The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
jkpq45

Modern Double Hammer Shotgun?

Looking for a modern double (external) hammer shotgun. Doesn't have to be new, but would be nice (I think my only option is the CZ?)

Any chance I can stay sub-$700?

Any advice is appreciated.
-jkpq45
Old December 2, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2
SDC

Baikal sells the IZh-43, which is an external-hammered gun, but the external hammers actually cock internal strikers.
Old December 2, 2013, 10:59 AM   #3
jkpq45

Interesting option, SDC. Thanks for the post.

Been looking into the Zhang Zhou/Century Arms SW-2000 as well. Sounds like they can either be workable or trash.

10 ga options would be nice as well.
Old December 2, 2013, 12:25 PM   #4
clang

I recommend you look for a used V. Bernardelli hammer gun. You will most likely pay more than what you are looking to spend, but the V. Bernardelli's are some of the best reasonably priced modern hammer guns that you will actually be happy owning.
Old December 2, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
ZVP

Tayloes Arms Co has a line of authentic hammer guns.
Look em up on the net,
HTH
BPDave
Old December 2, 2013, 09:27 PM   #6
SDC

Sorry, I should have specified "IZh-43K"; the "K" stands for "kurkovoe", or "hammers".
Old December 2, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
Crunchy Frog

Cimarron sells the TTN reproduction of the 1878 Colt shotgun. In the plain blue finish it is within your budget: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/sho...d-shotgun.html

The CZ is a Turkish gun made by Huglu. It's a nice looking gun but it's more expensive than the TTN. Also the TTN is more popular with cowboy action shooters.

A couple of the importers handle guns imported from Italy but they are significantly more expensive.

A friend of mine has a TTN with the "USA Finish" (casehardened receiver) and it is a very nice looking shotgun. It's been slicked up a little bit and it runs great.

I like the Baikal hammerless coach gun but don't care for their "hammer gun".

Of course, what the heck to I know? My cowboy shotguns are a Winchester 1897 and an SKB (hammerless) double.

The hammer shotguns are really neat, though.
Old December 3, 2013, 05:16 PM   #8
Nickel Plated

Yeah i hear the Cimarron is a nice shotgun. The problem with cheap doubles usually is they may look nice. They may work, the real question is how long they will work.

The whole hinged receiver on a double barreled shotgun is a pretty weak design. A large part of the cost of higher end doubles is the engineering and manufacturing required to make that design be able to withstand tens of thousands of rounds. Most of the cheap ones work fine at first, but you'll hear plenty of stories of them breaking, wearing out and just shooting themselves apart after a some heavy use.

From what i hear the Cimarron is an exception. That's definitely my choice when I get around to adding a SxS to my collection. They also have some hammerless models for right around the same price. Plus a nice 1897 Winchester replica for a good price.

Sounds like a nice company to look into.

I definitely prefer hammers and double triggers on my doubles though. Something about those rabbit ears just looks right. Also nice if you plan to keep it loaded for extended periods, you can just ease the hammers down and not keep the springs under tension, plus instant selection of what barrel to shoot without screwing with any switches.
i hear that if you're buying a cheap SxS, you're better off with an external hammer, double trigger gun. Simpler design with less stuff to screw up on you compared to a hammerless selective trigger.
Old December 3, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Tejicano

I do have the Cimarron 1878 and it is a nice gun. I don't have any range time with it yet and cannot say it will or won't last 10k+ rounds but it does lock up solid and I am not disappointed with it in any way.