The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 5, 2013, 11:11 AM   #1
ThomasT

What Did I Buy?

My neice's boyfriend had an AK for sale and asked if I wanted to see it. I did and bought the gun. I have never shot an AK and really don't know anything about them. This one says its an "I.D.E (USA) Southfield MI". It has three 5 round mags with it.

So what did I get? I paid $200 for it. He says he has a carrying case for it and 500 rounds of ammo that he will sell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-001S (2).JPG (26.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-002S.JPG (32.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-004S.JPG (28.4 KB, 149 views)
Old October 5, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Pahoo

Chinese AK clone

First off, you did rather well and if the rest of the material is in this spriit, buy it. "I.D.E (USA) Southfield MI", is the importer and I suspect, it is a Polytech, made in China. ....
At that price, I hope it's not hot. ....

Keep looking for other information to confirm it's origin. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 5, 2013, 11:31 AM   #3
ThomasT

Pahoo my neice just got a felony conviction with parol and they cannot have any guns around the house. So its not hot. He didn't want to sell it but has no choice. He also has a Taurus Millenium Pro in 40 cal he wants $200 for. I plan on buying that one also.

But thanks for the help. I will most likely sell the gun. For a profit. I am guessing that regular AK mags will fit it? The 5 rounders look like very well made mags. It just needs a big 30 rounder sticking out the bottom to look right.
Old October 5, 2013, 11:39 AM   #4
Pahoo

Best to you and yours !!

Quote:
He didn't want to sell it but has no choice.
My apologies and meant no disrespect. I too have been in similar situations and it's heartbreaking to see our kids, get into these kinds of trouble. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old October 5, 2013, 11:50 AM   #5
atlantadad

What Did I Buy?

Looks like a milled post ban Norinco or Polytech. The receiver will be slanted so putting on a USA stock kit will run a few bucks from Ironwood.
Good deal for you. Should bring $600-800 on a resale if indeed Chinese. There will be stampings on the left side near the barrel trunion or on the bottom. A factory code such as 386 should also be visible.

Last edited by atlantadad; October 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old October 5, 2013, 11:51 AM   #6
ThomasT

Its no problem Pahoo. I never thought anything about what you wrote. I offered to let him store his guns at my house so he didn't have to sell. Frankly I think they need the money also. He is looking for work. Unsuccessfully.

I went and looked at the gun closer. It does say Norinco and made in China. I figured out how to remove the scope. Thats a neat scope base. You can remove the scope and it will go back to zero.

So I popped off the top cover and removed the bolt and and piston. If this gun has ever been fired accept at the factory I would be surprised. It is pristine on the inside. The milling marks on the rails are not worn at all. I don't like the thumbhole stock but I can live with it. I may have a keeper.
Old October 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7
ThomasT

Atlantadad it does have 386 on it. The serial # is 367xx. I had no idea it might be worth that much. I figured $350-400 tops. Hmmm.

I tried to google IRPNWOOD but couldn't find anything. Got a link?

Last edited by ThomasT; October 5, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old October 5, 2013, 12:25 PM   #8
ttarp

I think that was a typo, Ironwood is what your looking for. Here's a link.

http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html

Oh and congrats on a nice rifle.
Old October 5, 2013, 02:23 PM   #9
ThomasT

Thanks ttarp. I am going to wait till after I have fired the rifle before I invest any more money in it. I may not like it. I sure like my SKS rifles though.
Old October 7, 2013, 08:49 PM   #10
k511

of your a fan of the SKS....your going to love the AK
Old October 7, 2013, 10:32 PM   #11
ThomasT

k511 I suspct you are correct. I have looked it over quite a bit and am impressed with how simple the design is. And it is brute tough. No wonder so many people want them for a SHTF rifle.

I have been looking on GB for a 30 round mag. Lots of mags for sale but which are the best? I have said before this gun is a new direction for me. I suspect like all magazine fed guns there are good mags and mags to run away from. Any intel would be appreciated from you AK guys "in the know".
Old October 8, 2013, 03:01 AM   #12
Tejicano

Last edited by Tejicano; October 10, 2013 at 04:07 AM.
Old October 8, 2013, 06:30 AM   #13
jehu

It's a Mak90!
Old October 8, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
ThomasT

Jehu you are correct. It says Mak 90 right on the side of the reciever.

The 3 five round mags it came with are stamped "China". They are very well made with steel feed lips and steel latches welded to the stamped mag body. So I will look for china marked mags.

I did look on the Ironwood link the other poster posted and they do have a stock set for my rifle. Its $175 IIRC. I am not sure I am ready to spend that much on it just yet. Thats lotsa Moola for some small pieces of wood.

Last edited by ThomasT; October 8, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:24 AM   #15
Fishbed77

Quote:
You might like to know that the milled receiver on that AK is much better than the usual stamped receiver and relatively rare. It makes a much more accurate rifle because the usual stamped receivers can flex and twist.
Lots of internet misinformation in just two sentences.

I agree with the other folks though - that is a great AK for a great price!
Old October 8, 2013, 09:47 PM   #16
ThomasT

Fishbed77 I would tend to agree that a milled receiver should at least in theory be more accurate than a stamped receiver. But when shooting cheap surplus ammo theories can go right out the window.

Quote:
The 3 five round mags it came with are stamped "China". They are very well made with steel feed lips and steel latches welded to the stamped mag body. So I will look for china marked mags.
Well I just showed my ignorance. All the mags I have looked at have the welded on feed lips and mag catches. I am used to looking at AR and Mini-14 mags with the feed lips being part of the stamped body. Oh well, I told you I have never had one of these. But I'm learning. And no "China" marked 30 rounders on GB. I may have to get some Romanian or other branded mags.
Old October 8, 2013, 10:52 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

Just curious, if It is a post ban is It a single stack receiver therefor not being able to accept 30 round mags?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 9, 2013, 07:34 AM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
I would tend to agree that a milled receiver should at least in theory be more accurate than a stamped receiver.
And yet stamped-receiver Saigas are among the most accurate of AKs. Bottom line is that there are so many variables involved, and so many varieties of AKs available, that it's impossible to say milled receivers are "better" or "more accurate" than stamped.
Old October 9, 2013, 07:44 AM   #19
Pilot

Shoot it a bit. You may want to keep it. These are not available anymore as they've been restricted for years. It's value will NOT decrease. These are well made AK clones, and stock sets can be found for less money that what you've initially seen. Just make sure to comply with 922r if you do swap furniture.
Old October 9, 2013, 10:27 AM   #20
ThomasT

Quote:
Just curious, if It is a post ban is It a single stack receiver therefor not being able to accept 30 round mags?
The 5 round mags are double stacked so I guess it will take normal hi cap mags as well.

Quote:
These are well made AK clones, and stock sets can be found for less money that what you've initially seen. Just make sure to comply with 922r if you do swap furniture.
I am not familiar with the 922r requierments. It has no bayonet lug, no cleaning rod setup. and a cheaper stock set would be nice. It does have the angled receiver. I had it apart again last night and checked.

And I do plan on shooting it before I make a decision about selling it.
Old October 9, 2013, 10:40 AM   #21
seanc

These guys have Chinese 30 rounders (though they are mixed with Euro style and there is a price premium for being "Chinese"):

http://www.rguns.net/
Old October 9, 2013, 10:42 AM   #22
seanc

Also, definitely try shooting before you make any changes. I was surprised how much I liked the thumb hole stock on one of my VEPR AKs.

Last edited by seanc; October 9, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old October 9, 2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Drhc116

For $200.00 I would definitely keep a milled MAK 90. They are nice rifles and some of the finest AKMs ever imported.
Old October 9, 2013, 09:20 PM   #24
ThomasT

Seanc thanks for the link. I ordered two of the Chinese 30 round mags. At $20 each thats not bad for how well made these are. And the thumbhole stock is growing on me.

I plan on burning up some ammo in this gun. The more I handle it the more impressed I am with it. Thankfully I stocked up on ammo before the panic and stupidity hit.
Old October 10, 2013, 06:37 AM   #25
jehu

The Chinese AK's were the finest ever imported into this country IMO. The Mak90 is not a clone, it is a 100% Chinese AK only missing the threaded BBL. and a Bayonet lug. It also has the very ugly thumbhole stock. These are really the only differances between it being a Polytech Legend.922r deals with the import ban of 1989, google it and educate yourself on turning your Mak back to AK original configuration.