The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 25, 2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Walt Sherrill

Problems with edit function

Over the past week or so, when I go in to make a minor change to a post I've just made, the EDIT mode doesn't show the message that I just entered. (It appears in a flash and then disappears.)

Is there some setting that I've accidentally turned on, or is something else going on.

I tend to make typos when I post, and generally go back in and clean them up when I miss them. Can't do it, right now...
Old January 25, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Mal H
Staff

I'm 99% certain that will turn out to be a browser problem. Have you changed any pop-up protection parameters? Changed any Java/JavaScript or Ajax parameters?

Can you try a different browser to see if it still fails?
Old January 25, 2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Walt Sherrill

I've been using Mozilla and have switched to IE for this. No problem this way.

But, that said, I'm not having problems with the same software on other sites.

Strange.

---

I just signed on with Mozilla. In edit mode, the text was missing, again. I looked for different functions. When I clicked the LEFT ARROW, just above the [INSERT IMAGE] icon, above, the text reappeared. (The next to last control in the line of controls starting with the REMOVE TEXT FORMATING symbol in the text box area, above.)

Even more strange.

I know how to get it back -- but not why it went away...

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 25, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old January 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Very strange! It's as if your delete key is stuck down for that operation only.

The arrow that brought the text back is the Undo key. See if the Firefox Edit->Undo does the same thing (or Ctrl + z).
Old January 26, 2012, 07:07 AM   #5
Walt Sherrill

It's a Firefox issue only.

At least I know how to fix it -- but not why it is a continuing issue with this site only. (If it were a Browser issue, you'd expect it to be a problem with other sites that seem to be using the same software. It isn't.)

(I should have hovered over the arrow to see what it's called. I haven't figured out a practical use for the REDO key, yet. <grin>)
Old January 26, 2012, 10:30 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Have you deleted your Firefox TFL cookie to see if that makes any difference?
Old January 27, 2012, 09:23 AM   #7
tyme
Staff

That sounds like a javascript issue.

Do you have any Firefox extensions that might be interfering with, altering, or selectively blocking javascript? Firewall software -- norton, comodo, etc? Anything like that?

If you restart Firefox with addons disabled (it's an option under the help menu), and try logging into tfl and editing a post, does the problem go away?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; January 27, 2012 at 09:28 AM.