The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 18, 2015, 03:50 PM   #1
JLK

Sig 938 ?

Is the Recoil on the 938 manageable for say a woman of average size and average experience shooting hand guns being such a small gun.
And do you carry it with one in the chamber or wait and slide
a round in when you draw it?
Thanks
Old September 18, 2015, 04:04 PM   #2
dontcatchmany

Cocked and locked and ready to go!

My wife had no problem shooting mine, but did say it was heavy until I pointed out that the Ruger sp101 revolver that she really likes was heavier and had two less rounds in it.... the 938 had 7 round magazine + 1 in the chamber.

It did take me a couple of times carrying the 938 to feel comfortable with the safety not moving to fire on a single action when naked in my pocket, but the Sig P938 is now always with me (pocket holster or owb) and it does shoot well. I initially had problems shooting low and to the right (I am left handed) until I got the extended mags with 7 rounds.
Old September 18, 2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Ibmikey

Cocked and locked, i find the P 938 (9mm) to be very mild in recoil and the 238 (380) even less so.
Old September 18, 2015, 07:40 PM   #4
buckhorn_cortez

Quote:
Is the Recoil on the 938 manageable for say a woman of average size and average experience shooting hand guns being such a small gun.
Yes, especially with the Hogue rubber grips.

In addition to the P938, I have a Glock 43 and a Springfield EMP 9mm. Of the three, the P938 with the Hogue rubber grips has the least felt recoil. However, I always use the 7-round magazine as the extension on the bottom of the magazine makes the gun far easier to grip, and that makes recoil easier to manage.

Quote:
And do you carry it with one in the chamber or wait and slide
a round in when you draw it?
Thanks
I carry mine with one in the chamber. In addition to the manual safety, there is a firing pin block / interlock between the trigger and the firing pin.

The ejector is hook shaped and it pushes up on the firing pin block. When you pull the trigger about 1/2 way through its travel, the ejector is pulled down and that allows the spring loaded firing pin block to move down and out of the way, which in turn, allows the firing pin to travel forward when hit by the hammer.

If the trigger is not pulled to the firing pin block disengagement point, the firing pin cannot move.

Last edited by buckhorn_cortez; September 18, 2015 at 07:48 PM.
Old September 18, 2015, 09:59 PM   #5
Ibmikey

Buckhorn is correct the G10 grips and the extended magazine go a great deal to taming the recoil of the P938, my pistol came with them standard however, that is not the case with all models. The mag ext adds little when concealing but makes a great difference when firing.
Old September 19, 2015, 04:57 PM   #6
TailGator

I haven't shot a P938, but we have a P238 (my wife's regular carry pistol) and it is the softest shooting of the pocket .380 pistols that I have shot. My bet would be that, not being a novice, you will like the P938 with a similar design. The metal frame gives them just a little more mass for absorbing recoil, and the grip nestles down in the hand in the right way that makes a pistol shoot easy.

My wife carries hers cocked and locked. The safety clicks off and on very decisively, and with a holster that covers both the safety and the trigger we have no worries about unintended discharges.
Old September 20, 2015, 05:27 PM   #7
MFitz

I went to an event at the range today sponsored by SiG and a LGS where we could try out a wide range of SiG products. One of those was the 938 which I fired for the first time.

I am a decidedly amateur shooter, have only really been shooting at all just this past year. Almost zero experience prior. My first shot with the 938 was a dead-on bullseye at 15 yds. My second shot touched the first hole. My third shot went through the first. The next few were all within an inch.

I don't shoot like that. Ever.

Recoil?

Never noticed - and I have tiny girl hands and a lanky 5'10" 160lb frame.

I want one.
Old September 21, 2015, 10:57 PM   #8
Slimjim9

MFitz - wow, you can't afford *not* to buy that gun.
Old September 21, 2015, 11:40 PM   #9
mellow_c

I have one thing to say.

If you enjoy shooting a full sized 1911 chambered in 45 acp, then you'll most likely enjoy shooting the Sig P938.

It's similar to a person who enjoys shooting a full sized Glock, but then also enjoys shooting one of the "Baby" Glocks.

I know someone with a P938, she says she loves it, but I can see it's hard for her to shoot well. But she has a problem shooting well in general. I don't think she shoots (anything) enough to really relax and put the time and focus into regularly making good shots. Because of this, her difficulty with the P938 might be a little more exaggerated due to inexperience and things she uses as an excuse such as, "Well, I can only get two fingers on the grip." or "I haven't shot this one for a while."

lol... anyway. She does well enough with it, and it's actually one of her favorites, especially with the extended grip magazine.

I've felt like in my experience with it, it is a very accurate gun and easy to shoot well for being so small. And depending on the grip combination from the factory it will have either a LOT of traction or at least enough so it stays put in your hands, despite it having so much "pep" from being a smaller 9mm.
I actually really like them, and feel like it's a really great concealed carry gun.

Again... my main point, is that if you are confident and happy shooting a full sized 45 acp 1911, then you will probably do just as well with the little P938.

Good luck! :-)

Whoops!~ Almost forgot to mention. Cocked and Locked~!

Last edited by mellow_c; September 21, 2015 at 11:51 PM.