The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 22, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Wyoredman

Browning Silver Hunter Micro Midas

Just picked up my wife's new Browning Silver Hunter Micro Midas from the gun shop last evening.

What a cool little 20 ga! The wood is pretty good, and the receiver with it's silver finish and semi-humpback is very cool.

It has a 13" LOP, but I am not sure if it fits her.

She is new to shot guns and I am having a hard time getting her to mount the gun correctly in her shoulder.

She seems to not get her head (cheek) far enough forward on the stock? She had been shooting my Remington 11-87 20 ga., so I thought this shorter gun would be better for her.

Last night, I had her shoulder the Browning, and it still looked too long!

She is 5'9" tall, so 13" should be close.

Any suggestions how to get her to mount the gun correctly so I can see if the LOP is close? To me shot-gunning has always been second nature, and I am a terrible coach!

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by Wyoredman; October 22, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old October 22, 2013, 01:42 PM   #2
BigJimP

For her --- or for anyone...to practice a good gun mount...

gun unloaded obviously...

Have her stand 12 or 15 feet accross a room ( facing a wall swith on the opposite wall )...holding the gun in both hands ...but down by her waist.

Take a stance..feet shoulder width apart ( not too wide )....

keep gun down ....look at wall switch ...then close her eyes and not move her head ....( key is not moving her head ).

then make a move with the gun to mount it ...envision mounting a gun by moving along 3 sides of a rectangle ( not a circle or an oval )...move the gun out in front of her to full arms length....then straight up ...and then straight back to her shoulder ...( idea is to bring the gun into her shoulder - and ideally not move her head). She wants to bring the gun to her shoulder and into her face ...not move her face down to the gun...../ and then open her eyes.

Goals....
1. gun should be level / not canted or rolled left or right...
2. as she opens her eyes...and does not move her head or the gun ..she ought to still be looking at the wall switch ...
3. he forward hand should be neutral - maybe holding 30% of the weight.
4. her grip with her rear hand should be firm ( but not squeezing the finish off the gun either ).
5. evaluate the angles of her forearms...( elbow position )....

start over - go back to gun at waist....eyes open, look at wall switch - close eyes ...do the gun mount again ....out, up, back...then open eyes....

and if she is strong enough, do it 10 times.
-----------
Then evaluate the mount - where her face is on the comb relative to her thumb...what is she looking at / maybe length of pull is ok - maybe not / if she has grooved the mount - and she is not looking at the switch or pretty close to it ..../ gun might not fit her without some adjustments to comb.

After she has got the gun mount grooved...../ practice gun mount ...10 times per session.....do one or two sessions an evening....2 or 3 days a week.../ then take her to the club / put in a full choke ( do the mount ) and see if that gun is hitting where she is looking / if not, then make comb adjustments.../maybe heel adjustments...
------------------
I hope that makes some sense...

the "rectangle" move ...keeps the butt of the gun from hanging up on her chest, shooting vest, coat...whatever.../ and it works for all of us - men and women -- for clays, in the field, etc....( for Trap, Skeet, 5 Stand and Sporting Clays ...a pre-mounted gun is allowed in the rules)...and then she calls for her bird after she shifts her eyes...

hunting, is really no different...eye on bird...execute a clean gun mount...eyes stay on bird ...( feel the lead ), pull trigger and follow thru.../ rotating with the lower body - not pushing the gun around with her arms / face always stays on comb as you execute the shot ..and as you follow thru...

Last edited by BigJimP; October 22, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old October 23, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Dreaming100Straight

A pic of her with the gun mounted would help.
Old October 24, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
PetahW

I would WAG that (like many neophytes) she's pointing the gun straight out in front of her torso, instaed of pointing it off slightly across her upper torso.

I would ensure that she's mounting the gun, with the gun pointing a bit to the left if she's right-handed (opposite for a lefty).

The line across the shooter's shoulders should be about (+/-) 45-degrees to the line of the barrel(s).

Last edited by PetahW; October 24, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old October 24, 2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Wyoredman

Thank you all. Great information.