The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 26, 2006, 01:04 AM   #1
nathang

What do I have???

Bare with me, I'm an idiot. Acquired a 30.06 rifle, don't know what it is. Seller didn't know either, (widow of previous owner). It somewhat resembles the Enfield M1917 or P14 but doesn't have the open sights, it has scope mounts, but the bolt, thumb safety, bolt release are all identical. Number 1059695 stamped under the right side of the front scope mount, number 9-18 stamped on top at the end of the barrel, and E A stamped on the left outside of the chamber area, and an upside down and backwards E stamped on the bolt release lever. Any point in the right direction would be great, thanks in advance.
Old March 26, 2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

Sounds like you have a sporterized US M1917 rifle.

Many of these have been turned into sporters by removing the rear sight, and grinding off the protective "ears" that surrounded the sight.

The keys are the markings you can see:
1059695 stamped on the right side of the receiver ring is the serial number, and will have "US Rifle Model 1917" and the makers name stamped just above the serial number, under the scope mount.

In this case it'll almost certainly be Remington-Eddystone as indicated by the "E" and "EA" stamps.

The barrel was made in 9-1918, and this is likely the original barrel.

During WWI the 1917 was made by Winchester, Remington, and a Remington owned company, Eddystone.
Old March 26, 2006, 12:40 PM   #3
nathang

Thanks so much. I really appreciate your info, I've really been hoping to be able to identify this rifle without any disassembly.