The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2001, 01:19 AM   #1
Doc Hudson

Are there any other students of the cane as a martial arts weapon here?

Thanks to bum knees, having a cane handy has become a necessity. I have recently acquires a fine hickory cane from http://www.canemasters.com , along with some training videos.

I'd never trade my cane for a S&W .357, but neither would I want to be on the receiving end of a shellacking with my cane.

It is made from heart hickory with a teardrop cross section, which gives it a viscious striking edge. The maker says he calls it "tear drop" becuse when you whack someone across the shin it will bring tears. The point of the crook has a single sharp point and there is a hand grip on the shaft just below the crook.

Any one in search of a less lethal weapon, and sharing my distrust of gas, should visit the Cane Master website, and give them a call. Master Mark Shuey is quite a gentleman and a pleasure to talk with.

Doc
Old February 11, 2001, 04:59 PM   #2
Erich

I love mine.
Old February 11, 2001, 11:20 PM   #3
mooser

The cane is a wonderful tool. One of our in house trainers instructs in the cane as a defensive tool. I have taken several seminars of his and have found the cane to be very useful. One of the things that I like about it is that it is very unsuspecting to people. They just see a person with a cane. You can take it whereever you go, even on an airplane, or when you travel places that you can't have a firearm. Again it is just another tool in the toolbox.

just my $.02
Sully
http://www.defensive-edge.net
Old February 11, 2001, 11:51 PM   #4
Doc Hudson

Moose is 100% right about the go everywhere nature of the caned. Including airplanes, the Vatican Museum, St. Peter
s Bascilica, everywhere.

It even got me put ahead in lines a few times.

Doc Hudson
Old February 12, 2001, 10:10 PM   #5
gryphon

I learned how to fight with a cacne during my training in Hapkido. I don't need a cane, but I thought, "what the hell".

I prefer it second only to a broom handle or something similar.
Old February 13, 2001, 11:20 AM   #6
Gus~

I have a few canes, love em...

Just wish I could use them more, with all the in/out of cars
I don't get a chance to just walk with them as much as I would like to.
Old February 13, 2001, 01:47 PM   #7
handgun357

I trained with a cane along with a 4ft. jo staff in
kung-fu. There were 2 forms to master for my 2nd degree black sash. The techniques are similar between the jo and cane, but you have an advantage of the hooked end.
I have seen some canes with a sword inside that are very intrieging, but I have not found one of very good quality yet.
Happy Combating...........
Old February 13, 2001, 02:48 PM   #8
David Scott

A sword cane will get you busted in many jurisdictions, but a plain old walking stick will not. I have a cane purchased many years ago when I sprained my ankle. It was hand carved by a Korean out of some very strong, rigid unknown wood. I've never thought of carrying it as a "hide in plain sight" weapon, but this thread has me thinking. I'm not martial arts trained, but hey, just having a stick is better than not having a stick.
Old February 23, 2001, 12:48 AM   #9
Canuck84

Anyone who says Canes are not a lethal tool should watch the movie "a clockwork orange". Kubrick is teetertotering between brilliance and insanity but that's not the point. 8-)

When those clowns go around beating others with the canes it is a excellent example of how ANYTHING around us can be a weapon and a cane is a perfect unsuspected tool.

Now I'll be more careful viewing elders with canes as defenceless citizens........

Regards...

Canuck84
Old February 23, 2001, 07:20 AM   #10
Halfpint

Location: About to be gobbled up by "The People's Republic of Firestone"!
Doc,

I've carried one now for almost 35 yrs both for `support' *and* as another tool for `personal protection'. {BSE GRIN!} That one you've got sounds almost `delicious'! {CHORTLE!} Take the time to `study' it under a `good' `master' and you will never regret it. My current `favorite' is a custom made aluminum one that looks like one of those adjustable ones with the handle that almost looks like an old fashioned woodsaw handle. But! Instead of the handle being plastic like the ones you usually see the whole cane is one piece with the body anodized a really pretty lepoard spotted bronze like finish and the handle is rubberized with a dark brown rubbery pebble grained material. (I sometimes get some weird looks if I happen to let it drop since it goes *Thwunk* instead of a tinny `clatter' but, I figure it's a small price to pay for the sturdiness it has compared to the ones it looks like. [WICKED GRIN!})

Of course I'm out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there!
Old February 24, 2001, 12:28 AM   #11
guerilla1138

I love the cane.
The only deadly weapon I can walk thru airport security with.

Even tho I am 15 I have a legit reason for a cane, since I have managed to bung up both my knee's.

Just finished working on one of those oak canes you buy at walmart, putting a gripping area onto it on the shaft right below the crook, and sanding it to make it look used.
If a cop asks me about it and I say I need it all the time, but it doesnt look like I use it all the time, I dont think the cop would be inclined to believe me.