The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 19, 2010, 04:56 PM   #26
Noz

I just went thru this for a club member. I did not know but IAC is the importer only. Norinco is the builder. Some of the later Norincos imported by IAC do not have Norinco on the guns.
From what I could gather, the later models are good cowboy guns.
Old March 19, 2010, 10:28 PM   #27
SG29736

Lately, there have been some of the better shooters switching to doubles from their 97's. Some of them have found that when everything goes right, they will be faster with the 97, but they have had the occasional train wreck with their 97 at a major match and have decided they can be more consistent with the double. Most of them have more than a few 97's to insure that they have one that is running good at all times. Smokin Gator
Old March 20, 2010, 07:34 AM   #28
Delmar

Tell me about the "occasional train wreck". Could this be avoided with regular maintenance? I wouldn't want to count on it as a defensive weapon, it it isn't going to fire when I need it to.
Old March 20, 2010, 12:54 PM   #29
Andy Griffith

The occasional "train wreck" that he speaks of is likely user inflicted when running it in fast "cowboy action" fashioned.

Likely, it's someone that is loading one round at a time over the top, and starts to close the bolt before the shell is all the way in the receiver...
Or someone that has "smoothed" the action to make it "slicker" in an incorrect fashioned.

This crap only happens at cowboy shoots, and would never happen if it was being used the way it supposed to be- with five full rounds being fed from the magazine tube.

Two completely different uses.

I've always thought that CAS shotgun is very, very bad form if you intend on being a defensive shooter. People resort to what their training is if they are in a bad situation- not saying that throwing one shell at a time into the top of a pump shotgun won't work, but it is terrible defensive form if you resort to that and have a mag full of ammo and you wind up jamming it by throwing two shell in it at the same time.
Old March 20, 2010, 03:23 PM   #30
Delmar

Thanks Andy
That clears things up for me.

Quote:
I've always thought that CAS shotgun is very, very bad form if you intend on being a defensive shooter. People resort to what their training is if they are in a bad situation- not saying that throwing one shell at a time into the top of a pump shotgun won't work, but it is terrible defensive form if you resort to that and have a mag full of ammo and you wind up jamming it by throwing two shell in it at the same time.
So if I would use the same gun for CAS and for home defense, I would need to train for both situations. If I go that route I will store it, with only 5 rounds at the ready so that jamming in another shell is not a possibility. So the drill would be, 5 shots, then grab another weapon. Truth is, if 5 rounds from a 12 GA won't solve a home defense issue, I am most likely slap out of luck anyway!
Old March 20, 2010, 04:40 PM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
5 rounds from a 12 GA
My Norinco 97 and original Win. 87 both hold 7.
Old March 21, 2010, 03:39 AM   #32
Delmar

All the better! I have never fired a 97. I inferred that it was a five round gun from what Andy said.
Quote:
This crap only happens at cowboy shoots, and would never happen if it was being used the way it supposed to be- with five full rounds being fed from the magazine tube.
I stand corrected.
Old March 21, 2010, 07:06 AM   #33
Hawg

That's 7 with one chambered.
Old March 21, 2010, 11:13 PM   #34
Andy Griffith

Sorry guys...
I can't remember what my guns hold...unless I'm loading it at the time.
I did know it was more than two shots in the magazine though.

I might be going out on a limb here...as I may be mistaken, but I seem to remember that the earliest solid frame 1897's sometimes do have a bit longer tube and hold one more round than their later solid and take down counterparts- if my memory serves me.
Old March 22, 2010, 07:15 AM   #35
Delmar

Actually a lot of the adds for 1897s say 4 +1
Perhaps they are not all the same?
Old March 22, 2010, 07:39 PM   #36
tater134

My 97 is 5+1 but you can almost get a 6th shell in the tube.
Old March 22, 2010, 10:50 PM   #37
Hawg

Clip three coils off the mag spring and you can. 97's were originally chambered for 2 1/2 inch shells.
Old March 23, 2010, 01:24 PM   #38
tater134

Thanks for the tip.I had thought about cutting the spring down but never got around to it.
Old April 1, 2010, 09:08 PM   #39
Delmar

I have a chance to buy a stevens SxS for $150. The gun is in good shape. What do you think?
Old April 2, 2010, 05:13 AM   #40
Hawg

If it's in good shape jump on it.