The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 1, 2010, 04:04 PM   #51
LOUD

Yes A Glock 23 right beside the bed on the night stand next to my alarm clock .I occasionaly hit the snooze for me and if any uninvited persons wake me up with ill intent, it will be SNOOZE for them!.....LOUD
Old September 1, 2010, 04:11 PM   #52
saltydog452

Back several years ago, prior to air conditioning in commercial vehicles, it wasn't unknown for a driver to take a nap with the window down and the door latch unscrewed.

I had a PPK. It had about a 15 lb 1st shot DA trigger pull. The PPK was 'kinda' safe to keep close to/in hand.

It should be no surprise that courtesy was important. Heinlin nailed it. Never heard of him then.

Not many recklessly jumped on the running board. Even the 'working girls' knocked on the door. You might be surprised how a swat from 4 cell Mag light forcefully applied across the knuckles would alter the thinking of a would be intruder.

There was no defense against Mosquitos though.

salty
Old September 1, 2010, 04:37 PM   #53
thesheepdog

A 1911, AR-15, combat knife and tac LED light all are next to my bed at night.
Old September 1, 2010, 05:16 PM   #54
summitrt

Too risky at this point in my life. The alarm would give me enough time to get one unlocked though. I have small children.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:00 PM   #55
Creade

Just received my mini gunvault deluxe today.
With a baby on the way, we no longer have one on the nightstand.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:03 PM   #56
TylerD45ACP

LOL, Disco. If you saw a pic of his nightstand . It would take 15+ armed criminals to even make a dent .
Old September 1, 2010, 07:31 PM   #57
TailGator

No kids in the house, so the nightstand drawer has, from right to left, my carry pistol (loaded and chambered), a spare mag, and a small LED flashlight. In hotel rooms, I arrange them the same way in the nightstand drawer so that I can put my hands on them without thinking.
Old September 1, 2010, 07:35 PM   #58
DiscoRacing

Tyler... I DO need a bigger nightstand.... since that pic was taken I have bought 3 more .357s and a 45LC.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:22 PM   #59
Cool_Hand

Quote:
I keep a Smith & Wesson, .357 Magnum, K-frame, 4” barrel, DA, six shot revolver, Serial Number 69069, made in 1956, with some holster wear on the tip of the barrel, some scratches on the grip, with traces of the indexing pawl around the cylinder, with the finish showing wear but still in good shape, which I got for a decent price from a pawn shop in 1982, loaded with Winchester .357 Magnum, 110 gr., JHP, which I bought at Wal-Mart, in a nightstand drawer.
haha sorry but this made me laugh, I thought the description of your firearm would stop after every other word but it just kept going. I think I know more about your firearm than my own.
Old September 1, 2010, 09:24 PM   #60
hoytinak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayInTx
I keep a Smith & Wesson, .357 Magnum, K-frame, 4” barrel, DA, six shot revolver, Serial Number 69069, made in 1956, with some holster wear on the tip of the barrel, some scratches on the grip, with traces of the indexing pawl around the cylinder, with the finish showing wear but still in good shape, which I got for a decent price from a pawn shop in 1982, loaded with Winchester .357 Magnum, 110 gr., JHP, which I bought at Wal-Mart, in a nightstand drawer.
Which pawn shop?
Old September 1, 2010, 09:26 PM   #61
Young.Gun.612

I keep my Sigma loaded on my nightstand at all times.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:02 PM   #62
biohazurd

i have 2 night stands on both sides of my bed they have a variety of handguns on them. Colt 1911,Ruger gp100 6" glock 17 with 33rounder. ect ect. and thats just the handguns ha ha
Old September 1, 2010, 10:32 PM   #63
TylerD45ACP

Haha Disco. I think you should just get a giant safe near your bed and keep it open. lol.
Old September 1, 2010, 10:56 PM   #64
Crankylove

My carry gun gets tucked between mattress and box springs at night. Nice and close and easy to get to in a hurry, but out of the way so I don't have to worry about bumpin it while asleep.
Old September 1, 2010, 11:47 PM   #65
chrisbarcelo

Not really on the bed though, but on the floor under the bed cocked and locked.
Old September 2, 2010, 12:31 AM   #66
raimius

I would not have a loaded gun within reach while sleeping. I would prefer to have it in a quick opening safe, or similar set-up.

Every once in a while I find myself waking from a dream and already moving. I wouldn't want to risk having a loaded firearm within reach, without some layer of security between a bad dream and a bad day...
Old September 2, 2010, 01:04 AM   #67
RicardoX

It was around the end of November 1950, we were about 40 miles south of the Yalu River at the time. The battalion was in reserve, so we weren’t on the front line. It was cold and we had a few bonfires going. We had some roving guards pulling security for us. During the night, one of our sergeants got up to ****. He spotted a group of short horses and men passing through our area. He knew that wasn’t right and he jumped up on our mess truck which had a ring mounted .50 on it. He opened up on the group of Chinese and the horses. After he started shooting it was utter chaos. I was asleep in my sleeping bag, but when I heard the first shot I opened my eyes. Standing directly over the top of me was a Chinese soldier with a Russian submachine gun. He was kicking my rifle away from my side. I cocked the pistol and fired at him through the sleeping bag three or four times. After the first shot I couldn’t see because feathers were flying everywhere. I only hit him one time, in the head, I’m not sure if it was the first shot or the second, third or fourth. The round knocked him over. My sleeping bag was ruined; it had a big 15-inch gash in it. The next day I discovered that the slide of the pistol had left marks on my chest. It’s amazing that the pistol functioned in the bag like that.
Old September 2, 2010, 01:36 AM   #68
stokesj19

Since I don't have any kids I modified a nylon holster to fit inbetween my mattress, and headboard. It was a cheapy walmart one with a spare mag pouch. I use the spare mag pouch for a small flashlight, and it always has my P2000 with 12+1 .40 hammer back. I love it because you can be in my room, look for it and still can't find it. The way I sleep my fingers literally rest on top of it. I also do not believe someone would be able to get into my bedroom without my 100lbs golden retriever waking me.
Old September 2, 2010, 10:53 AM   #69
saltydog452

I haven't had a cigarette in a couple or three years now, but the nicotine/lifestyle addiction has had a 50+ year head start. I still, on occasion, dream about smoking. Some of the dreams are kinda vivid. I don't wake with the engine warmed up, all cylinders firing, and hit the deck running thrse days.

Our house guns are either DAO/striker Kahrs or revolvers. They can not be reached w/o me standing up and taking a step or two. My bride does not have this limitation. A 747 could land on the roof, and she might mumble something about the racket. Let one of the Grand-Kids cough, and she is wide awake. Mars and Venus I guess.

Motel 6, Red Roof, HJ, and the like are a bit different. Tritium Night Sights on the night stand or across the room, offer a sense of place and orientation when you wake to something that goes 'bump' at 0300 in the parking lot or hallway.

Since metal keys granting unlimited, (at least 'till the lock was changed) ,access to your rented room aren't common these days, solid core doors, and cell phones are, such thinking may not be necessary. I don't know.

Unless I'm in a sleeping bag or some such place, it'd be foolish for me to sleep with a pistol in hand. It has happened, but less frequently these days.

Sorry for the length. Sometime there is too much unsaid and its hard to stop.

My bad,

salty

Last edited by saltydog452; September 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old September 2, 2010, 11:02 AM   #70
thesheepdog

Quote:
It was around the end of November 1950, we were about 40 miles south of the Yalu River at the time. The battalion was in reserve, so we weren’t on the front line. It was cold and we had a few bonfires going. We had some roving guards pulling security for us. During the night, one of our sergeants got up to ****. He spotted a group of short horses and men passing through our area. He knew that wasn’t right and he jumped up on our mess truck which had a ring mounted .50 on it. He opened up on the group of Chinese and the horses. After he started shooting it was utter chaos. I was asleep in my sleeping bag, but when I heard the first shot I opened my eyes. Standing directly over the top of me was a Chinese soldier with a Russian submachine gun. He was kicking my rifle away from my side. I cocked the pistol and fired at him through the sleeping bag three or four times. After the first shot I couldn’t see because feathers were flying everywhere. I only hit him one time, in the head, I’m not sure if it was the first shot or the second, third or fourth. The round knocked him over. My sleeping bag was ruined; it had a big 15-inch gash in it. The next day I discovered that the slide of the pistol had left marks on my chest. It’s amazing that the pistol functioned in the bag like that.
Cool story!!!
Old September 2, 2010, 11:27 AM   #71
EricReynolds

I have 2 kids aged 3 and 5 that still often crawl in to bed with me, and my son in particular likes guns. He's such a little boy! He knows to never touch Daddy's "fire guns" and he only plays with water guns, but he also knows not to sneak cookies, but he does that. I have to keep them in the vault on my days, but on the 2 days a week that they stay at my ex-wife's, I keep my main pistol on the night stand. As a reflex, when I hear a noise, car alarm, screaming, etc. I'm awake with it in hand. It heightens my sense of security. Incidentally Hogdog, it rests right next to the same model Mustang Shelby GT!
Old September 2, 2010, 11:52 AM   #72
Edward429451

I always place my clothes and weapons so that I can find them in the dark. A side benefit of nite sites is being able to spot it in the dark. I have a 1911 within reach but not in bed. My 870 is close, my AR is in the room. The dog will give me advance warning. I sleep light and come fully awake quickly.

My Wife made me quit bringing the AR under the covers with us (sic)
Old September 2, 2010, 12:11 PM   #73
siggygirl

So you really do heed the advice of Lazarus Long, Edward? LOL

This thread made me think about the clothes part really. I should have clothes near me in the dark while I'm sleeping. Having been beat nekid by a roommate years ago was awful I didn't need a gun, but clothes would've been nice.

And nobody PM me about nekid or how I sleep or anything like that. Just pretend I'm a guy, then picture me nekid and that should deter you. Seriously, treat the ladies with respect or we will go away.
Old September 2, 2010, 12:18 PM   #74
thesheepdog

Quote:
This thread made me think about the clothes part really.
...also a good idea to keep your general walking area free of obstructions (clothing) at night. I just thought about that this morning; as I get up in the wee early hours of the morning, tripping over stuff in the dark is not fun!!!!
Old September 2, 2010, 12:35 PM   #75
pgdion

Clothes, not a bad idea

Clothes by the bed, not a bad idea. Funny, I always drop my pants by the bed when i get in, sometimes my shirt too (if it's a clean one). I've always thought I was being to lazy to hang them in the closet but it's bed time when I drop them and morning when I pick them up to put on so who cares? Now I realize I'm not lazy, I'm just being well prepared in case I have to grab some pants fast!