 03:56 PM   #5
demigod

No worries. Bump the bullet out and move on. I like to get a visual of every powder charge I set a bullet over. You can usually tell if there's a normal looking charge in the case.

If the bullet only made it a little into the rifling, I bet there was little or no powder in there at all.
Old December 27, 2010, 04:02 PM   #6
WookieRookie

Guess it's possible I missed one when loading. Got a wooden rod and bumped it out fairly easily after dropping some oil down there. Best part, tgr "range master" grabbed a phillis head screwdriver to try and push it out. Yikes!
Old December 27, 2010, 04:14 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I keep a spare cleaning rod in my range bag for the unexpected squib. I have had 3 of them in the many thousands of rounds I have shot over the past year. One of those was from my own handloads. The other two came from factory ammo..
The one that was my own handload was a magnum load with H-110. I learned to not reduce it to below the recomended starting load , and since have not had the problem.
There seems to be two camps as far as squibs go.
1 Those that have had one.
2 Those that almost ceartianly will have one eventualy.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:51 PM   #8
HeroHog

Here is mine. ALL the loads for this gun were hand loads as factory ammo is all but unobtainable! It is an AMT AutoMag III in 9mm Winchester Magnum (9x29):

I knew when I pulled the trigger it was an underpowered round and called "SQUIB!" and the line shut down. I dropped the magazine, racked the slide making sure it was unloaded and inspecting the casing then looked in the muzzle only to find the projectile RIGHT at there!

I pulled the barrel and pushed out the round with a cleaning rod and continued shooting without any more issues. It was quite easy to tel a light round as the normal rounds pack quite a punch.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old December 27, 2010, 11:35 PM   #9
WookieRookie

That's what I thought. Mine felt normal. At least to me it did. I've shot some under powered loads, but this one barely engaged the rifling. Just a primed charge maybe?
Old December 29, 2010, 05:07 PM   #10
700cdl

Yep, you missed one. I have to be honest and say in over 25 years of hand loading I've never missed one. But, I do it a little different than most. I'm the type of guy who never gets over confident with my process and with that I mean I physically inspect every case before I seat. Also, I weight every charge and have never wanted to use a volmetric powder measure. I only load the slowest of burning powders also, which makes the powder charge a lot more visable due to the heavy charge being close to the mouth.