The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 30, 2007, 09:55 PM   #1
prime8

mounting a 1 piece base

I recently bought burris steel rings and a Weaver 1 piece base for my win 70.
I cant get my scope to even bore sight!! There is not enough adjustment in the scope to get it far enough down on target. At 15 ft the cross hairs are a good 2 inches above the target. Ive tried shimming the base, but it wasnt enough. what am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old July 2, 2007, 07:02 PM   #2
srtrax

This is just a shot in the dark, but try reversing the rings, i've seen it work before!
Old July 3, 2007, 10:00 AM   #3
johnbt

That could work. The receiver could be out of whack from heat treatment. The base could be out of whack. Have you shot it yet to see where it hits? I don't trust scopes, even though the new ones are hugely better than the ones from 50 years ago.

If nothing works and you don't want to send it back and deal with all that, take a look at the bottom of the page at the link

www.burrisoptics.com/sigrings.html

By using the Signature Pos-Align® Offset Insert Kit in their Signiture rings you can move the scope within the rings to get it centered. I've used them and they work.

John
Old July 3, 2007, 10:08 AM   #4
johnbt

Did they give you the right base? Click on Winchester in the drop-down list and check the chart for your exact Model 70 by action length, year, whatever. It's cheaper to check than immediately buying more parts.

www.weaver-mounts.com/charts/charts.aspx

John
Old July 3, 2007, 06:52 PM   #5
prime8

this is crazy....

Ive reversed the rings, checked the part #, and everything checks out. I hope my action isnt warped.. I doubt it. This rifle was very accurate till the last set of crappy rings broke!! Could it be in the scope? The front ring snapped and the scope hit the barrel pretty hard. Im about to take it to a smith, but if its somthing stupid, Im gonna feel like a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color].
Old July 3, 2007, 09:09 PM   #6
johnbt

I was assuming it was a new rifle. It's the scope. John
Old September 12, 2007, 10:27 PM   #7
prime8

It wasnt the scope!!!

Changed scopes. Had it mounted on leupold bases,w/ burris align rings. Rifle shoots great! love the new scope. I put the NcStar scope on my 22 mag and it works great! I ended up replacing a perfectly good scope, but I have a new one, of much better quality, that I am now very fond of. The cheap rings were the real problem, but the one piece base idea, turned out to be a bad one for my rifle.