The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 25, 2002, 11:01 PM   #1
kjm

more guns

Here is another, an 1873 Trapdoor springfield with a serial number:
2849**
This one was purchased directly from the Army by my grandfather back in the '30's for hunting purposes at Ft. Sam Houston. He also bought the following rifle from the Army while there:

The sideplate reads:
Model 1898
Springfield Armory
2396**
The stock cartouche is very clear but due to the decorative style I can only guess and it looks like the following:
It is about 1" rectangle with JLA and below that is 1899.

And one more on this post:
A model 1898 Mauser with the following marks:
It has AX 1940 on the reciever ring with ser # 580. All the numbers are matches and the barrel has the letters NEU
Old October 25, 2002, 11:44 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

The trapdoor was made in 1884. Caliber is .45-70.

The Model 1898 is commonly called the Krag or Krag-Jorgensen. If in the original caliber, it is .30-40 Krag. The cartouche is JSA, for J. Sumnar Adams, the Springfield Master Armorer and chief inspector. The date would be correct for the serial number, so the stock appears to be original to the gun.

The German code "ax" is shown in my source as Feinmaschinenwerke in Erfurt, which was the later name for Erfurter Maschinenfabrik (ERMA). I can't find a code "NEU", although that is the German word for "new".

If those guns are all original and in decent shape, you have some very nice pieces.

Jim