The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 25, 2011, 10:41 PM   #1
45ACPShooter

Derringer Pistol

I'm interested in getting some kind of Derringer pistol. I'm not very familiar with this style of hand though and wanted to know if anyone had any good recommendations.
Old January 25, 2011, 10:45 PM   #2
Deja vu

don't buy the 45-70 Derringer. I shot one about 2 months ago and my hand hurt for 2 days.

I own a Derringer in 357 magnum and while it hurts to shoot its not so bad that I am afraid to shoot it

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 25, 2011, 11:07 PM   #3
michael t

Stay a way from the cheap cobra ones. The good ones are fairly expensive . and you can carry a 5 shot snub just as easy.
Old January 25, 2011, 11:20 PM   #4
sirsloop

45-70 Derringer with factory loads!!! DO ITTT!!
Old January 25, 2011, 11:23 PM   #5
sirsloop

while this isnt probably what you are specifically looking for... its basically an awesome little pocket pistol.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Edit - bad words - GEM

I think you are looking for the tiny little two barrel break action style pistols right?

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; January 26, 2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Bad words
Old January 26, 2011, 12:01 AM   #6
chewie146

Bond

Hey guy. I just got a Bond Arms in 9mm, and I love that little thing. The recoil is akin to a snubbie .38, and I've shot 124 +P through it without any sort of pain or ear-splitting boom. It's a good caliber for a derringer, IMHO. However, they can be had in everything from .22 lr to .45 colt with some rather rare .44 magnum barrels out there. The stopped production on those due to inertia-induced double taps that were brought on by gunk in the firing pin channel.

If you get one, get the pistol caliber you want, then you can get a .45/.410 barrel for half price, as they have all 4 lengths as factory 2nd models. The .410 out of a derringer is about as useful as a football bat, but it would be fun. The .45 colt is no slouch, though. Mine's most accurate with 147 Remington LeadLess ammo.
Old January 26, 2011, 12:59 AM   #7
claymore1500

WOW! only two posts for someone to throw up a .38snub, how original.

Now for a reasonable answer to the OP's question, I have looked at the Bond arms derringers and found them to be way bigger than a true derringer should be, I bought an American derringer due to it being more "true to size" and looks,
(they more closley resemble an original design) mine is chambered in .45acp, more than enough, but still lets you know you are shooting a formidable round.

I also have a Davis derringer, true, they are cheap, mine is ,22lr with an aluminum/pot metal frame and barrel assembly, with steel liners in the barrels, it is very small and fun to shoot as well. both have excellant cross bolt safeties and would almost be impossible to be fired if dropped.

THe third and oldest one I own was made by Tanarmi, imported by Excam, it fires .38spl, also has a good cross bolt safety but you must hold it in the off position to fire it (designed that way) you have to push the safety with your shooting hand thumb while pulling the trigger, the button is spring loaded so when you cock the hammer it reapplies the safety, (as far as I know, these are no longer availiable in the U.S. as new).

Old January 26, 2011, 10:14 AM   #8
sirsloop

well... explain what is wrong with a .38 snub? Is the OP buying something to carry, or buying something to dink around with?
Old January 26, 2011, 10:20 AM   #9
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, maybe he wants a derringer and not a snub. How about that?

I think currentquality production is probably the Bond line. The American Derringer line is a phantom presence.

Iver Johnson has mentioned new 4 Barrel Sharps but I haven't seen them.

The Davis/Cobra, etc. are not well respected.
Old January 26, 2011, 10:41 AM   #10
RichardWA

I have 2 made by American Derringer, one is 357mag the othe is .45 Colt/410.

The 357 is fun to shoot with .38 special, 357 hurts a little. Shot a couple
2.5" 000 buck through the .45, wasn't to bad.....

The main problem I have with them is they are hard hold with such a small grip on them.

Ruger 10-22, Marlin model 60 22lr, Marlin Stainless Steel model 60 22lr, Winchester Model 94 AE 44 mag, Mossberg model 500A 12 gauge pump, H&R Pardner 410, Mosin m38 , S&W model 19-5 357 mag, Colt DA 45, Colt Frontier Scout 22lr, Highpoint 9mm Marlin 81DL, Marlin 336 30-30, Berreta 950 .25acp
Old January 26, 2011, 10:53 AM   #11
LarryFlew

FIE, Tanamara, Excam all the same and the newer ones do not have the safety. 38 Special is easy to shoot. None are very accurate but hey they are a close quarters gun.

Lot of fun for a little money and you can almost always get your money back selling them once you get past the fun part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg derringer.jpg (105.0 KB, 68 views)
Old January 26, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
L_Killkenny

Sirsloop, do you really think he doesn't know snubbies exist? He asked about derringers, why he wants one is none of your/our business. Anyone with 1/2 a brain nose a 5 shot snubbie is better in a fight than a 2 shot derringer. Some guys do the same dang thing when someone brings up a revolver and they retort with "buy a semi, its better and holds more rounds". Maybe that person doesn't want/need a glock and why is not the question.

Some (most) folks are fine with no gun, some with 2 shots, some with 5 and others that think they need 3 guns and 100 rounds of ammo on their person. But he didn't ask do I need 2 shots, 5 shots or 3 guns. He asked about derringers.

To the OP, I handled the Cimmeron Derringers and they seem better than the Cobra/Davis ones. They seem to run in the $200-$250 range and come with 2 barrels in 2 different calibers. One is a .22LR/.22M version and the other a .32H&R/.38SP. Doubt they're on par with a Bond Arms but they are smaller and more traditional, Just a thought.

LK
Old January 26, 2011, 08:26 PM   #13
claymore1500

Quote:
I handled the Cimmeron Derringers and they seem better than the Cobra/Davis ones
Not trying to disrespect your statement, I just checked both the cimmeron derringer site and the cobra derringer site, What I noticed is that they seem to be cast in the same mould, also I noticed that they (cobra) are the makers of the "titan" derringer, "Made exclusively for cimmeron firearms".

Got me wondering if cimmeron derringers are all made by cobra???

Last edited by claymore1500; January 27, 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Old January 26, 2011, 08:52 PM   #14
youngunz4life

claymore1500 or whomever else can help

Quote:
I have looked at the Bond arms derringers and found them to be way bigger than a true derringer should be, I bought an American derringer due to it being more "true to size" and looks,
(they more closley resemble an original design) mine is chambered in .45acp, more than enough, but still lets you know you are shooting a formidable round.
I have been looking for a nice derringer for a long time(here and there). I have been talked out of it by gun saleman, I have had trouble another time because the calibers weren't my style, and still another time it was too old/used. I also don't know enough about the weapon- basically I will search bond arms when people say they're good and american after your post, etc. I definately like the 'true size theory'. I also want a heavier round Without screwing up the derringer or having something that does hurt. I have never minded kick; I just want one that is strong caliber, good, small/true size, a good firearm, and one that won't be too too much of a kick. once again, kick has never bothered me yet in all my shooting career, and the weapon is for emergencies anyways(except when I shot it every once in a while), but I have heard wild stories about unreliable derringers and the gun store guy told me it was a waste of time because of the hurting of my hand.

anyways, I want one. where is a good place to buy the .45acp american derringer and/or can you give me any other good advice? I want a true, ccw derringer that is reliable and powerful. thank you - I have had trouble singling out a good derringer more than any other firearm I have ever bought!! it is confusing- I am not sure if the 45 is even the best choice. I just liked your collection claymore and you seemed to have some knowledge on the weapon. I probably haven't bought one yet because I don't like to feel my way after purchases. I like to decide on the right one 1st!
Old January 26, 2011, 09:46 PM   #15
claymore1500

Quote:
claymore1500 or whomever else can help
Ok, I will give this a try, (I was going to say " going to give this a shot" but I decided it was a bad pun, so I didn't)

Anyway, I (Like I said) have looked at bond arms, and they are just too big to suit me, The american derringer is more traditionally sized, Mine was bought used, so I didn't have the choice of calibres, but chances are I would have picked the .45acp anyway as this is just a fun gun, not so much for carry.

It should be noted that these CAN hurt your hand, It states in the manual to limit shooting to just a few at a time, I am 6'4" 240# heavy truck mechanic and if I may say so, my hands are used to impact and very strong, so I can shoot a box at a time with out even feeling it.

That said, for the intention you stated, I might suggest one in .357mag, due to the fact that if you want to make a day at the range with it you can shoot .38spl.

They are accurate within thier accepted range, as far as the few people that claim you will do better with a .38snub nose, I agree with respect to capasity, but disagree with range or power, let me explain, THe snub with a 2 in. bbl. compared to a derringer with a 2 in. bbl., the derringer will give you better ballistics due to no cyl. gap so no loss of energy from gas bleeding off, it may only be a few feet per second, but that will translate into deeper penetration and better bullet performance.

There was a time when there were rumors of american derringers went out of bussiness, not true, the web site was down but they are back up and very much in bussiness.

Also, please note, My opinion of bond arms is just that, my opinion, they are well respected and well made, just too big for my taste.

The davis/cobra line is fine if you are looking for a small cal. but I think that the larger ones MAY beat themselves to death due to the alloy frame and barrel assemblies (see my previous post) the one I have seems to be well made, every thing is tight, even though I have fired hundreds of .22lr. through it over the ten or so years I have had it.

If you have any more questions feel free to pm me and I will try to answer them, I am not a derringer expert by any means, but I do have some experience in the field.
Old January 26, 2011, 11:07 PM   #16
chewie146

Well, I like my Bond, but if you want an American Derringer, I hear they are the best of the original design. They do have the addition of a better safety. Gunbroker came up with a few hits when I typed in a search. I found them ranging from that insane Alaskan Survival to .38 Lady Derringers. Good luck choosing just one! The .45 Colt would be a good choice, if you reload. Otherwise, I'd say the .357 would be your best bet.
Old January 27, 2011, 04:07 AM   #17
Biff Tannen

American derringer only!

American Derringer has THE BEST selection...
They sell a selection WAY SMALLER and LIGHTER and 1/3-1/2 inch thinner than Bond arms.
They also sell heavier ones with longer barrels if you need to pass on the recoil (and concealability).
AND they have the DA-38 and a few other models in DOUBLE ACTION!
They are so well made, just make sure you consider the full selection to see which one is right for you. There are TONS of options!
Their website is hard to navigate, so click here:
http://www.amderringer.com/catalog1.html
When you're there, click on "Download a Copy of Our Catalog"
Downloading their catalog is the ONLY way you can see ALL their models and options! It's the worst site to navigate I've ever seen.... SOmeone ought to tell them to update it and make it more user-friendly...

THE BEST thing is, you call and order directly, so there's no retail markup!
Make sure you check out their extended grips if you plan to take the heavier caliber models to the range... Recoil can be intense with the lighter models...

OH BTW: don't let the derringer haters talk you out of buying a derringer if you really want one... Comments from the derringer haters will be disguised as friendly advice, without answering any of your questions...
EXAMPLE: "You're really better off getting a (insert make and model here), because its almost just as compact, holds many more rounds, and the aim is better." As if you weren't aware that other types of guns exist... Ignore these guys. Get the gun you want and continue your research. Good luck!

Last edited by Biff Tannen; January 27, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:42 AM   #18
youngunz4life

thank you very much! these posts + PM's have helped. the double actions are the same size, right? I do not want to pass on concealability and I want the short barrel. ther safety is a slide right? I am glad I am finally getting somewhere on this issue.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:51 AM   #19
NightSleeper

You may want to go for a smaller caliber. As others have said, large caliber + derringer platform = aching hand. I own a Cimarron .22 Win Mag / .22 LR. It comes with interchangable barrels (.22 Mag or .22 Long Rifle). I absolutely love it.

A .22 is a bit on the light side, but a derringer is a deep concealment gun that is basically your last resort in a life/death situation. I'd go with a .22 magnum if I were you.
Old January 27, 2011, 06:34 PM   #20
youngunz4life

great more than twice the amount I was hoping!
Old January 27, 2011, 07:15 PM   #21
youngunz4life

claymore, whats the shortest barrel I can get? there ofice is closed but thanx for links as yo were right about confusing site. google brings up the 2001 site.

I am seeing model 1(most popular type) at 15oz about with 4.82inch overall length and 3inch barrel. I am not seeing two inch barrel but maybe you were talking about DA?
Old January 27, 2011, 09:28 PM   #22
claymore1500

These two pics should give a better idea of the size, this is the model 1, I believe this is the standard size.

As far as the 2" or 3" bbl, they are measuring from end to end, I am measuring the rifled lenth, as the chamber is not included in my measurement because it does nothing to stabilize the bullet.

Old January 27, 2011, 09:40 PM   #23
Bill DeShivs

Chamber length is always included in autoloading pistols, derringers, and any other gun with a chamber integral with the bore.
Old January 27, 2011, 09:43 PM   #24
youngunz4life

here's the deal

all standard size model 1s are the same, correct? no matter what caliber, right(like with a snubby the .44 magnum is bigger the derringer doesn't have this issue, right)?

this derringer is going to be the 'true' emergency weapon and/or NY reload. I am considering the .44 since a little pain in that situation isn't an issue. if its the same size I might do it because I have a .44 rifle and want a .44 pistol(I have never had one and still kick myself for not buying the S&W 629). I need you to be brutally honest here though(I won't keep bugging you guys and I'll post a picture when I get it), is the .44 a mistake? recoil has never bothered me but from what I understand shooting the .44 derringer actually is painful(from what I have read). I am going to read reviews right now. I believe you about your 357 recoil post. I think I can handle that. Can I shoot 4 rounds of the 44 amer derringer all in a row same hand holding firmly: 2 and then quick reload and two more or am I done after 1-2 shots. basically I know repeatedly it won't work but can I shoot a few or am I barking up the wrong tree here? I just want a lifesaving amer derringer here favoring the heavier calibers, and I might just pop off a couple rounds every few months in the back yard and having it loaded+on safety the rest of the time(I plan on firing 4 rounds in succession immediately upon purchasing it). from what I understand the stainless model 1 can easily handle all the calibers it now comes in(its just the person shooting it who gets the wear and tear- I guess whatever grainage is sold works as well? 357 works I know, but I have 3 of them already. I want something for my rifle to share ammo with. I will be making a decision: price of ammo isn't an issue @ least not in this case but having a better chance at eliminating the threat for good with only two shots is(hence the heavier caliber//I want to kill two birds with one stone)
Old January 27, 2011, 09:50 PM   #25
youngunz4life

thanx for the pix- those helped

Tags
derringer , mousegun