The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 25, 2006, 11:49 AM   #1
5whiskey

I need help with airsoft...

I've already thought through the pros and cons of training with them. I live in a pretty rural area, so there are no ranges close by. The good thing? I don't need a range, I can shoot almost anywhere (don't hate). BUT, I'm trying to be creative (and it's raining today and i'm PO'd that I can't go out and shoot), and I think airsoft could be a cheap alternative to train with.

The question is this...

I'm not paying $150 dollars for a gas operated airsoft pistol, I'm thinking more on the lines of a spring or maybe electric operated one. About 30 or 40 dollars is all I care to put in one. Cheap/tightwad? You bet, but I've been doing so much with so little for so long that now I can do almost anything with nothing.

Coming to the point, are spring operated pistols semi-auto, or do you have to charge the slide before every shot. I know the cheaper ones aren't exactly to scale with weight and material, but that's alright. It's mainly to practice dynamic shooting in the house, I'm trying to keep from blowing $60 a week on .45 acp. I would like a detachable magazine and the basic functions to work (i.e. grip safety, thumb safety, mag release).

Would anyone more familiar with this stuff than myself help, please. Thanks
Old June 25, 2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Ftom14cat

yeah, if you buy one of the cheap springer pistols you are going to have to rack the slide each shot....you never really get used to it.
Old June 25, 2006, 11:56 AM   #3
wolfdog45

I have two of the Taurus airsoft pistols that i got from wal-mart.
They are battery operated 4 AAA I think it takes.
They only cost around $24 each.
they are semi automatic and they hold 16 rounds, The slide goes back and forth everytime you fire like the real Taurus pistol. They are real fun to play with.
Hope this helps.
Old June 25, 2006, 12:01 PM   #4
5whiskey

Thanks... I'm gonna look into a walmart special later on. I'm sorry for posting this without reading another thread first, I pretty much answered all my questions by reading further into another thread.
Old July 4, 2006, 01:44 PM   #5
GSB

I bought a spring loaded S&W 1911 version. Yes, it's a recock for each shot. However, I bought it for one very specific reason: to practice drawstroke to first shot since I am not allowed to do that at the local ranges. This model is weighted, which I found extremely important for drawstroke prectice after disappointing results with a cheap, unweighted model, and all the 1911 controls work like the real thing, including the grip safety.

I think that if one were really serious about using it as a training tool, the very expensive green gas jobs would be the way to go, but they just seemed like too much of hassle for what I wanted it for.
Old July 4, 2006, 10:25 PM   #6
OneInTheChamber

Wheeler, for any serious training; you need

a. Gas blow back pistol. Functions exactly like your real counterpart. Many models from 1911's to Glocks to Sigs to Revolvers even. The operate on compressed green gas.

b. AEG (Automatic Electric Gun); fully automatic, full scale versions of rifles. Beware of any cheap clones (anything under $200 is a clone)

Spring pistols, electric pistols, and spring pistols will get you a fun toy; but not something accurate enough to have any training value.
Old July 4, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Venison_Jerkey32

it depends

I think it just depends. I have lots of experience with airsoft, more than i do with actual firearms, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt. All I can tell you is my experience with airsoft. The spring weapons do need to be racked each time, and the battery powered pistols rack the slide once you pull the trigger, so there is a slight delay. The more top of the line electric and gas guns are mostly full auto, so that wouldn't be very helpfull for training. However, i do own a spring shotgun which you rack just like a pump each shot. It is all plastic and very light wieght, but for practicing clearing the house or indoors shotgun combat it would be pretty accurate, except for the feel. Anyways, these are just some things that I have observed. Hopefully the help. The last two things I have to say are, 1: when I opened up my 1:1 sig p229 replica, the wieght came from two blocks of metal that were in there to give it wieght, and 2: in the city it is technically illegal to fire air-soft guns. just fyi. Hope I could help.
~Will~
Old July 4, 2006, 10:42 PM   #8
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Airsoft and paintball are only borderline permissible subjects here, and then only when the subject matter pertains to using them in leiu of real firearms in tactics and training, for the purpose of improving actual firearm techniques.

This thread started off on that note, but as I feared, it's quickly moving towards a discussion of Airsoft equipment, minus the firearms tactics & training.

Bring this one back on topic, please!

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 5, 2006, 05:56 PM   #9
OneInTheChamber

I'll say it better this time: If you want something that will replicate the actual functioning of your firearm; you need a gas blow back (for handguns) or an AEG for rifles (which will shoot BOTH semi and FA).

A spring gun is not a training aid. Nor is an electric pistol. They are toys.

I have had every type of airsoft gun mentioned her in my personal collection. From spring handguns, electric handguns, to gas handguns and full metal, full auto rifles.

A gas gun can be a valuable aid to LE; as you can get your exact service weapon that will fit all your holsters, etc. and practice with it in situations you can't practice with the real thing.
Old July 6, 2006, 10:24 AM   #10
Raptor5191

You can also practice FOF ECQB work with the more expensive rifles as well as the gas blow back handguns. However, they all fail in not being able to replicate FTF/FTE drills.
Old July 6, 2006, 08:15 PM   #11
Wyo Cowboy

I use an "airsoft" type of pistol which mimics the dimensions of my duty weapon. I use it in the basement when the weather is too bad to be out at the range (sub-zero temps; winds blowing over the target stands; etc), or when I don't have the opprotunity to get to the range for a few days. Not as good as actual range time, but a lot better than nothing.
Old July 18, 2006, 01:04 AM   #12
symr00

Gas Blowback airsoft make excellent practice/FOF tools if you get one in a similar one as you carry. If you want quality and real-life training then you are going to have to spend the $100 or so. Is your training not worth it? That's only 500rds of .45acp. If you want to be cheap then just practice drawing and trigger control with dry-fire for 15 minutes a day.
Old July 20, 2006, 10:53 PM   #13
TexiCali Slim

I have the spring loaded S&W M4505

It's pretty powerfull for a spring pistol, I darn near shot my buddys eye out with it (he hid behind a car showing only his face) at about 15 yards. Just be carefull about what ammo you buy (dont cheap out), with those weak guns it really makes a difference in accuracy (I prefer the grey High Impact). You should have a good time!

Last edited by TexiCali Slim; July 21, 2006 at 12:05 PM.