The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2009, 07:31 AM   #1
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

Reading the instructions

G'day. Just interested in how often you read reloading manuals? I don't mean for load data.
Do you highlight or underline things in your book?
I often see that people new to reloading are told to read the books a couple of times before they start. So how often should you go back over the information?
Is there anybody that has not read a reloading book for at least five years? Or do you only look up specific information?
Old May 14, 2009, 07:36 AM   #2
Dragon55

I actually have read everything in my Hodgdon manual except all the load data that pertains to calibers/gages I don't own.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:41 AM   #3
madmo44mag

Read, underline, make notes, ect...

Every manual out there is written / edited by a different person and will always have a little different info within.
When I come across something that does not jive with my way or not in sink with another manual, I note it and come back and see whats up.
You never know when you may lean something new. Also review of know facts keeps them fresh in your mind.
Old May 14, 2009, 08:26 AM   #4
dmazur

I've re-read the "how-to" section of the Speer manual several times. Not for specfic instructions, but for general understanding.

When I resumed reloading after a lapse of several years, I read mostly about reloading pistol cartridges because that's what I was doing at the time. More recently, I've started reloading bottleneck cartridges and I'm reading again...

I don't think I'm compulsive (but some may think so...), but I keep owner's manuals for everything and read them once in a while. Sometimes I stumble over something I missed the first time. Like a cartoon lightbulb going on.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Slamfire

Now that I know it all, (lol) I only read the loading data.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:15 AM   #6
2DaMtns

I have had the Speer and Lyman manuals the longest, and I think I have read the basics in the Lyman twice and three or four times in the Speer. I just bought the Sierra manual last week and read through the basics last night. I don't think you can ever read it too much, especially when you're new to it.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Storm52

Read, underline, make notes, ect...
Every manual out there is written / edited by a different person and will always have a little different info within.
When I come across something that does not jive with my way or not in sink with another manual, I note it and come back and see whats up.
You never know when you may lean something new. Also review of know facts keeps them fresh in your mind.

Agreed. My Speer and Lyman manuals are all dog-eared.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:24 PM   #8
Mike Irwin
Staff

I use colored page flags (or tabs), the kind that you can write on.

I use Red for rifle reloading information, yellow for handgun, and other colors for general information I might want to refer back to.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 14, 2009, 12:33 PM   #9
TheNatureBoy

Often, to include highlighting and underlining.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:15 PM   #10
Qtiphky

Twice

I read the Sierra Manual 5th edition twice. I read everything cover to cover, some of it I didn't understand and will eventually re-read and try and understand that stuff, but read it anyway. I really liked reading the history and development of each caliber listed.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:21 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Before Loaddata.com came around, I bought Nosler, Speer, Barnes, Hornady, and Speer when they came out.
Old May 14, 2009, 02:40 PM   #12
dipper

I have maybe a dozen manuals by different companies.
I refer to many sections of the manuals often.
A couple of my manuals have very detailed and comprehensive explanation of "advanced methods" .....casting your own bullets, lead hardness and different alloys, benchrest techniques, and many other interesting things.
I have another new manual coming in the mail now, and I'll read it cover to cover when it gets here.