The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 17, 2010, 10:44 PM   #1
sakeneko

Reviews/Recommendations: Car Lockboxes or Safes

I'm researching the possibility of installing a lockbox or safe on the car for our carry guns (when we are visiting a place where we can't carry) and/or other small valuables. The car is a small SUV (Subaru Forester), so we don't have a trunk. I therefore want a lockbox that can be bolted or welded to the car frame somewhere inconspicuous.

Does anybody here have any recommendations, warnings, advice, whatever?

Thanks!
Old January 18, 2010, 06:59 AM   #2
swinokur

How many pistols do you plan on locking up? I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I purchased a Gunvault Microvault for. I did not bolt it down but did use the included security cable to secure it around a seat bracket. The Microvault can hold 2 of my pistols. A full size Kimber and a G30. I put the mags elsewhere. It can be bolted down it has mounting holes.

The thing that sold me on this was I can uncable the Microvault and use it for air travel as well.

Another place to look is Center of Mass

They sell the Gunvault Micro as well.
Old January 18, 2010, 11:19 AM   #3
sakeneko

I expect we'd be wanting to lock up only our carry guns, so two. That sounds like a reasonable solution. Do you know if the Microvault is sold through retailers or not? I'd really like to see one and verify that it will fit our pistols and the car before I plunk down a couple hundred dollars. :-)
Old January 18, 2010, 01:07 PM   #4
swinokur

I bought mine directly from Gunvault over the web but I think i've seen them at my local fun shop. I'd bet Gander Mountain, Bass Pro or Dicks Sporting Goods may have them. Or Cabelas if you have a retail outlet near you.

As I said, when I've traveled the Microvault accommodated my G22 and G30 at the same time. I also put my 5" Kimber and a G30 in there together. No room for extra mags if you do this however.

The interior dimensions are 10 3/4" x 6 1/2" x 2" if that helps

Small pix attached

Last edited by swinokur; July 12, 2012 at 05:53 PM.