The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 8, 2013, 02:52 PM   #1
toolmaan

AR 15 value

I have a guy wanting to trade me a ar15 for a jet ski. I am asking $950 for the jet ski. Anyhow I dont' know much a bout ar15's, I know the brand is high standard, and it has a 16" barrel and comes with a 1 magazine. Pics of it look great. What are they worth? I see online they are selling for anywhere between $700 to $1100, is that about the value? It does have a bipod stand on the front. Thanks
Old July 8, 2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Erno86

You'll probably be better off in just buying a brand new AR. I would ask him how many rounds has been shot thru the barrel. If you have somebody with a bore scope...it might be good to check-out for stress cracks in the barrel throat.
Most AR owners abuse their AR's, buy firing to many consecutive rounds thru the barrel, thus allowing the barrel to heat up past the critical 180 degree F. mark.

I only rapid fire my centerfire semi auto's 6 rounds at a time, before I allow the barrel to cool down. If the barrel is to hot too touch, it has reached or surpassed the 180 degree mark; that causes stress cracks in the bore.

Before I would buy the gun...I would do a live fire function test of the rifle, with inspection of the spent cartridges.

--- George Orwell
Old July 8, 2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Fishbed77

FYI - A brand new Colt 6920 will cost you $1097 at Wal-Mart and a "mil-spec" 16" carbine from PSA can be had for under $800.
Old July 8, 2013, 04:22 PM   #4
tobnpr

You need the specs, to have any idea of value.
Could be anywhere from five or six bills, to several grand if built from quality components, or from a top tier manufacturer. Optic, if it has one, also determines value.

You're just guessing, otherwise. Get some more info and update your thread.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 8, 2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Theohazard

Quote:
Erno86 posted
Most AR owners abuse their AR's, buy firing to many consecutive rounds thru the barrel, thus allowing the barrel to heat up past the critical 180 degree F. mark.

I only rapid fire my centerfire semi auto's 6 rounds at a time, before I allow the barrel to cool down. If the barrel is to hot too touch, it has reached or surpassed the 180 degree mark; that causes stress cracks in the bore.
I've never heard this before. Most AR-15 barrels are designed to withstand full-auto fire.

I've done multiple mag dumps on every AR I've ever owned and never had a problem. When I was in the Marines we usually left our M16s on semi, but there were plenty of times we did multiple mag-dumps on three-round-burst with no ill effects. And trust me, the Marine Corps doesn't tolerate abuse of equipment; if that had caused a problem the armory would have noticed. Heck, the barrel on the M249 is about the same thickness as most AR-15 barrels, and the M249 is designed for sustained full-auto fire; it doesn't even go semi-auto.

Sure, if you're constantly shooting your AR rapid-fire, you'll wear your barrel out a little faster. But I've never seen or heard anything about rapid-fire causing stress cracks in a good quality barrel.

Last edited by Theohazard; July 8, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Quentin2

I doubt that the used High Standard is worth $950. As was said earlier, you can get a good AR for that. Brand new, too.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:24 PM   #7
atlantadad

AR 15 value

$600 is a fair price. They never sold for a high dollar.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:54 PM   #8
UtopiaTexasG19

No one has asked the OP what shape, age, original brand and how used the jet ski is at this point in time. It may be a well used piece of do-do, on it's last leg, and worth less than any used AR.
Old July 8, 2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Quentin2

I kinda figured the OP set his price and we're sure not in a position to quibble over jet skis in this forum.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:24 PM   #10
toolmaan

Thanks for all the advice, he is bringing it over to my work tomorrow over lunch so I can inspect it. BTW the Jet Ski is a 89 model while it runs great I don't have much into it so this should be a good deal for me.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:54 PM   #11
shastaboat

jet ski vs AR15

Is the jet ski really worth $950.00? I'd rather have the AR.
Old July 8, 2013, 09:54 PM   #12
JR_Roosa

Quote:
Most AR-15 barrels are designed to withstand full-auto fire.
I would argue against that. I would guess most bottom tier AR barrels are just turned from lowest bidder barrel stock.

On the other hand, full auto fire tears up good barrels too. Basically heat and plasma vs. steel results in steel getting eroded.

The High Standards are pretty vanilla, and I saw them going for $850 or so at Gander Mountain (known for overpricing stuff) a few years ago.

I would pay maybe $600 for one unless it was brand new, in the box, and exactly the configuration I wanted. Then maybe I'd pay $800. If it got close to $900, then I would rather kick in a few hundred more for a new Colt 6920 with much better parts and resale value.

Quote:
Is the jet ski really worth $950.00? I'd rather have the AR.
This is key too. If you'd let the jet ski go to a friend for $650 and it's not worth keeping around to wait for a higher bidder, I'd take the rifle unless it is beat to hell. Getting rid of something big and bulky that you don't want anymore has a value that is hard to put a number on.

-J.
Old July 8, 2013, 11:36 PM   #13
Theohazard

Quote:
JR_Roosa posted
Quote:
Most AR-15 barrels are designed to withstand full-auto fire.
I would argue against that. I would guess most bottom tier AR barrels are just turned from lowest bidder barrel stock.

On the other hand, full auto fire tears up good barrels too. Basically heat and plasma vs. steel results in steel getting eroded.
OK, I'll amend that statement: Good-quality AR-15 barrels are designed to withstand full-auto fire. Any good barrel from a manufacturer like FN, BCM, Daniel Defense, etc. will not only withstand plenty of semi-auto rapid-fire mag dumps, but will withstand a surprisingly large amount of full-auto fire.

When your barrel starts to turn light grey and starts smoking, it's time to let it cool. And even then, all you're doing is shortening the overall life of the barrel; I've never seen heat like that cause stress cracks in the bore like Erno86 mentioned (I'm not saying it can't happen, I'm just saying I've never seen or heard of it happening). And if your barrel needs to cool every 6 shots, you either are being way too careful or you have a terrible barrel.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:14 AM   #14
allaroundhunter

Re: AR 15 value

Theo, I'll agree with you there, except this gun is not made by any of those manufacturers.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:33 AM   #15
Theohazard

Quote:
allaroundhunter posted
Theo, I'll agree with you there, except this gun is not made by any of those manufacturers
I've heard good things about the High Standard rifles. I'd be very surprised if they couldn't handle full-auto or rapid-fire almost as well as the brands I mentioned. But I was refuting the statements made by Erno86 about ARs in general; you're right, I'm somewhat off-topic.

I don't think it's a bad trade for the OP; but I think he should just sell the jet ski for cash and that way he can shop around for the exact AR he wants.
Old July 9, 2013, 01:49 AM   #16
Smit

I would sell the jet ski and buy a new AR.

Side Note: I also have never heard this 180 degree mark Erno was talking about. 6 consecutive rounds before a cool-off!? Boy I am in trouble then
Old July 9, 2013, 02:13 AM   #17
5.56RifleGuy

nevermind

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; July 9, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
Old July 9, 2013, 01:58 PM   #18
toolmaan

Well I got it, turns out my boss knows a little about these so he tore it down and we had a good look at it, in my bosses opinion it is worth around $700, The jet ski was a 1989 model and fairly rough so I think I got a good deal, I would of taken less than $700 for the ski. Now gotta find some ammo since I don't have any of that caliber and take it out this weekend. Thanks
Old July 9, 2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Gbnk82

If he throws in about 1000to rounds of ammo it may be a good deal but as others have said id sell it and get yourself a good quality new one with some ammo and maybe a cheap red dot with that 950
Old July 11, 2013, 11:00 PM   #20
Scubasimmons

180F? That is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard. Basically that means don't leave your gun in the sun. The structure of steel doesn't change until much higher temps and stress cracks should only form if it is cooled unevenly from a high temp and 180F is NOT a high temp for steel. Sorry don't know much about the brand.