The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 15, 2011, 01:13 PM   #1
WADesertRT

Herter's Press

I've been lurking here for a while because I interested in getting back in to shooting after many years away. I'd also like to do some reloading again. I haven't done any since the late 50's. Anyway, This is a picture of the old Herter's press we (my Dad and brothers) use to reload with. I kinda would like to clean it up and update it some and use it. I know I can get an adapter so I can use RCBS or other shell holders, what I am wondering is could I use a Hornady's Lock-n-Load adapter on it. It looks like the part the dies are screwed into should screw out (the part the arrow is pointing to in the picture) because it has a knurled top and a set screw on the side. Does anyone know what the threads are that that part is screwed into?

Thanks and great forum. I've learned a lot already.
IMG_2790.JPG

Last edited by WADesertRT; May 15, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Sid

I had one of these and used it with an adapter for awhile. It does not have a primer catcher or some other features found on modern presses. After awhile I got rid of it and bought a new press. I never regretted it.
Old May 15, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

WadesertRt:

I would buy a RCBS Rock Chucker and retire the Herter's. My first press was a C type by Lyman, it was to light so I bought a Pacific Pro O and it seated the primers up side down so I bought the Rock Chucker in 1964 and I'm still using it. It's heavy without spring.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old May 15, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4
wncchester

Your Herter's press was and remains a good one for any common reloading chores, there certainly is no automatic reason to replace it. Most 'modern' presses (RCBS) with 'primer catchers' miss as much as half the spent primers so that's not a lot of difference.

Don't know why you would want any 'quick-swap' gimmic for your dies even if the bushing adapter would fit - which is uncertain. It will take about 5 seconds to swap bushing dies, about 45 seconds to swap screw-in dies, 'losing' about 40 seconds per exchange. For handguns we usually use three dies, so bushings will 'save' about two minutes in a typical loading session and about a minute and a half for rifle reloading. If you are one of the few who find that amount of time to be earth shaking, go for it!
Old May 16, 2011, 09:16 AM   #5
WADesertRT

Thanks for the input. I haven't looked at pressed since the early 60's so I'm out of touch. I'm thinking I will keep the Herters and start out (again) with it. Get the adapter for the shell holders and spend some on newer scales and other accessories.
Old May 16, 2011, 12:13 PM   #6
mikld

Nuttin' wrong with the Herter's press. I don't know about the threads on the insert, but there's no problems changing dies and you'll have to get used to adjusting dies again anyway. I seriously doubt you will experience any "spring" of the frame of your press when reloading any sporting arms ammo. Prolly last another 50 years...
Old May 16, 2011, 08:17 PM   #7
Topload

I've been reloading with a Herters press for 40 years - no complaints - guess its what you get used to that matters. I can change dies / shell holders and be back to reloading plenty quick. Of course I'm retired and time isn't what it used to be........
Old May 18, 2011, 06:04 PM   #8
F. Guffey

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/2005_2...derCatalog.pdf

Click on the link above, scroll to page 11, left column, there are 4 press bushings, I would suggest you call Hornady, they will know if they have a lock and load bushing for the Herters press.

http://www.hornady.com/free-catalog

F. Guffey