The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 14, 2013, 02:37 PM   #1
ezmiraldo

Opinions on XS Big/standard dot sights

Hi all!

I'm considering putting these on my sig p226:

http://www.amazon.com/Xs-Big-Dot-Sig...=xs+sights+sig

These seem to be awesome sights for very fast, close-range sight acquisition, both-eyes-open shooting, and shooting in the dusk (not dark) due to large front sight dot. Not sure I'd like them for the past-25-yard shooting (but that sort of shooting would be extremely rare in SD/HD scenarios, so it's not a huge concern to me).

Any thoughts on this sight system? Are they as useful as they appear? Are they well made? Anybody has them on their SD/HD pistols?
Old November 14, 2013, 07:28 PM   #2
dayman

I have the standard dot on my SP101 - since there was no rear sight to begin with, there was no discernible downside, and it's a very fast system.
Faster than 3 dot? I don't know, but definitely faster for me than the steel blade that came on the sp101.

As far as quality goes, I'd put XS up with trijicon, meprolight, or any of the other reputable manufactures.

Last edited by dayman; November 14, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old November 15, 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
Derbel McDillet

I've been using XS Big Dot tritium sights since 2001.

I've had zero problems with accuracy.

They are very fast to visually acquire.

They are very fast to determine acceptable alignment to place the shot.

It took me a couple hundred rounds or so to become proficient with them. I have no problem placing my shots with accuracy.

I prefer them over conventional pistol sights.

(I even have them on my Remington 870.)

Tips or techniques? Just follow sight alignment/sight picture instructions from XS and you'll be good to go. (This was my biggest error when I first tried XS Sights - I wasn't sure I liked them at first because I sucked when I first used them. When I realized that I didn't KNOW how to use them I went home, REALLY looked at the instructions, and when I actually followed the instructions the next time at the range I got excellent results.)

I don't like three-dot sights as I believe they're visually "too busy".
Old November 15, 2013, 09:09 AM   #4
ezmiraldo

How strong are the little screws that tighten up the back sight? I've never seen any similar back sights being held in place by such tiny screws...
Old November 15, 2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Derbel McDillet

I've never had a problem with the rear sight since I installed them (and this includes shooting and snagging the rear sight on objects to retract the slide for clearing stoppages).

XS provides a small vial of LocTite, which if you apply it according to the instructions, keeps everything solid.

The rear sight screws are "jacking screws" which secure the rear sight into the dovetail.
Old November 15, 2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

I recently had a set put on an H&K P7M8, and I've since had a chance to put the set up through some drills. They seem to work quite well for me. In fact, I'm planning to put a set on a Glock 19.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 17, 2013, 08:23 PM   #7
WaltherRuger

I happen to really like XS sights. I have Big Dots on my Walther P99 full size and my Beretta PX4 full size .45. I have Standard Dots on my Ruger LCR .38 special. They don't make Big Dots for the LCR.

I am actually more accurate with XS sights than I am with standard 3 dot sights. At an advanced handgun training class, the instructor complimented me on my accuracy.

They have different installation methods based on the gun. They have been on my P99 for 15 months, the PX4 for 8 months, and I just installed them on the LCR. Installation was easy. Removal of sights on the PX4 was really really hard. Do a quick search online for changing sights on the 226 just in case.
Old November 18, 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
ezmiraldo

My main concern right now is that these sights require different sight pictures depending on the distance: Placing front dot on the target for shots under 25 yards, and placing top edge of the dot on the target for shots over 25 yards. I guess these sights were designed this way so the big front dot does not completely cover the target during long-distance shooting, which would make precise target acquisition extremely challenging.

But, does this violate the KISS principle (which might be especially damaging in high-stress situations)? Does this introduce problematic inconsistencies in terms of training to acquire proper sight picture?
Old November 18, 2013, 03:30 PM   #9
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmiraldo
My main concern right now is that these sights require different sight pictures depending on the distance...
In general sight picture changes with distance with any sight. The sights on any gun are "dead on" only at two points along the entire path of the bullet. If the sights are reasonably regulated, anywhere else along the path of the bullet within the distance range you're most interested in the point of aim and point of impact will be close enough so the difference won't really matter for your intended use. Beyond that distance spread you will need to adjust your sight picture to get the point of impact where you want it.

The big dot is intended to provide quick sight acquisition for shooting at close distances -- in any case closer than 25 yards. When taking a shot with a handgun at 25 yards or more speed should be less of an issue.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 18, 2013, 03:55 PM   #10
ezmiraldo

This makes good sense, Frank. Thanks for your thoughts.