The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #1
vector91

Hight Point Arms

So just to see peoples opinions I started this thread on high point arms. I have shot the .45 had no complaints about the performance however it is ugly as sin but for the price and reliablity I can't honestly say it's a bad gun. What are your thoughts.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 14, 2013, 11:55 AM   #2
tjhands

There are less reliable guns that sell for more money than the Hi-Point. It fills a niche.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
vector91

I can definately agree with that the day I shot one we put about I'd say 400 rounds through it and the man who owned it had already owned it for a few years and had never had an issue.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old February 14, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
AssaultTortoise

they have been discussed before

I bought a high point 45acp on sale and shot maybe 200rds through it before I sold it. It never gave me any trouble. I had a ruger P90 that's greatly better in all departments but was 2x the cost. If you dig around the internet and you-tube you will see high-points discussed ad nauseam. At the end of the day just like purchasing any another tool you buy the best you can afford so long as it meets the minimum requirements to get the job done. Though I would love to have a case full of MAC tools I cannot fault my $30 set of Stanley sockets simply because they are cheaper and less well made especially after turning hundreds of rusted bolts without failing.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
tahunua001

several users in the last couple years or so have been trying to shed a little light on these horribly misjudged firearms. hickock45 on youtube has really put his hipoint45 though the ringer and it's still kicking. a friend of mine in the navy bought a 9mm for the sole purpose of destroying it and seeing what the company would do about it. he put it though several renditions of the 1,000 round glock test, ran over it with his truck, threw it off cliffs, and a lot of over whacked out stuff that I don't have the time to list... as can be expected it didn't make it through all of his 'stress tests' but with no questions asked they took it back and either repaired or replaced it and always sent it back with spare magazines, hes got a full shoebox full of them to prove it at this point and he still has a hipoint that functions perfectly under normal conditions.

my experience with hipoints isn't all that extensive. I've only been through about a half a box through a 40 handgun that belongs to my best friend and a couple boxes through my brother in laws 9mm carbine. both went bang every time and the 9mm has hit just about everything I aimed at but that's about it for their saving graces. I had a horrible time hitting anything with the 40 and the magazine release seems better suited to one of the first generation semi autos. the operation isn't exactly user friendly with a generally complicated take down. both the carbine and the pistol don't have the best balance and my body doesn't agree with the ergonomics at all.

however with all that I have listed I would still recommend them for the most heavily restricted budgets, though they seem to be trending past $200 in my area. for me so a ruger P series or Arcus 98 are starting to sound much more appealing at this current juncture.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Microgunner

They're not for me.
Old February 14, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
hdbiker

High Point

I 'v never owned one but see them at the range once in a while.They are ugly but when ya pull the trigger,they go BANG !!!!!!hdbiker
Old February 14, 2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

I bought a C9 Hi-Point a while back just to see if it could possibly be as bad as the detractors say. I found that they are completely wrong when it comes to reliability, accuracy, and durability. They may be right about the looks, but it isn't nearly as ugly as an $800 Chiappa Rhino that many rave about.
Google "Hi-Point torture test" and watch all four or five videos from iraqveteran8888. You will be impressed with their durability, and strength.
Also search this forum for some of the amazing accuracy videos with Hi-Point pistols done by Wildbill45.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 14, 2013, 01:12 PM   #9
lapetrarca53

Owned a Hi Point 9mm and put about 500 rounds through it without ANY problems before trading it for an S&W SD 9VE.

Big, ugly, accurate, reliable and, at under $200 NIB out the door, worth every penny.

If you search the net, you'll finds LOTS of naysayers.

Press them further about their experience and you'll most likely find that they don't have any. Just third and fourth hand stories passed on by a guy who has a cousin, that knows another guy with a friend that has a brother that saw this guy at the range with a Hi Point and..........

Would I buy another? If it's all that was in the budget and the price was right, sure would!
Old February 14, 2013, 01:42 PM   #10
vector91

I'm gonna have to agree alot of the bashing i have seen against them is merely because they are ugly but ugliness has nothing to do with performance, as far as that field goes besides the slide being slightly difficult to pull back I have no complaints.
- George Washington
Old February 14, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Then there is also the misguided belief that Hi-Points are big!
Here is my C9 beng nearly completely covered by my S/A XD40 Sub Compact.

And of course, the accuracy issue shown by these 5 off hand rounds @ 10 yards.

Old February 14, 2013, 04:54 PM   #12
bonefamily

C9

My wife's first pistol was a C9. The only reason she got rid of it was because she couldn't muscle racking the slide. I too found it to be a stubborn one to charge. She traded it back in before shooting so she wasn't able to know how it fired. I'm thinking it was just the one we had as I have seen others comment on how easy theirs were to rack. I still want to get one of their 9's or even a .380 one day.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:57 PM   #13
dayman

I think
Quote:
it is ugly as sin but for the price and reliablity I can't honestly say it's a bad gun
sums it up pretty well for me.
I haven't owned one, and I probably won't, but - unlike the majority of guns in that price range - they seem to go bang when they need to, and put your rounds where you want them.
If I had a need for a gun and only a couple hundred to spend I wouldnt hesitate to own one.
Old February 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #14
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am always amused by the folks who say that they have never owned one, never fired one, never even seen one, but they are no good junk. Weird!

Jim
Old February 14, 2013, 06:16 PM   #15
lapetrarca53

There's a certain gun forum where you're pretty much ridiculed if you own a Hi Point. There are only a few anointed firearms they consider "acceptable" and Hi Point ain't one of 'em!
Old February 14, 2013, 06:18 PM   #16
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca53
There's a certain gun forum where you're pretty much ridiculed if you own a Hi Point. There are only a few anointed firearms they consider "acceptable" and Hi Point ain't one of 'em!
Sounds like my kind of snobs.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:21 PM   #17
9mm

I saw a used one for $99.99 at the shop, I should have bought it, but in 45 caliber, with 5 boxes of ammo it pay for itself....... I like a gun for the bathroom one day, maybe a used hi point will do. :P

Quote:
Just third and fourth hand stories passed on by a guy who has a cousin, that knows another guy with a friend that has a brother that saw this guy at the range with a Hi Point and..........
LOL!!!!

It's too bad non of hi-points parts/magazines don't work for other guns.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:32 PM   #18
ttarp

The two I've come in contact with functioned well, with no issues. I don't understand the need for another one of these threads though, discussion I guess.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:37 PM   #19
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttarp
The two I've come in contact with functioned well, with no issues. I don't understand the need for another one of these threads though, discussion I guess.
I think it's more like boredom.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Used to be pretty much here to. I guess either tolorance, or frustration has slowed it down lately.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:52 PM   #21
buckeyedave

I have a C9 9mm in my mix of guns and it's very reliable. I haven't had one issue with it. The warranty is second to none and it goes with the gun regardless how many owners of it.

A good value at the price.
Ruger SR22P
Old February 14, 2013, 08:20 PM   #22
m&p45acp10+1

The triggers seem a bit stiff on the ones that I have shot. Though my Kel Tec P11 has the same issue. My Polish P-64 has a heavy first pull when in DA as well. They work just fine, and a friend of mine gave up on trying to wear one out. It is still going after GOK how many rounds have been put through it.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:50 PM   #23
TxFlyFish

i secretly lust for a OD JHP With the laser dongle
Old February 14, 2013, 09:27 PM   #24
ttarp

Quote:
i secretly lust for a OD JHP With the laser dongle
That just sounds wrong...
Old February 15, 2013, 05:51 PM   #25
ET.

I've had a Hi-Point C-9 for about 15 years now. My brother owed me $50 and offered his C-9 for payment. I took it. It is an older one where the mags don't have the feeding lips that everyone has to adjust to the .001" to stop FTF's. My C-9 started out liking Winchester White Box ammo, but changed over to liking nothing but Federal fmj from Walmart @ $19.99 (before the madness). Not a single ftf with it, but anything else seems to cause problems. Like my cat, it knows what it wants to eat and will settle for nothing less. It's maddening sometimes when I can't get the Federal and have to force feed it something else...the gun, not the cat.

Tags
gun , hand gun , high point , semi-auto hand guns , ugly guns