The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 6, 2009, 03:41 PM   #76
SkySlash

The gunsmith let the snake sit long enough to dry out. He then welded a brass "drywall screw" onto the end of a brass rod and screwed it deep into the snake. He said it took several tries, but once he snagged it he was able to pull it straight out.

Barrel had no visible damage at all.

-SS
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old June 6, 2009, 07:48 PM   #77
surg_res

Good for you! Sounds like the best $70 you'll ever spend. I have to say the suspense of this thread has been intense, glad you guys kept at it.
Old June 8, 2009, 01:15 PM   #78
SkySlash

Yup! Ended up being $86.50, but it was worth every penny and then some!

-SS
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
Old June 8, 2009, 03:21 PM   #79
Jazzninja

Man, I'm too late. I used to repair brass and woodwind musical instruments, and one of the more common "repairs" that I ran into was that of the silk bore swab that had gotten stuck in the bore of an oboe. That is the exact fix that I would use. I made a tool by brazing a small wood screw onto a long brass rod. I would chuck the screwless end of the rod into a bench motor (power off) and then carefully insert the rod into the bore and hand turn the chuck. The screw would bite in to the swab and you could pull it out the way it came in. I only charged $15.00 though. Glad you were able to get the issue resolved.
Old June 11, 2009, 01:00 AM   #80
MagnumWill

Quote:
Once again, you're not going to make a "pit" in a barrel with a brush made of a softer material than the barrel is made of, any more than you're going to drill a hole in a receiver with a drill made out of a green bean. You may end up smearing lubricant or left-over jacket material around (making it APPEAR to be a pit), but that's a far, far cry from either "pitting" or "ruining" a barrel.
+1 says me and my machinist

I can't remember what Rockwell number brass is, but I know that barrel steel is much higher. a couple reversals here and there shouldn't hurt it.

and when using my boresnake--i NEVER reverse it-- it comes out the muzzle, out the muzzle, out the muzzle.... you know