The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 26, 2015, 12:26 PM   #1
skizzums

High Marks for a CHEAP Scope

I was cleaning out my closet and found a scope made bu "Shooter's Edge" that I bought some months ago. I mounted it for a day, couldn't get it to hold zero, so shelved it for awhile, assumed something was loose or whatever, didn't think too hard about it. I figured I would have something to throw it on eventually. Threw it on my AR last week and went to the range.....horrible scope. nice and clear, loosey turrets, wouldn't hold zero for three shots and the front ring came off. still had the receipt, I paid 120$ for an 18x scope, so I knew it would suck, I just wanted it to hold zero for little targets not too far away. I had the receipt in box, so I attempted to take back to LGS, I didn't think they would take it back since I bought it last year. the owner was very apologetic, and asked if I wanted a full refund or a different scope or exchange for the same. I said, "recommend me a cheap scope that hold zero". he gave me a NikkoSterling 14x. had it out twice, does fantastic. little tough to get a super clear picture out past 150yards, but does pretty well. perfect for 100 and under, and it was 89 BUCKS!! put about 400 rounds of .223 and had a good time with it, I would def recommend. great plinking scope, decent relief, nice reticle. came with what appear to be decent rings, although I didn't use them. if your looking to save some bucks for a "decent" optic, I like this one

just barely fits...looks like its touchin in pic, but it isn't

100 yards, some still sighting in a little, just playing, off a bipod no rest
Old March 26, 2015, 01:40 PM   #2
madmo44mag

Scopes can be hit and miss.

I have a Leapers UTG 30mm AccuShot 4-16x44 mounted on a AR that has been outstanding. Has been mounted now 2 years with regular use and never had to re-set the zero. I even used the UTG mounts and rings that came with it.
I have a Tru Glow red dot mounted on another AR and it has been a great optic.

Both are cheap optics but have performed well.

I have spent big money on scopes and some have been problematic and other were great.

When it comes to optics ya never know till it is mounted and sent into the field how good a optic device you bought.

The world of optics manufacturing has come a long ways in the past 20 years but with any mass produced product you can always get a lemon or lime.
Old March 28, 2015, 05:42 AM   #3
Jack O'Conner

I've had very good luck with Simmons and Bushnell scopes. Both companies produce quality products for less than the others. This antelope doe was taken at approx. 275 yards using Simmons AETEC scope. Optics are quite good with no clarity or brightness concerns.

Jack

Old March 28, 2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Mobuck

A 14X scope for targets under 100 yards????????? Oh well, whatever.

I'm not a high $$ scope snob and most of mine are in the $100-200 range. Here's what I experienced this year. Back in the 90's BSA had some pretty nice economical scopes(the target models). I bought a couple and they worked well and held zero perfectly. Fast forward to 2014. I have one of the old BSA 4-12x40 scopes on an accurate .308HB that I use for shooting coyotes off a bait pile. It has been outside either in a pickup cab or outbuilding for the last 5 years. I noticed it becoming increasingly difficult to see the yoties in the early dawn. It appears the lens coatings have deteriorated over the years and now the scope is only usable during full daylight conditions.
The point is: although the cheap scopes look good, they may not hold that performance forever. I'm not faulting the old BSA, it's served me well for over 20 years while costing less than $50 dealer price and I'll bet $$ on it's zero anytime.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Damon555

Quote:
A 14X scope for targets under 100 yards????????? Oh well, whatever.
It's common to see 36X power scopes on rimfire rifles shooting targets at 50 yards. I use a Sightron SII 36X for load testing at 100 yards on a regular basis.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Damon555

skizzums....gotta love it when it works out like that huh? Nice shooting. I've had excellent luck with a couple Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x scopes that come in at around 100 bucks.
Old March 28, 2015, 05:18 PM   #7
Mobuck

It's common to see 36X power scopes on rimfire rifles shooting targets at 50 yards. I use a Sightron SII 36X for load testing at 100 yards on a regular basis.

Really? So, what can you see at 36X @ 50 yards that you can't see at 10X?
Old March 28, 2015, 07:47 PM   #8
Damon555

Quote:
Really? So, what can you see at 36X @ 50 yards that you can't see at 10X?
Your heartbeat
Old March 28, 2015, 08:24 PM   #9
WIN71

Heartbeat

I use a cheap $99.00 Simmons 24x bought in the early 80's for load work up on several rifles. I use the lower right corner of a black one inch square as an aiming point and the more power the easier to identify movement.
Old March 29, 2015, 10:25 AM   #10
DaleA

Way Back When the dedicated smallbore shooters (saying smallbore is soooooo much cooler than saying .22) pretty much all used Unertil 20X scopes shooting at 50 FEET.
Old March 29, 2015, 11:27 AM   #11
skizzums

I love my bushnell 9x with the multi-plex, but it covers a 1" circle even at 100 yards. my rifle can shoot under 100" at 100 yards. aim small, shoot small. what power scope would you use? what do you think benchrest shooters use at 100 yards? I can tell you always over 24x

I have never been group shooting and said "dang, I wish I had less magnification", and if I did, I can turn it down........not complicated
Old March 29, 2015, 12:32 PM   #12
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Scopes can be hit and miss.

I have a Leapers UTG 30mm AccuShot 4-16x44 mounted on a AR that has been outstanding. Has been mounted now 2 years with regular use and never had to re-set the zero. I even used the UTG mounts and rings that came with it.
I too, have had good luck with Leapers. Bought a 4-16X50 for my SAR-48HB on a hunch, to see if it warranted good glass, or was just a run-o-the-mill FAL. I firmly suspected the former and was not disappointed, or I wouldn't have even spent the 120 bucks for the Leapers. The rifle is amazingly accurate, even with milsurp, but it was the Leapers that impressed me most. Rather than spending money for a Nikon, the Leapers will stay in place til I AM disappointed. Stroke of great luck for a change and I recommend them highly, especially for experimentation.
Old March 29, 2015, 12:32 PM   #13
chris in va

Quote:
my rifle can shoot under 100" at 100 yards. aim small, shoot small.
Must be an AK.

I kid.
Old March 29, 2015, 12:43 PM   #14
skizzums

lol
Old March 29, 2015, 01:43 PM   #15
Damon555

The main problem with cheap glass is repeatability. Once you start cranking on those adjustment knobs many of the low end scope are not very good at tracking. My cheap scopes are treated as such....cheap scopes.....Once they are zeroed they are left alone unless they switch guns or barrels.

....but it sure is a good feeling when you get a cheapo that works as well as a much more expensive one!
Old March 29, 2015, 02:38 PM   #16
skizzums

I will not go nearly as far as saying this is as god as a 300$ or more scope. just that it is decent, the yardage focuses dead on to the yardage it's supposed to, it has nice clicks and doesn't get inasane;y loose at the bottom end like most cheapo's do and had "decent" eye" relief. no where in the clarity department of a moderately priced scope and tought o get the reticle ND the target clear together at about 200 yards plus. BUT, I think it's a dcent scope and feel like it should be priced close to 200 than les than 100. I prefer Bushnell's clarity over this one though. but this can get you in the higher end of usuable magnification for a bit less money.

looks they have been in the game for awhile and don't only sell cheapo's
http://www.nikkostirling.com/
Old March 29, 2015, 03:34 PM   #17
Mosin-Marauder

From a $44 Walmart Tasco and the mounting skill of a 15 year old.

William Tecumseh Sherman
Old March 29, 2015, 10:46 PM   #18
Fusion

I've had pretty good luck with cheap scopes as well. One of my favorite scopes for the money is the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 at Midway. The turrets aren't the best, but the glass is good, they hold zero, and seem durable. They are made in the Philippines. Simmons is my favorite cheap brand, but I've had good luck with some of the $30 Tasco's from Walmart as well.

Now that said, I've had some cheaper made in China scopes fail as well. Would I take these on an African safari? Probably not, but they are usually much better than open sights imo.
Old March 30, 2015, 09:28 AM   #19
BoogieMan

I had a Simmons 3-9x40 on my 760 30-06 from mid 80's to last year. Never had an issue I wanted a little more field of view. I also bought a BP Rifle that came with a token Konus 3-9x40 BDC. I am truly amazed at how good the Konus is. Like others said its hit or miss. I had a Weaver hand gun fail quickly on my 460xvr, replaced with Leupold.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 30, 2015, 10:01 AM   #20
precision_shooter

Nothing wrong with a cheap scope, if they hold zero...

Back when I was first getting into target rifles/shooting, I bought a Savage 12FV in .308. Mounted it in a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock and mounted a Barska 6-24x50 scope on it. The Barska was cheap and looked just like some of the higher priced scopes that I couldn't afford.

The glass was nothing to write home about, Blurry at higher magnifications. But that scope held zero the entire time I owned it and allowed me to shoot some very small 5-shot groups with the best measuring just over bullet diameter. Granted, I never did any dialing on the turrets. Just a set it and forget it for 100yd paper punching.

I no longer buy Barska scopes, mainly because i've spoiled myself to better optics with proven reliability of internals...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 30, 2015, 10:30 AM   #21
rickyrick

I like 2.5-4x maxfor 100yds or less. Any more magnification becomes to distracting for. Lol I can see my heartbeat in the reticle and muscle twitches...

I have had cheap scopes that work well, none have failed me. First scope I ever bought was a tasco 29.99... And it still works...
Old March 30, 2015, 12:42 PM   #22
98 220 swift

I have had good luck with the various simmons scopes for around $100 from midway. All have been very clear and durable. The only problems I have had with them is the zero changes with different magnifications. Not a big deal I use the 20 power for load devolpment and use the 6 power for hunting so I just make sure I sight my hunting load in on 6 power.