The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 16, 2005, 09:14 AM   #76
Ian2005

Yeah....

VaughnT..

Are we talking hurricane or mobs, pick one and I'll have a discussion about it since both are completely different-just in case thats not OBVOIUSLY clear. There's a slight difference in packin' a generator vrs. packing a .44.

Try not to troll please.

I stayed in town for the Hurricane (Houston); and yes, if a big mob was coming up my street i would leave. There's nothing in my house worth my or my wife's life. Sure I guess you could sit on your porch and kill some people, but I'd rather leave it up to the proper authorities. Your house is insured, your life and safety are not.
Old November 16, 2005, 11:02 AM   #77
GUNSMOKE45441

Easy pickings when you run away, that's what they were counting on.
Are they going to continue when the first rounds hit them? I think not!!
Old November 16, 2005, 01:20 PM   #78
Ian2005

Omg

Yup that's right, I said "Flee like a chicken". wear flame orange and run down the middle of the street flailing your hands.

Also be dropping lots of jewelry and showing money. Oh wait.. that was hurricane Rita.

:barf:
Old November 18, 2005, 01:06 AM   #79
XDoctor

There are seven apartments in the building i live in. One is mine, five of the others are occupied by my shooting buddies. The caravan of our friends coming to safe ground would be funny as hell. There would be many 'I told you so's' that day.
Old November 19, 2005, 01:57 PM   #80
springmom

pick a thread, any thread!

HOLD IT.

Are we discussing a hurricane or a football mob? For the love of Pete, guys; there is a HUGE difference. What the heck are you going to do with a hurricane...sit there and shoot at the F4 tornados the thing spawns? Try buckshot on a 20-foot storm surge? Get a grip.

Yes, you should have food, water, medicine, propane, etc., including ammunition, set away for a natural disaster. I am still working on building that up, because it is an expensive thing to do. We are in much better shape on that than we were this time six months ago, thanks to what I learned from Rita, and will continue to get more prepared. Before next year's hurricane season we will buy a generator, I hope. Whether you stay or go depends FIRST AND FOREMOST on whether you are in a storm surge area or flood plain. IF YOU ARE, THEN GET OUT. Ignore the bravado that says "stay". The storm surge doesn't give a crap how well armed you are; it will DROWN YOU. (gets off soap box).

But mob violence? We are meant to defend ourselves. Of course we are. My house might or might not be the most defensible position. The issue is not my "stuff". The issue is my safety and that of my family. If my house is not as defensible as somewhere else, then I'll go somewhere else if I can. I am not going to be thinking I can hole up in a wood-frame house against a mob though, guys....that fire thing works on more houses than just the little old lady's down the street. (Wait! Most of my neighbors think of ME as the 'little old lady'!!! ) Survival, not stuff, is the key.

At any rate, y'all please pick a topic and stick to it, or start a different thread and separate the two or something....

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old November 19, 2005, 08:33 PM   #81
Eghad

I live in a small town in SE Texas....

If they were trying to burn stuff up (arson) which can be defended against by deadly force. Im a bettin the mourge might be busy for a while. Bubba dont appreciate folks trying to burn his stuff up and hurt him.

If I was in charge in France and there were immigrants that had destroyed and burned stuff.... They would be given a bag with a couple of ham sammiches and a plane ride to wherever they came from

win-win situation

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Eghad; November 19, 2005 at 09:23 PM.
Old November 19, 2005, 10:50 PM   #82
BigFunWMU

No plane, no sammiches.....

walk em to the shoreline and set em swimmin...

But at my house, in an urban area, come closer than the sidewalk with intent to come farther, and you get a warning. Verbal first, then its the shotgun racking, followed by a loud bang noise. Possibly more than one. I have enough firearms for all of my roommates that I would trust with one, I just need a little more ammo and mags.

MY life, MY house, MY stuff. Don't bring a *nothing* to a gun fight!
Old November 20, 2005, 12:18 AM   #83
coolridelude

me and my family would go to my uncle's house, it is in a better location. now if people started to come in to loot, then they better be prepared to take a bullet because i will not hesitate to give it to them.

i have shot a people before when i was younger not to hurt them but to give them a message, when they come into my property they will fear for their lives. i have shot at people's cars when they entered my aunts house in Michigan. they were skinheads, after that they never even pasted by that street again.
Old November 20, 2005, 01:25 AM   #84
therealsteamer

Maybe not to much an issue here....??

Well, First of all we live in rural NE Ohio. Smallish farming town with a population of about 4-5 thousand. The nearest town with any "sizeable population that could be even remotely organized into a threat" is 25 miles away. I highly doubt that in this type of situation the "rioters" would be able to organize a convoy of vehicles and head this way, much less come in on foot.

If it something does manage to head this way, it is not beyond the realm of reality for this small community to band together in cooperation with local L.E. and secure the 7 main roads in and out. Other than that they would have to cross very large areas of cropland. Not a smart thing around here with all the "good 'ol boys". (and gals)

Should the situation become less than desireable for the family and myself we would load up all the goods and head for the in-laws. This is about 8 miles away surrounded by LOTS of open farmland. Supplies are not an issue as they and we already keep lots of gear on hand for the very real possibility of a monster blizzard. With our gear and their local neighbors we could sit tight for a month easily and defend the AO with no problem.......

Steamer
Old November 20, 2005, 05:20 PM   #85
scottmphoto

Lock Down.

I bought an old family home. It was built @ 1916 out of rock. The walls are a foot thick or more in most places. It's bullet proof for most things that the crooks would be carrying. I'm also about to build a "storm cellar", it's going to be an underground concrete job with a steel door with a six-point lock if I can help it. We do get tornados here in this part of Arkansas.
Old November 21, 2005, 12:52 PM   #86
BlueTrain

Here is something to think about concerning the troubles in France. As I understand it, most of the troublemakers, if that is not an incorrect term, are from North Africa. Now take yourself back some 40 to 45 years when Algeria was still a French colony. There was something you might call a colonial war going on. Eventually the French gave up for one reason or another and went home, leaving behind lots of French settlers.

Anyone know what ever happen to those who were left behind? Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls. There was a lot of unhappiness in France with the way things turned out and some French army units had a minor rebellion themselves only to be disbanded after it was all over. Unrest in the form of the "secret army organization" for a few years but by then it was too late.

This has nothing at all to do with what you might do when the mob comes down your street but I wonder why none of the above has ever been mentioned in the news? Roland, where are you when we need you?
Buy War Bonds.