The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2011, 04:24 PM   #1
praetorian97

New Brass

Did I screw up?

Bought some new Remington 45 acp brass. I didnt size them before priming and completing them. I figured hey new brass from the factory.
Old May 20, 2011, 07:40 AM   #2
CherokeeT

Usually need to size new brass but not always, in my experience. Take a loaded round and see if you can put enough pressure (base in palm, bullet nose against bench) on the bullet to force it deeper into the case. If it moves (measure OAL first) after this, you have insufficient neck tension. Don't try to compensate by overcrimping, pull the bullets and learn your lesson.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Sevens

I agree. If you have good bullet tension and they fit in your pistol's chamber with ease, then your biggest "screw up" was paying for new brass in .45 Auto.

.45 Auto is very, very low-stress. You can reload .45 many, many times, it's one of the friendliest out there. You are more apt to lose them in the weeds than you are to wear them out.

Anyone else's already used range brass would have a fine investment. Paying for new in .45 Auto is paying too much for brass, IMO. But not to worry, it's done now. When you feel like you need more of it, look for someone selling used brass.
Old May 20, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
praetorian97

Oh trust me. I do everything short of a metal detector looking for my used brass. I just got into reloading so I bought some new 45 brass to start off it.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:16 AM   #5
Shootest

Bet you will never do that again.

Last edited by Shootest; May 21, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:31 PM   #6
dikko

I always size new brass. You can't rely on it being OK, and why try them all in your chamber when you can use that time to size them and get it right beyond question.
Old May 21, 2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

Cheapest source of loadable brass

All the new brass I ever buy is

1) on sale at a REALLY good price or
2) factory ammo I will make loadable myself.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; May 21, 2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old May 21, 2011, 05:06 PM   #8
Jim243

Quote:
I do everything short of a metal detector looking for my used brass
Ok I knew I needed a new peice of reloading equipment. Good Idea.

Jim
Old May 22, 2011, 02:04 PM   #9
Inspector3711

Yeah, I've been reloading for a few years now. Just bought my first .45acp recently. Picked up 500 mixed once-fired cases from Ken's Brass online for $7.32 per 100....

With rifles I tend to be more picky though.