The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 11, 2012, 03:46 PM   #26
mykeal

Quote:
you need several clubs to play golf
You don't need several clubs to play golf. You do need several specialized clubs to play golf WELL, or COMPETITIVELY, but there's no minimum number of clubs required just to go out and play and have fun (there is a maximum, interestingly). It's entirely possible, and I've done it, to play a full round of 18 holes with just one club.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Zekest Crowe

To play golf the way I do, you need a lot of balls.
Old July 11, 2012, 04:22 PM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
To play golf the way I do, you need a lot of balls.
To play golf the way I do you need a lot of shotgun shells.
Old July 11, 2012, 07:04 PM   #29
Crunchy Frog

I've been shooting cowboy in a SASS affiliated club for a little over two years. I've shot or attended matches in a couple of other area clubs.

ZVP, I take you at your word about the treatment you received. All I can do is (1) echo other replies that whatever rules that club was applying are NOT the SASS rules; and (2) confirm that the reception you were given, as a new shooter, is 180 degrees removed from the way it is done in my home club, in every club I have visited, and in every club i have heard about.

There are other organizations with their own rules. NCOWS, for example, puts more emphasis on period correct clothing and equipment but from the reports I have gotten from friends who shoot NCOWS matches, I don't think what you experienced is representative of that fine organization.

I have been involved in the shooting sports since I was a college student. I have shot IPSC, Steel Challenge, IDPA, trap, skeet, and sporting clays and met good folks in every discipline. I generally find shooting enthusiasts to be good people.

With that said, I received a particularly warm welcome in cowboy shooting. I believe most clubs that are healthy and growing clubs realize that they need to be welcoming to new shooters. Most of them step up.

ZVP experienced something else. I would suggest that he not allow that experience to put him off cowboy shooting, and that no one else reading his story assume that it is representative of how cowboy action shooters behave. It is not.

As for golf, I also require many balls. And if you think cowboy shooting is expensive try joining a country club.
Old July 12, 2012, 08:38 AM   #30
Noz

"SG and others I offended,
Please accept my apology but I DID apply and got the rules hammered into my head BEFORE even firing a shot! It was hell to get approved to my first shoot!
I LOVE the Old West and CAS but some Clubs really enforce the rules and some Clubs are real sloppy with them!I am handicapped and need to wear special footwear. I HAD go thru a very stringent review in order to prove that myfootwear was necessary, couldn;t be adapted to a more "Western" look, and would not hinder my shooting.
Once I got my shoes approved, I went through the Clothing test, My club har to approve all my activity clothing to ensure that there were no snaps or Zippers that weren't available in the old west!
Passing that test, I then needed to have my holsters approved Styrong Side R/H and a 20 degree Crossdraw. Though my gear was deemed "cheap", it passed.
Next came the guns a Borrowed Conversion cylinder for my Remington and my trusty Vaquero I had to borrow a Marlin and a double Shotgun.
Games day:
Showing up I was nearly stripsearched to re-approve my clothing, had to re-address the shoe topic (had the Club President not been there to vouch for my shoes, I would have been disqualified). I had to be measured and demonstrate the function of my "Cheap"Crossdraw and though the box said it was a 20 degree cant, one of the officals wouldn't buy it... Again the President passed my holster.
The questions came up of my using 2 calibers .38 Special and .45 Colt. My borrowed rifle was called too slow and the hammerless shotgun got much scrutiny concerning it's authentic appearance?
All in all the experience was very demeaning and difficult, filled with too much scruitny over the most basic points of adherance to the rules and the Cheap Holsters were barely accepted by the officals.
So let it not be said I know not what I have spoken as I lived it and though YOUR Club may not adhere as strictly to the RUle Book, soe Clubs take it verbatum and enforce it.
Far as the CAS-vs-3 Gun?
3 Gun is cheaper to gear-up for, the rules are more broad, The Pistols are generally cheap as an Italian revolver and you only need one! The Rifle and Shotgun are about the same Cost as a competition 'Lever Action and a '97, and there is no clothing requirement other than closed toe shoes.
Do I want to see 3 Gun beat Cas? Hell NO! I want Cas to lighten-up and let beginner shooters enter individual stage events and not be required to do the whole 3 gun thing! One plastic Holster and nylon belt, one Mag holder. One Pistol and 3 Mags. One Stock AR and one used Semi-auto Shotgun.
To be compeditive just like in CAS, the sky is the limit for spending money!
In the end you still need to pratice to be good!
What would be wrong with a single Revolver only stage? You could shoot it and have a lot of fun on it by itself! You'd get more entry fees and eventually more Club members. Bottom line, more cash for the Club!
I am very Pro CAS, it just needs to wake-up and see where it's missing out getting new shooters involved!
Personally, I gave-up and just go as a spectator now. I can't keep up with the rising costs of clothing and gear.
So all who I may have teed-off, please accept this explaination and see where I have come from...
ZVP"

Where in the world are you?

That is easily the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. Even the local NCOWS are not a strict as these yard birds.
Look around and find a true SASS club. This isn't one.