The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 14, 2015, 04:10 PM   #26
g.willikers

There's lots more courses of fire in the NRA Action Pistol rule book than just the falling plates and the mover.
There's no need to use the same ones over and over.
It's only the mover that costs a lot and there's really no need to have it.
The falling plates is the most entertaining and they are not hard to make, without spending a fortune.
There's even an alternate version using paper targets.
The biggest obstacle to experience an AP match is mostly the lack of them.
Not that many currently active action style match competitors probably have ever had the opportunity to even try one.
It will probably take another organization adopting the game for it to gain any traction, though.
And they could modify it to suit the modern age.
For guys like me and kraigwy, and all the other aging but still active folks, it's a game that can extend our match days.
Old August 14, 2015, 04:44 PM   #27
Jim Watson

Shooting a revolver in the action events is an easy win.
If you don't do well, so what? Nobody expected you to.
If you DO do well, you have amazed the run of the mill plastic plunker.
Old August 19, 2015, 11:10 AM   #28
tedbeau

35 yards is the maximum distance allowed in IDPA for a standards (skill) stage.

The maximum for a scenario stage is 25 yards.
Old August 19, 2015, 11:33 AM   #29
tedbeau

Quote:
I shoot those action games. IDPA, USPSA etc. When I look at the results I'm at the top of the list when it comes to hit factor.

Then they add time. that always puts me in the bottom half. I"m 68 with COPD and I just cant compete in the speed department. I cant load as fast as most.

I hate to say this but if that's all I was gonna shoot, I'd work on speed above all else.
I'm 56 years old and overweight. I am never going to outrun the young guys on the stage.

I also compete against myself (kind of). Until IDPA came out with the new CCP division my gun put me at a disadvantage because I was shooting a Glock 27 (40 caliber sub-compact) in the SSP division. That meant that I was giving up an inch or more in barrel length/site radius, 7 ounces in recoil absorbing weight, and a half an inch and one finger on the grip. I was also shooting using factory full power ammo which is quite a handful in a sub-compact.

I shot (3) tier 2 matches like that, with my goal being to not finish last in my division. (The very first match I ever shot including club matches was the Michigan State match.) I managed to stay off the bottom of the list so I was quite happy and hooked on IDPA.

I still am shooting the 27, but now I reload my ammo to reduce recoil a little and save cost, I also bought ten round mags to give me three fingers on the grip. The new CCP division means I don't have to shoot against the largest guns but my 27 is still shorter and lighter than the Glock 19 and 23 that fit the CCP division.

Go out, have fun, try your best, be happy when you get the down zero.

Last edited by tedbeau; August 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old September 15, 2015, 10:49 AM   #30
Chainsaw.

IDPA was built around the idea of EDC gear. That means stock guns. If youve been practicing for 9 months you are waiting to long, GO HAVE FUN!
Dont try to compete your first few matches, just work on safe handling and keep the instructions of each stage in your mind so you get clean shoots with no proceedurals.
Old September 15, 2015, 10:55 AM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

Shooting a revolver at IDPA is fun. I came in second after a national champion.

Oh, only two people were shooting revolvers that day.

IDPA does have the risk of moving away from carry guns - very few really carry Glock 34s but they are popular. The new cateories like CCP are attempts to move that back. However, the magazine and round limits make little sense.
Old September 15, 2015, 03:15 PM   #32
jmorris

Speed in which you can move and shoot decently is more important than most accurate. Unless you want the most accurate award instead of division champion.
Old September 15, 2015, 04:49 PM   #33
MarkCO

Quote:
You are ready to go. You don't need 9 months of practice for most IDPA stages. Get out there!
Yep

When I shot IDPA, I was typically in the top 2 or 3 at local matches and top 10 at state matches. I also typically had less points down and a raw time that was slower than most of my closest competitors. Was 6th at KS state one year and 6 points down in a match that had about 250 rounds. IDPA tends to reward accuracy over speed. But you still need to move quick.

Last edited by MarkCO; September 15, 2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old September 16, 2015, 06:55 AM   #34
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCO
IDPA tends to reward accuracy over speed.
Compared to USPSA, IDPA scoring places a bit more emphasis on accuracy, but IDPA still rewards the best balance of accuracy and speed. As jmorris suggested, the top shooters at big matches are among the more accurate, but the most accurate shooter rarely wins.

IME, the best balance - the sweet spot - is when time added from points down is roughly 8 - 12% of your raw time (with no other time added).
Old September 16, 2015, 08:59 AM   #35
MarkCO

Shooting Minor in USPSA ends up being about the same balance as IDPA. But yes, agree MrBorland.
Old September 16, 2015, 10:16 AM   #36
1-DAB

hmmm...never thought about it that way, 8-12% of your score from points down

last match: total time 55.70 seconds (3 stages), 14 points down=7 seconds

7/55.70=12.57%. most accurate was 13 points down for the day, and he went slower.

8 points down was from a partly missed drop turner, one exposure, only hit it once in the -3 area, so -5 for the miss.
Old September 16, 2015, 10:25 AM   #37
zincwarrior

Quote:
However, the magazine and round limits make little sense.
The round limits are in line with a certain state that is prone to earthquakes. I believe the intent was to have one standard nationwide.

I like it myself as it cuts out an additional racegun variable. Everyone is the same.
Old September 16, 2015, 10:47 AM   #38
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-DAB
hmmm...never thought about it that way, 8-12% of your score from points down
I think it's a useful rule of thumb. From what I've seen, the best scores will come in at the lower half of that range, though I have seen a shooter occasionally do well at the upper end. Much beyond that, though, is too many, and is a good sign the shooter's shooting beyond their control. Regular HNTs and FNs are another good indicator.

BTW, out of curiosity, I checked the scores of our last match - the top 4 shooters occupied positions 3, 4, 5 and 7 (of 45) on accuracy, with an average "% dropped" of 9.1% (±0.5%). The most accurate (2.4%) placed 16th overall.
Old September 16, 2015, 12:15 PM   #39
1-DAB

i came in 5th out of 14 overall. i was shooting CDP (MM), 1-4 were shooting ESP and SSP, all SS and EX

1- 23.67% SSP-EX
2- 18.2% ESP-SS
3- 19.31% SSP-EX
4- 19.16% SSP-SS

5(me)- 12.57% CDP-MM

so by this theory, they are hosing too much and should aim better.

most accurate was 8.45%, 9th
Old September 16, 2015, 01:51 PM   #40
MrBorland

Quote:
so by this theory, they are hosing too much and should aim better.
Well, yes. They might do well in their local match when they're up against other EXs and SSs who're hosing as well, but in bigger matches, they'll need to reign it in to do well enough for a match bump.

I'm curious how long they've been EX and SS? I've known numerous frustrated EXs and SS who've plateaued there, but don't seem to realize they continually shoot beyond their control. It's no coincidence that good Masters who win are a lot closer to the top of the accuracy standings than the bottom.
Old September 16, 2015, 02:26 PM   #41
1-DAB

top of my head, i don't know. i could look it up.

was reading Tactical Journal some months ago, coverage of the indoor nationals i think, and Vogel again won overall, and either was also most accurate, or one point behind. he's fast AND accurate. be interesting to see the results from the worlds later this week (they are shooting this week).

that made an impression on me. i'm an old fart (over 50), i don't move like a 27 year old anymore, but i can make a point of not missing, and go whatever speed i go. keep telling myself: see the sights on the target before pulling the trigger!

4th place had me by 6 seconds.
Old September 16, 2015, 02:38 PM   #42
MrBorland

Quote:
Vogel again won overall, and either was also most accurate, or one point behind
heh...I specifically had Vogel in mind when I wrote that the most accurate rarely wins. It does happen occasionally, but not often.

Congrats on your fine finish!
Old September 16, 2015, 03:26 PM   #43
1-DAB

many months ago, after i got my timer, and with the aid of my wonderful wife, i ran thru stage 3 of the classifier several times. going fast and then slower and aiming better....my scores were almost identical no matter how quickly i shot. well duh, instead of giving away points, slow down a bit and hit the zero! shot for record a few weeks later and improved my time on that stage by 10 seconds, mostly by shooting more accurately.

that little exercise helped convince me that shooting accurately is more doable than trying to hose targets and hoping for the best.

as i read elsewhere this week, the Marines define firepower as one hit, not 50 misses.
Old September 16, 2015, 05:25 PM   #44
Jim Watson

Quote:
Quote:
However, the magazine and round limits make little sense.

The round limits are in line with a certain state that is prone to earthquakes. I believe the intent was to have one standard nationwide.
Where were you children 20 years ago?
When IDPA was organized in 1996, the 1994-2004 AWB was in effect.
Ten round magazines for American Commoners was THE LAW.
Old September 16, 2015, 09:22 PM   #45
Glenn E. Meyer

Oh, memories - when the ban was coming, a guy offered me a dealers bag of Glock mags for about 5 bucks over list. Told me they would be in short supply. I said No and only bought two extra. When they went to 120 bucks, each, I would have made a nice profit.

Oh, well.