The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2011, 07:40 PM   #51
Technosavant

Quote:
go saiga 12ga 10rd or 12rd, its an overgrown ak, robust from what I read
I actually have one. It's fun to shoot, but quality is uneven, and as a semiauto, it just isn't usually going to be as reliable as a good pump gun. If push came to shove, I do believe I'd be grabbing my 870 Tactical, not my S12, even though they sit next to each other. The S12 isn't that easy to maneuver either.

The KSG looks like it will have more than enough mag capacity, will be very easy to maneuver, and as a pump gun (assuming they worked the bugs out), you should be able to run anything through it reliably, even ultralight loads.
Old January 6, 2011, 12:17 AM   #52
Southern Rebel

I have no doubt that Kel-tec started with "a clean sheet of paper" to engineer this gun, based on the new definition of "clean sheet of paper" provided by Ruger. I may just wait for Ruger to get out their clean sheet of paper (ie add a more sophisticated blueing job and add $50 to the price) and produce their refined product.
Old January 6, 2011, 05:40 PM   #53
psycho nut

I love it. Being left handed, things that are 'ambidextrous' always peak my curiosity. If I ever find one I'd get it. Same with their .308 too.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:28 PM   #54
Glenn E. Meyer

$800 - way too much. I got my tacky 1300 for $239 a few years ago. If you want to get the SD market - you have to come down.
Old January 7, 2011, 01:06 PM   #55
Delaware_Dan

I'm on the fence about this one. I have handled almost every Kel-Tec made (and I own a Sub 2000) and I'm not sure I would trust a Kel-Tec product to fire heavy 12 gauge loads without falling apart. It looks very interesting though. We will see...

-Bruce Lee
Old January 7, 2011, 01:57 PM   #56
NightSleeper

I normally don't go for 'tech-cool' but I'll probably get one, depending on the price. The design blows me away ... ok, that pun was deliberate this time.
Old January 7, 2011, 02:22 PM   #57
Mike Irwin
Staff

I agree $800 is going to put me out of the market.

I don't really care about all the tactical mounting points on the thing, they'll never be used.

I'm VERY interested in the feeding system, the magazine capacity, and the fact that it's a bullpup.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 7, 2011, 07:58 PM   #58
PT-92

I love Kel-Tec as my main CCW is a P-11 and I also have two Sub-2000's. All great values for the dollar and that is the main reason I buy anything as money is real tight 'nowadays'.

So personally speaking, I would only purchase the KT Shotgun if it were in the $500 ballpark and it would be mostly for collection/novelty purposes more than anything else as my Saiga 12 and Remington 1187 Police shotguns are my go-to SHTF weapons.

-Cheers
Old January 7, 2011, 08:35 PM   #59
kristop64089

I like it for it's uniqueness, and portable size (relatively speaking). I'll probably get one, for S-N-G's. I just hope it's more durable than my other Kel-Tecs
Old January 8, 2011, 12:13 AM   #60
Cruncher Block

Wow, not to go too offtopic but the discussion thread on the linked cheaperthandirt site is

And the suggestion to load one side with buck and the other with less-lethal strikes me as rather ill-advised.
Old January 8, 2011, 12:34 AM   #61
Rampant_Colt

Looks like the perfect gun for the video game, AirSoft, paintball and mall-ninja clique.. :barf:
Old January 8, 2011, 12:36 PM   #62
Technosavant

Quote:
And the suggestion to load one side with buck and the other with less-lethal strikes me as rather ill-advised.
That's just a stupid idea. Less lethal rounds for regular folks are ill advised at the best of times, even with a shotgun dedicated to them and readily identifiable (those bright orange furniture sets exist for this reason), but mixing them in the same gun is a way to get dead or in jail. If you're justified in using a firearm at all, you're justified in using real loads.

I can understand keeping slugs and buckshot loaded, but both of those are fully lethal loads- if you pick the wrong one, the only difference is the size and number of holes, not somebody going to the morgue.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:08 AM   #63
pelo801

Quote:
"Guess what's coming your way next".
i don't care what anyone says, i just can't wait to play this game. i want one. but $800 will be way too much. i would say up to $500, and that would still be pushing it.
and on a small side note, to defend the saiga. i have the .410 version, and have never had a reliability issue. never.
Old January 10, 2011, 04:17 PM   #64
jfruser

* Shortest length possible without NFA taxes & paperwork.
* 14 round capacity.
* Ambi operation.

The only "feature" I might not like is the inability to point it like a regular shotgun, given pistol grip and super short sight radius due to bullpup config.

I think a quality reflex sight would cure that, though.

It is 4+" shorter than my Cop-(folding) stocked Rem 870 with 18" bbl...when my 870 is folded!

If it is reliable, this would be a terrific HD or truck/trunk gun.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:21 AM   #65
Falcon642

MSRP $880

Its being reported at www.slickguns.com and at the Kel Tec forums that the MSRP will be $880.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...num=1294097299

http://slickguns.com/product/kel-tec...pump-shotgun-0

Too rich for my blood.
Old January 13, 2011, 09:34 AM   #66
egor20

$880.00!!!!

As Kramer said on Seinfeld "I'm Out"

Hope you're listening Kel-Tec

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 13, 2011, 10:42 AM   #67
UniversalFrost

MSRP and actual on the shelf prices are 2 different things.

buds and others will be listing these for much less.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old January 13, 2011, 11:02 AM   #68
Technosavant

MSRP and street are different, but $880 is a rather rich price for a pump, even for starters. It is indeed different, it indeed has some unique features, but it's going to need to be all kinds of awesome at that price.

You don't see heavy discounting unless it just doesn't sell- this thing won't be going for $500. I'd be surprised if it sells for any less than $700, more likely $750. That's a lot for an unproven design, especially when the competition (shotguns like the Mossberg 590 or Remington 870 Tactical or Police models) can be easily had for way less.
Old January 13, 2011, 01:23 PM   #69
publius

Call me crazy, but I could see it being useful in trailing a deer that has been hit. I often use a shotgun tracking in case I jump the crippled deer at close range. Having the option of a slug with just the switch of a lever would be good for farther shots. This is assuming someone gave me one of these things. I don't see it's possible usefulness justify buying one.

On second thought, this is a silly idea, I was just looking for a practical use for the thing.
Old January 13, 2011, 07:13 PM   #70
KevininPa

That Price is.......

.........too rich for my blood.
Old January 13, 2011, 07:52 PM   #71
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Full Disclosure......

I may have had some input on this. I was contacted maybe 12 years ago by someone wanting to build a pure D fighting shotgun. What I suggested looked LOTS like this.

Of course, they could have done this totally independently. Great minds move in similar paths.[/sarcasm]....

A couple things.....

14 rounds of 12 gauge ammo will weigh a bit over 3 lbs. While this K gun is short, it will not be a featherweight.

Every bullpup I've shot(Model 10B, Mossberg 500,Steyr AUG, and that Bushmaster) had an egregious trigger. Unless Keltec has done its homework, all the neat features of this will come to naught.

The front sight needs to be at the muzzle to maximize that short sight radius.

As for choke tubes, a set that includes one built into a suppressor makes a lot of sense.

I'd like to check one out, give it the same kind of T&E I gave that Saiga a year back on THR.

But at the price of at least TWO 870s and a pallet of 00, it will have to wait.....
Old January 14, 2011, 01:02 AM   #72
OcelotZ3

I just bought a brand-new 870 for $230 at Christmas, so the price is closer to 3 of those.
Old January 14, 2011, 06:27 PM   #73
nefprotector

But hardly anybody actually charges MSRP. Most shops atleast knock of about $50-$100. maybe more.
Old January 14, 2011, 06:36 PM   #74
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Knock off 20% (more than gracious) and it still comes in at about $704 or so...

Too rich for my redneck utilitarian tastes... Neato cool gizmo but I would rather buy a nice .30-06 for 'yote huntin'...

Brent
Old January 14, 2011, 09:02 PM   #75
Technosavant

Quote:
Knock off 20% (more than gracious) and it still comes in at about $704 or so...
Exactly. While not many sell at MSRP, I'd *really* like to know which shop sells the new and innovative guns at a 50% discount. Just. Doesn't. Happen.

At most you'll be seeing a 20% price break, more likely 10% at first. You're still at $700-800 from a $880 MSRP, and that's still no small amount of money.