The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 29, 2008, 11:40 AM   #1
mtlucas0311

Match grade AR 15 upper, recomendations?

I'm going to buy a match grade upper for a lower I already have. I'm primarily interested in service rifle competition and would like a rifle that is versitile enough to shoot several diferent matches (CMP, Ball, etc.). For example, when I shoot bullseye pistol, I shoot a 70 series colt 1911 Ball gun w/o optics so I can use it for centerfire, .45, as well as the Distinguished matches. I know it's not the best way to shoot competitive scores and climb the ranks to High Master, but I really just compete against myself and don't get to wrapped up in class standing. Ken O recomended White Oak Precision which I am really impressed with after looking at his website (thanks Ken); any other recomendations for shops or smiths who have a big following down at Perry?
Old August 29, 2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Casimer

The WOA service rifle upper is very popular, so is Compass Lake's. But frankly you'd probably be fine with a RRA upper. You'll likely shoot-out your first barrel before you make high master
Old August 31, 2008, 01:14 PM   #3
kraigwy

I think you'll find White Oak at the top of the heap in regards to Match Uppers

I tried mine at a 1000 yard match, I went down 4 revolutions on the front sight using my 600 zero on the rear sight, My first sighter was in the 10 ring.

That was with the service rifle Upper, my next will be a Race gun with the WOA upper set up.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 31, 2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Tim R

I have 2 of John's service rifle uppers from WOP. If I hit anything other than a X, it's my fault. John does have a good following at Perry.
Old September 1, 2008, 09:50 AM   #5
mtlucas0311

Thanks a lot for the info guys, looks like I'll be making a phone call tomorrow. Now that I've ironed out who I'll be calling, I need to know what to order! I see most the NM rifles have stainless barrels, when I had my PPC gun redone (Sandy at Virginia Gun Works, FINE job) I was told that a stainless barrel is softer than the high carbon steel barrel (4140?) and would have a shorter life. This in mind, I was leaning towards the high carbon steel barrel from Krieger. Is there some advantage to stainless that I'm not aware of? Any other recomendations for the upper I should (or will have to) consider?
Old September 2, 2008, 10:06 PM   #6
Ken O

It looks like you decided on the WOA (White Oak Armory), call and ask any questions, he will guide you along. I would suggest just going with his baseline barrel the first time, its a Wilson and shoots real well. Shoot that barrel out and then you could decide if you want to go with a prenium barrel when you rebarrel.

I don't think you could go wrong with his stuff.
Old September 5, 2008, 05:41 PM   #7
mtlucas0311

Well, I did it. I called up John today and ordered a WOA upper. As much as I had my heart set on the high carbon steel Krieger barrel, parkerized finish, in the pre ban configuration (the traditional A2 look), I went with his recomendation (and many of yours) to get the WOA upper with the rear sight modification and stainless WOA barrel. He said to shoot it out and save the $200 for more rounds (like you guys did). I figured that I always wish the guys at work would listen to me about gear and fundamentals when they start shooting, so I better practice what I preach (it took A LOT of self control). Thanks for all the advice! Ken O, hopefully I'll see you at a local or regional match next spring.
Old September 5, 2008, 08:42 PM   #8
Ken O

Sound good! John is always at the top of the list at Camp Perry and has several state championships, so he knows what works.

I also always get the pre-ban barrels when I re-barrel, it just doesn't look right without the flashhider. you should get around 3000 rounds out of that barrel. I was going though a barrel a year, but now I use bolt guns for the prone matches, so I'm hoping to get a couple years out of a barrel. Keep a barrel log of how many shots so you know where you stand. Ken Orris