The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2013, 05:05 PM   #1
trapper300RUM

Lee Pro 1000 Progressive Press

Have any of you guys used any other brands of primers besides the ones LEE recommends I have found a site that i can order TULA Primers @ more normal prices & i know that LEE says not use use Federal Primers but what about TULA Primers . HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 5, 2013, 05:16 PM   #2
BDS-THR

Tula LP primer cups are slightly larger than Winchester/CCI cups and require more effort to seat them. Tula SP/LP primers are more troublesome to seat in the Pro 1000 and with some once-fired or tighter primer pocket cases like S&B/RWS, Tula primers won't seat fully and flatten above the case base.

For me, Winchester/CCI primers have worked well with Pro 1000 primer feed attachments and Magtech primers have fed the best.

In the current component shortage, I would obtain whatever primers I can get at the lowest prices. It's much cheaper to uniform the primer pockets.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Jimro

I've used Wolf primers in a Lee Pro 1000. No real issues other than it takes a firm primer seat. I'd be willing to try Tula.

Jimro
Old April 5, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Vance

No problems with Tula here either.
Old April 6, 2013, 08:12 PM   #5
McClintock

Used thousands of Federals in a Lee Pro 1000

I've ran many thousands of Federal small pistol primers through a Lee Pro 1000 with no issues (Well, okay, I'll be honest, I've had the occasional sideways primer pushed into a case, but no detonations). I've since replaced the Pro 1000 with a Dillon 550b, but the guy I sold the Pro to is still using it, and I know for a fact that he runs Federals through it.

I think as long as you don't get too rough with it when seating primers, you're okay with Federals, which have softer cups than other brands. I wouldn't hesitate to run Tula primers through the 1000.

Cheers!
McClintock
Old April 9, 2013, 10:16 PM   #6
trapper300RUM

Lee Pro 1000

Hey thanks fellas for the info I am going to order a case of the Tula Small Pistol Primers in the next month or so