The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
DavidAGO

First session casting bullets

spent a few hours last evening smelting lead and casting my first bullets. It is almost as much fun as reloading. Learning a new skill set is always fun, especially when it involves surmounting small glitches and problems. I had ordered a lee production pot, but it is on backorder, so I borrowed a friend's 50-odd year old melter, a saeco bottom pour. I avoided the zinc wheelweights, thank you, forum. Fluxing is the first glitch, I used wax, worked fine, but too smoky in my small shop.
I had ordered Lee molds, because of the price. I figured if I didn't cotton to casting, I would not be out too much. I liked the price, but I think I will have to do some more figgeting with them to get them to work properly. The sprueplate holes had burrs that would not have allowed a smooth pour, and some tiny burrs had to be removed to allow the halves to come together exactly. Hard to cast exact bullets when the mold doesn't close exactly. Overall, I am pleased with the Lee molds. I have to find a better support to hold the molds while pouring, the little rod on the saeco is inadequate with the 6 cavity molds and I had a hard time holding level enough for all six pours. Overall, about 40% of my first batch of bullets came out right. If possible, I do not want to reinvent the wheel, so questions:

For casting itself, how often and what flux do you use? Are there any that are less smoky?
What type of support do you use under the pot? How far below the spout do you hold the mold?
Is there a good release agent for the molds? the Lee molds seemed to drop only about half the bullets cleanly, even after smoking the cavities.
How often do you smoke the cavities? it did not seem that smoking them every other pour helped the drop rate.
Last question, Heating the molds was a bit difficult; I had two 6 cavity molds, both would not fit on top of the melter at the same time. How do you keep more than one mold heated properly? Or should I just be happy with only casting from one mold at a time?

Thanks for any help

DavidAGO
Old March 18, 2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Mr Odd Six

Are you using a themometer to 650 degrees?

smoke normally is to hot or rubbish in the lead.

I use an cast iron pot on a camp stove (fired by propane).

Use one mold at a time, run a few though it, and dump thme back into the pot. this will warm up the mold, so you can use it.

casting is a hit and miss thing until you have done it a bunch.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
kraigwy

LOL welcome to my world. You're hooked. Casting is more adictive then dope.

I've been doing it for 40 years. Gone through several pots. I have ove 100 differant molds. Casting for 26 differant calibers, pistol and rifle. Three luber sizers. Differant people have differant methods, you have to work out your own.

Me I flux every time I add lead to the pot. I dont normally smoke molds unless they are new, and that's more to get the grease off. I found if the molds are heated properly If I wack them with a plastic mallet before I open the spruce cutter. Then wack the molds good and they fall out.

Best information I can give you is to check out WWW.castbulletassoc.org
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071