The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2002, 04:59 PM   #1

Rifle primers in Pistol Cartridges ?

I recently bought a large lot of reloading components at a terrific price. Now I am trying to figure out what to do with this stuff.
Among the items are in excess of 15,000 small rifle primers. The only caliber I load that uses small rifle primers is .223 Rem. I load maybe 300 rounds a year for my two bolt actions. In the AR I shoot cheap stuff and don't pick up the brass. So, what the hell am I going to do with these primers ? What dire problem would arise if I used these in my .357 loads ? That would certainly solve the problem since I shoot a ton of small pistol primers.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old September 30, 2002, 05:42 PM   #2
Jim Watson

In the deep distant past, before Federal made a small pistol magnum primer, they recommended loading .357s with their small rifle primer. Many IPSC shooters use small rifle primers - I think the Remington 7 1/2 is popular - in their overloaded .38 Supers to delay primer cratering, extrusion, and piercing. So it can be done, but it will affect ignition. I would cut the load and sneak back up with an eye on velocity and casehead expansion. I would probably settle for a little lighter and slower load just to be sure.
Old September 30, 2002, 06:04 PM   #3
Ben Shepherd

The "original" 357 mag load was a nickle winchester case, 158 gr. SWC, small rifle primer and 15.8 grains of 2400. the idea was the rifle primer was stronger, to handle the high pressure level(40,000+ cpu).

WARNING: Do not use this load in a lightweight/weak gun.

I shoot these in nothing weaker than a GP100.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old September 30, 2002, 06:39 PM   #4
tonyz

I bought 1000 small rifle primers by mistake at a gun show. I used them in place of small pistol primers and they work without a problem in my 38/357's. I even used them in my 9MM loads.

Tony Z
Old September 30, 2002, 07:35 PM   #5
Jim Watson

They tried a number of things to improve ignition in magnums. About five years ago I picked up a clean, bright, nickel plated case headstamped "R-P 357 Magnum" with LARGE primer.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:00 PM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Yes you can use them in .357 cases BUT they are hotter than the Small pistol primers and they may be more difficult to ignite due to a stronger primer cup. Aside from that use them, just watch your load and start with the starting load listed.
Old September 30, 2002, 08:29 PM   #7
rick_reno

rifle primers in pistol cartridges

I use small rifle magnum in my FA 454. A local gun store was going out of business and had a box of 1000 for $4 - they'll last me awhile.