The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2012, 08:00 PM   #1
RH

Need advice on starter .22 semi auto

Don't own a .22 pistol. My wife wants to learn how to shoot, so I'm jumping on the chance to get her into shooting. A few years ago she tried my Ruger P95 and it was too much for her. A smaller .380 would be worse, so I'm looking to get a .22 pistol. Was trying to decide between a 22/45 and a Ruger MK III, but now looking into the other .22's with a more modern look and feel - the Ruger SR22, the Sig, Walther P22, S&W M&P22, etc.

Looking for something with easy controls and battery of arms, easy to shoot (low recoil) and easy to teach basic marksmanship (good sights), so I can teach my wife and teenage daughters.

Recommendations?
Old October 11, 2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Ricklin

Get rid of the loaded chamber indicator for the Mk. 3 and it's a fine pistol. It's a very easy fix. The loaded chamber indicator was one of Ruger's bigger mistakes.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:32 PM   #3
jfrey

Browning Buck Mark. None better for the money. Better trigger than the Rugers and it isn't a jam-o-matic like I have seen in some of the Rugers too.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:03 PM   #4
m_liebst

quote- "None better for the money. Better trigger than the Rugers and it isn't a jam-o-matic like I have seen in some of the Rugers too"

I've seen plenty more Buckmarks jam then Rugers.

I've shot Buckmarks that jammed even with par ammo as of CCI

I've seen and owned Rugers that aren't particular/ finicky about ammo as Buckmarks.

My Ruger doesn't skip a beat.

Your Buckmark out of the box has a better trigger, but nothing far above that of the Rugers.

Don't get me wrong- I actually like the style and grip contour of the buckmark. But in my experience, it has definitely been the Buckmark that is the pickier firearm.

Reliability and accuracy-wise... the Ruger is the best buy for the money.

Last edited by m_liebst; October 11, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:13 PM   #5
pilpens

If her hand is small, then SR22.
If regular pistols fit her hand, then:
1. Ruger 22/45.
2. Ruger MKIII --- If grip angle is OK.
3. Browning Buckmark.

I would stick with the 5-5.5" barrel for best balance and with adjustable sights to allow POA=POI.
Keep proper trigger reach in mind when shopping.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:14 PM   #6
ritepath

Whatever you pick out, do your research and find out if it's eats any run of the mill bulk, or if you have to feed it HV ammo.

IMHO I buy a 22 to shoot cheap ammo, I'm not willing to feed them CCI's or any other HV ammo just to get them to feed right.

My SR22 and MKII eat any junk I want to shoot.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:14 PM   #7
CDR_Glock

I have a trio of suggestions:

1) Get a conversion slide for a Semiauto if you want her to move up to that particular gun be it a Sig Sauer, Glock, 1911, or whatever. I have a dedicated Glock 23 lower with an advantage arms 22. I also have a Sig Sauer P220 with a 22 conversion.

2) get a dedicated 22 like a Ruger or Browning. The Browning is only slightly easier to care for but once you know how to field strip a Ruger, it's really not that hard. A Ruger also has dirt cheap cost for spare parts. I had a Walther P22 but the trigger is not all that great to me. The "modern" ones are quirkier with ammo. Some shoot high velocity but some only shoot standard. A Ruger 22/45 is awesome if you want her to eventually shoot a 1911. I personally chose a Mark II Target Competition with slatside 6 7/8" barrel. I had a Clarke trigger installed and I use an Ultradot Matchdot.

3) forget either and get a 22LR rifle. Those are fun to shoot, and it makes a good varmint gun. A Ruger 10/22 is a great customizable rifle and you can make it run stock or go all tactical, if you wish. I went with a Sig 522 SWAT, instead, but it was intended for my daughter to use. It has a grippod, eotech 512 and 3x magnifier.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:17 PM   #8
chris in va

I had a couple 22/45's and tried a few others. Guns like the Walther and SR22 are a LOT more fun to shoot IMO.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:31 PM   #9
bitttorrrent

I have a handful of .22's. Two MK IIs''s, and older Smith and Wesson, and a Tangfolio copy of pk series along with the 10/22 rifle and others that me and my brother grew up shooting.
All good, but if I was teaching wife and daughter, I would let them shoot my new sr22. Nice little simple gun, reliable with complete crap ammo that was floating in the bottom of my Dads range bag. Several hundred through and run great. Easy to take down (I would not dare do that with MK series with wife and daughter) and clean and show them the parts easily.
Plus it comes with different grips and even fits my large hand well for such a small gun.

My daughter is ten though and still just shooting a single shot .22. Soon maybe I will let her try a handgun but not just yet.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:42 PM   #10
RH

great replies so far, thx for the input. I was worried that the SR22 may not have the reliability of the old standby Ruger traditionals. If it is as reliable and the sights are good for basic marksmanship training, I'm leaning that way.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:50 PM   #11
motorhead0922

Quote:
Recommendations?
Don't buy a gun for her. Let her pick it out. Rent every 22 you can find and let her decide.
Old October 11, 2012, 11:18 PM   #12
spanishjames

The Bersa Thunder 22 is nice. Do a search on here for reviews.
Old October 12, 2012, 06:47 AM   #13
Hal

I prefer my Ruger .22/45 Mark II, over my Buckmarks, my S&W 22s, High Standard Sport King, Ruger Mark II "slab side", S&W m17 revolvers, and Walther P22 - oh yeah - the Kadet .22 conversion for the 75b and the Ceiner conversion for the Kimber too...

All that means is that I prefer to shoot the .22/45.

I've had issues with every .22 I own & with every brand of .22 ammunition.
Considering the number of rounds I've shot through all of them though - the issues have been insignificant.
Just slightly worse than factory ammo and slightly better than all my handloads - including the "work up" loads in centerfire...

CCI mini mags seem to be the best affordable rounds.

FWIW - my wife likes only two of the .22's list above.
The High Standard Sport King and her Buckmark Micro.

Notice I said - her - Buckmark Micro.
That's what she picked out and bought.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:25 AM   #14
Pianoguy

I have a Browning Buckmark Camper which works just fine. I just use CCi mini-mags and it's never hiccuped yet. But it's not a real exciting pistol to shoot and I'm not a fan of SA striker-fired guns. It really is just a target pistol and doesn't IMO shoot like the pistols one would use for SD. I'm in the market for either a P22 or a SR-22 myself. The Ruger seems to have more fans than the Walther but I have a Walther PK380 that's been a real nice shooter in every way (may be an option for you although 380 ammo isn't cheap for learning) so I'd probably go with the P22 myself since I'm used to it's manual of operation. No 22 is going to be as reliable as a center-fire semi-auto but with the right ammo (and CCI seems to be the one for most guns) and good cleanings they do work pretty well and are fun and very economical. The S&W M&P 22lr looks like a nice gun but it is a full-size pistol. But maybe that would be a selling point for you.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:20 AM   #15
vba

My wife, when she used to shoot with me, loved my Ruger MK4 Mark II. The gun has a 4" barrel and just balances very well in the hand. My wife said it is "cute", but she shot it very well.

I believe Ruger still makes a 4 or 4.5" inch barrel guns in 22/45 and Mark III's.
Old October 12, 2012, 09:11 AM   #16
Pilot

Look for a used Ruger MK II 5.5 in. bull barrel, Target model. As you become more proficient it can be easily modded to be a more serious match pistol, but is very accurate right out of the box.

If you can't find a MK II, get a MK III and remove the LCI, and mag disconnect. If you prefer the grip angle of a 1911, get a 22/45.
Old October 12, 2012, 05:26 PM   #17
marine6680

My Ruger SR22 is a blast to shoot, its accurate, just not target pistol accurate, and it has been reliable with several ammo types.

Rem Golden Bullets
Blazer
CCI Minimags and Velocitors
Win M22

To name a few.

The only issue was that it developed lead fouling quickly with the plain lead bullets... but that was brand new, and I need to see if a 1000rds of plated has lapped the barrel smoother and will allow lead to not lead the barrel.

It is a little smaller size, but adding the included large grip and pinky extension on the mag makes it easy to hold on to.

The S&W M&P 22 is full sized if the SR22 is too small for you, and I hear good things.

The Ruger Mark III and 22/45 are fun to shoot and very accurate. They tend to function well with most ammo. Though they are not "modern" looking.

The Walther P22... I hear way to much bad about that pistol... things like it is a big project to get it working reliably.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:40 PM   #18
TailGator

Any reason you are not considering the Beretta Neos? Very reliable and accurate. Small grip is nice for ladies with small hands. Your kids will probably like the styling. Heck, you can even get pink grips for it if you want. I have taken several young women, friends of my daughters, shooting for the first time, and they all have immediate success, which translates to encouragement and fun. Plus it is a very simple pistol to field strip and clean.
Old October 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #19
9mmsnoopy

I bought an SR22 three weeks ago. At first it was shooting way high, i had to aim at the bottom of the target to hit the center. A few turns of the rear sight and now its dead on, i really like it and recommend it. Ive pumped atleast a couple thousand rounds thru it already.
Bushmaster AR15
Old October 12, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
papadave

S&W 22a
Old October 13, 2012, 07:58 AM   #21
wetdawg

Teaching to shoot - go precision

Just a simple point, but if you're focused on teaching shoot, I'd go with a precision-based handgun in .22LR.
Not taking away from any of the other brands mentioned but, teaching sight alignment and trigger control to a new shooter has to result in paper punches down range.
Best I've found is the Sig (Hammerli) Trailside. There are plenty in the market and they are great teaching guns.
and yes, I have two, one in 4" and one in 6" with the weight under the barrel.
There has never been an enemy soldier killed with: A Basketball, A Volley Ball, A Bowling Ball, A Tennis Ball, A Boxing Glove, A Baseball, A Football, A Golf Ball...This has always been the task of an accomplished MARKSMAN!!!
Old October 13, 2012, 10:52 AM   #22
j3ffr0

See which fits your hand best:
Mark III
Buckmark
22/45

For me it was the Mark III
Old October 13, 2012, 01:42 PM   #23
hounddawg

Got a Buckmark that has seen 2000 + rounds since it was last cleaned and it shoots anything and I do mean anything that I put into it. Only thing it has ever seen is bulk ammo from Wallyworld. I put a inexpensive red dot on it and the darn thing is almost boring to shoot it is so accurate

Only thing I have against the gun is that it a pain to disassemble so I decided to just wait on cleaning until either the accuracy or reliability started to go before cleaning. Still shooting it and waiting on it to start screwing up
Old October 13, 2012, 01:50 PM   #24
NO-BODY

Had Rugers and Brownings, got a Browning. Pick one of those. Buckmark is my favorite. I used one for teaching concealed carry classes and shot thousands of rounds though it. Bought a new Buckmark this year, a camper.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:39 PM   #25
Joe Chicago

See if the SW 22A fits her hand. It is inexpensive, accurate, reliable and very easy to maintain. Unlike the Ruger, you can break down a 22A to clean in around 30 seconds without tools and put it back together in the same time. It is a great gun for the beginner, or even an experienced shooter. And it is easy to install different barrels later.