The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 23, 2011, 09:02 PM   #1
TX Hunter

MY Wife bought Me an 03A3

I am so excited, my wife bought me my dream rifle. its a Remington 1903 A3 RIFLE. It is in very good shape with a mirror sharp bore. I never thought i would own one i will post some pictures when i can. We were on vacation and stopped at Cabelas, i was in the firearms library admiring this rifle, and she bought it for me, what a woman!!!
Old July 23, 2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

Congratulations X2. On your new prized rifle and...
You have an amazing wife...keep her!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 23, 2011, 10:18 PM   #3
TX Hunter

Thanks Cheapshooter

To me this is the Holy Grail of C and R Firearms. My Wife of 18 years the one and only love of my life knew how badly i have wanted one of these and hooked me up.
Old July 24, 2011, 09:41 AM   #4
TX Hunter

I would like to add a correct bayonet, and cleaning kit. Does anyone know a good place to find them? It came with the correct sling in good condition but very dry. I will rub it down with neatsfoot oil to protect it. At the end of the barrel it has a flaming bomb and 4-43 so i am thinking April 1943 was when it was made. That was during World War 2. Who used 03 Springfields at that time? Im thinking Navy but i may be wrong.
Old July 24, 2011, 10:34 AM   #5
Chris_B

"Correct bayonet" is subjective

I collect some US militaria and there's a big push in some circles to have "numbers matching" or "same year" stuff. That's all well and good if you also understand that for instance, with your 03A3 there was no rule that said "the following bayonets are to be issued to Model of 1903A3 rifles only"

An M1 bayonet, an M1905E1, or a Model of 1905 are all correct in my opinion. if you're looking for a WWII issue bayonet, then obviously anything 1945 or earlier would be the thing You may wish to have anything '43 or earlier but I can also say with surety that in 1944, if a GI with your 03A3 needed another bayo, they wouldn't hunt up a '43 or earlier example for him

Nickel played oilers used to be around, the Collector Source was a great place:

http://www.thecollectorsource.com/page/1219295

But I note that they are now out of many items and do not expect more. I should have bough an 03A3 C stock and some nickle oilers when I had the chance and now I regret it

Try gunbroker (you need to know what you're looking at and for of course) and try http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/foru...ex.php?act=idx

Of course, to buy and sell you need to be a member, and they aren't really a clearing house or store- they are enthusiasts, like you and I

bear in mind that neatsfoot oil can (not must) damage the thread in the sling

Does the sling have brass hardware or steel?
Old July 24, 2011, 10:56 AM   #6
TX Hunter

Thanks Chris

The sling has brass hardware. I didnt know an M1 bayonet would fit. This rifle has a streight grip stock. Is that common?
Old July 24, 2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Chris_B

Yes, the straight stock is common. On a shooter you may prefer a C stock. Are there any cartouches on your stock? There are also 'scant' stocks which were an attempt to make C type stocks out of straight stock blanks

The brass hardware is pre-WWII

This is a good (if slightly haphazardly arranged) link for info on these bayonets

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm

The M1 bayonet is a deceptive name. It isn't designed "for" the M1 rifle specifically. It's just a name, like M1 helmet. The M1 rifle was simply designed to take the same type of knife bayonet that the 03 could take. The stacking swivels on the 03A3 and M1 are at nearly the same height, too- they can be stacked together

The Model of 1905 on the M1 pictured fits the same for the 03A3 to it's left

Old July 24, 2011, 07:03 PM   #8
TX Hunter

Chris

There are some markings on the stock. Some are faint but legible. Above the trigger is a square with a JA in the middle, and under the stock is a P with a circle around it.and what looks like a 6a in a spuare and a small hexagon next to it. The stock is very nice but looks like it may have been sanded at some time im the past.