The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 19, 2006, 10:08 PM   #1
Sir William

Almost got shot.

It was a little bit scary. I was sitting and drinking coffee with some friends. SMACK! We all three took cover. The other patrons in the coffee shop thought we were acting goofy. We looked up and there was a round hole/star in the 4'X6" double insulated glass window behind our booth. We are not sure if it was a 22 pellet, a 22 CB or a 22 rf. It was a eye opener!! The PD responded 35 minutes after the 911 call. They said they had a suspect. The owner was in the shop and he acted aloof and unconcerned. It was strange and a odd feeling after coming out from cover. Noone drew as there was no target to ID. I found it a bit weird to note that three of us had taken cover and were aware/upset and other customers kept their seats or went goggly over our actions.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:17 PM   #2
Recon7

your post says it all, you and your frends have the sense to get down when hearing a gunshot, and all the yuppies in starbucks think you are crazy. the police take 35 minutes to respond. that must be the best answer to the "why ccw" threads I've ever heard.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3
Optical Serenity

Recon7, I think you missed the point. The PD were out getting the perp...Many times we respond to a scene and go ahead and identify someone in the area and we don't actually show up to the scene of a crime right away. We may have gotten there 2 min. after the call went out, but don't make contact for 25. That is why 911 operators are trained to ask a thousand questions for us and assess the situation.

Sounds to me like the PD did a good job.
Old January 19, 2006, 10:32 PM   #4
dasmi

Was the bullet recovered?
Old January 19, 2006, 11:18 PM   #5
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
William, that's you/your general area getting shot at twice in a month, isn't it?

You really oughtta consider moving... (!)

Wolfe.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old January 20, 2006, 12:36 AM   #6
Sir William

I am here to stay. We are having dumb idiots with firearms problems though. The PD is concentrating on higher profile tool thefts. IOWs, car repair shops are getting most of the patrols. The car shop owners are not happy with the PD and are offering several rewards for the burglars. I hear shots fired here often. There was a yob with a AR that fired it in the air recently in a racial incident. The PD is hiring more officers. They are short bodies, long on response time and just dropped the CLEOs contract for lack of improvement.
Old January 20, 2006, 12:51 AM   #7
Garand Illusion

Quote:
Recon7, I think you missed the point. The PD were out getting the perp...Many times we respond to a scene and go ahead and identify someone in the area and we don't actually show up to the scene of a crime right away. We may have gotten there 2 min. after the call went out, but don't make contact for 25. That is why 911 operators are trained to ask a thousand questions for us and assess the situation.

Sounds to me like the PD did a good job.
2 minutes or 20 minutes doesn't really matter. If the BG had calmly walked into the restaurant and begun shooting people, I would not want to be the helpless victim for any amount of time.

How many times can I get shot in 120 seconds? Too many.

This thread also shows how CCW is also not guarantee of safety. If that bullet had been to someone's head, they would be just as dead unarmed as carrying an ar15.
Old January 20, 2006, 01:43 AM   #8
springmom

Good grief

Sir William, have you noticed a flock of vultures following you around lately? Any owls hooting outside your window at night? Black cats? You seriously need to start carrying a four-leaf clover or SOMETHING. Lord have mercy!

And don't sit by the window, silly. It isn't tactical

Springmom, glad you are safe....AGAIN....

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old January 20, 2006, 06:11 AM   #9
Garand Guy

Well, at least you and your buddies had the common sense to get down. I guess everyone else wanted to play "hold the bullseye".

A few months ago, a co-worker was going home after work and a bullet went through the back window of his pickup. He also had the common sense to get the heck outa Dodge. He called the police when he got home. A good fifteen miles from where the incident happened.
Old January 20, 2006, 09:39 AM   #10
BigFunWMU

I hear they sell WWII suprlus helmets and whatnot at a decent prices at gun shows and a couple places online. Walking the pooch and in the restraunt.....

Have you make someone with lots of money really really mad at you lately?

But seriously, if there are enough bullets flying around to almost get you shot twice in a month, its time to look at a vest. Even a light and cheap one, just something to keep you not dead.
Old January 20, 2006, 11:47 AM   #11
Mikeyboy

Sir William...yea this is the second time you got shot at..are you in witness protection...did you have a long italian name before??
Old January 20, 2006, 12:46 PM   #12
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
I hear shots fired here often.
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider that a real friendly neighborhood. I have to ask - if you're living in an area where gunplay is actually common, why do you want to stay? Even if I wasn't the one getting shot, I think I'd find that unpleasant and stressful.
Old January 20, 2006, 01:10 PM   #13
Mikeyboy

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't consider that a real friendly neighborhood. I have to ask - if you're living in an area where gunplay is actually common, why do you want to stay? Even if I wasn't the one getting shot, I think I'd find that unpleasant and stressful.
I was born and raised in the city, and in the summer with the window open you would here dogs barking, people yelling, fire/police sirens, and shots fired. When I moved to the Burbs and all I heard was crickets and silence, I couldn't sleep a wink.
Old January 20, 2006, 05:02 PM   #14
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
I was born and raised in the city, and in the summer with the window open you would here dogs barking, people yelling, fire/police sirens, and shots fired. When I moved to the Burbs and all I heard was crickets and silence, I couldn't sleep a wink.
True, I suppose a lot is what you're used to, what your experience and expectations are.