The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 10, 2008, 08:30 AM   #1
nra_guns_winner

Big Kansas Deer (2008 Bow Season)

Why does someone else always get the big boys. Do I need to take up bow hunting? Maybe that early start before all of us trigger happy hunters take to the woods is what I need. A friend of mine sent these pictures to me, I just thought I'd share the Jealousy that I feel with you guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Bigger-1.jpeg (61.7 KB, 368 views)
File Type: jpeg Bigger-3.jpeg (70.2 KB, 318 views)
Old November 10, 2008, 09:29 AM   #2
jdscholer

My wife, bg, and I have finally started the bow huntin thing and are liking it. Haven't killed anything yet, but its been close - and exciting. We are primarily after elk, and this year I called three bulls within range. Still couldn't get a shot.
I see pictures like that buck and think HOLY SH--MOKES. Maybe us someday.
What we like about archery, is ya don't have the multitudes of bubbas rippin up and down the roads in p-ups and atvs doing and acting like what makes us hunters look bad. I mean no offense to anyone, except to those who deserve it. I don't mean to go this direction, allI want to say is that bow huntin is really fun - and quiet. If gettin within 20 or 30 yards of a buck like that fires your rockets, ya might want to try it. jd
Old November 10, 2008, 06:05 PM   #3
12GaugeShuggoth

Gotta agree with jd's response. There's definitely something unique to bow hunting that makes it more enjoyable for me. Of course I love being the first person in the family to take a buck with a bow Saw another one this morning while in the stand, but let him keep walking; hopefully in a few more years he'll still be around and I can get another chance.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old November 10, 2008, 08:12 PM   #4
bclark1

Holy cow - or deer! Hopefully I'll see one like that alive some day. Got as close as I've ever been to a buck this weekend - jumped him in a swamp. The kicker is I never even saw him. Grunt grunt, splash splash splash, and before I could get out of the tall stuff he was long gone. Found some good sign at least so we'll see what happens in early December... I'd love to get into archery but I just don't have the time right now
Old November 10, 2008, 09:17 PM   #5
jimbo_4

Archery is the only way I hunt deer..... Although, it's not for any purist reason, I don't have a shotgun, and can't justify to myself spending that kind of money for a gun I will only use two weeks out of the year. It sure is quiet though, and the trill of letting an arrow fly is far more exhilarating than it is with a gun. It does require more patience though. If you're thinking of getting into bow hunting, don't think..... just do it, get the bow, get it sized up for yourself and you'll never regret it! It WILL be more exciting for you than gun! Only thing I'll say is, practice as much as you can before you go out, it sucks when one gets away on you.