The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 15, 2015, 09:03 AM   #1
SBH

??? on RIFLE stocks

Sometime soon I am going to buy a Howa 1500 action , not sure of caliber just yet - maybe 270 or 308 or ???. My question is which stock design will transmit the least felt recoil ? I have had Weatherbys and have shot Ruger 77s in 338. I did not find the 338 to be objectionable. I do like thumbhole stocks, 40+ years ago I built a thumbhole 7mm Mag but don't remember how it felt. The rifle will see use in hunting and target. I do want wood. What opinions can ya'll give ? Thanks, Jerry
Old February 15, 2015, 09:07 AM   #2
precision_shooter

Weight and a good recoil pad will make the most difference. My Tikka t3 lite in .308 is 7lbs fully dressed. Not much fun to shoot from a bench for more than 5 shots, until I added a Limbsaver recoil pad. It still kicks like it did before, but I just don't feel it.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old February 15, 2015, 09:41 AM   #3
jmr40

The one that fits you best. Everyone has a different body shape, arm length, facial structure etc. Some find that a particular stock style is more comfortable for them, while others find the opposite. But as a rule anything with a lot of drop at the heel will cause more muzzle flip which most find uncomfortable. A modern hi-tech recoil pad does wonders on anything.

Generally the heavier the gun the less recoil and Howa's are the heaviest actions you can buy so no matter which stock on it, it will be heavier than average. But a trim lightweight rifle with a stock that fits well along with a GOOD recoil pad can be very comfortable.
Old February 15, 2015, 10:35 AM   #4
wogpotter

A combination of things.
Weight, Butt-plate material, drop of the stock, width of the stock, individual fit (length of pull) & so on.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 15, 2015, 10:41 AM   #5
SARuger

I agree, weight makes the most difference in felt recoil. My Ruger American .223 at 7# with 4x12-50 scope kicks harder than my Rem 700 .243 at 9# with 3x9-40 scope. Neither are bad but still noticeable.
Old February 16, 2015, 07:47 PM   #6
Bart B.

Most important for least amount of felt recoil is to have the bore axis as close to the butt plate center as possible. That reduces the amount of muzzle rise in recoil and there's less of a smack of stock to your head.

Straight stock comb to the stock heel; no drop at all. Cheek piece slants back and up and notched for bolt clearance. Length of pull short enough to let the butt plate fit as high in your shoulder as possible; that'll also reduce muzzle rise in recoil.

Ask a stock maker catering to dangerous, very large game hunting rifle folks. The best of them are worth listening to then taking their advise.

Google "hydraulic rifle recoil reducer" for one to be put in the buttstock.

What "target" types will you shoot at and from what position?

Last edited by Bart B.; February 16, 2015 at 07:56 PM.
Old February 17, 2015, 07:40 AM   #7
SBH

Bart, The target types will mostly be paper and inert objects 200 to 300 yds away on a far hill side. Maybe antelope and ELK when a permit is drawn. The position for the "target" shooting will be sitting with a rest of some sort . No formal shooting just for recreation. Weatherby seems to be the best stock to fit "the" criteria, I hope a Boyd's will. A custom stock may not be affordable. Other than my wanting a thumbhole stock a factory Weatherby is really the best way to go. I am aware of the cylinder that fits in the stock. Depending on caliber I may go that way. 7mm mag, 30-06 or bigger. Score Hi in Albuquerque may install them , I don't know. I need to do a bit more looking. Thanks for all the comments, Jerry
Old February 17, 2015, 10:59 PM   #8
KEYBEAR

Do not ever forget pitch in a stock . Pitch will be different for some people .
Old February 19, 2015, 11:17 AM   #9
Picher

I love the MKV Weatherby stock design, so much that when I fitted my first '06 Savage 110 with a semi-inletted Bishop stock, (around 1960), I made it to closely match the Weatherby design. Felt recoil seemed to be about 1/2 of what the original non-cheekpiece stock was.

Having a Monte-Carlo comb/cheekpiece slope somewhat downward, from near the butt toward the pistol grip, made a world of difference. As the rifle recoiled, there was no more cheek-slap.
Old February 19, 2015, 07:34 PM   #10
Paul B.

I have a Steyr Mauser actioned .308 Win. in a Lawson Mountaineer thumb hole stock. Total weight with Leupold compact 4X scope, nylon sling and a full magazine and one up the spout is 5 pound. It'll put three rounds into an inch before the soda straw barrel is too hot. Barrel is 18.5". Recoil isn't too bad but is noticeable from the bench.
Paul B.
Old February 19, 2015, 09:43 PM   #11
SBH

Paul, you say 5#, I'm hoping for 8.5+. I will go with a Boyd's thumbhole unless I can find better. Thanks for all the replies, Jerry
Old March 21, 2015, 09:07 PM   #12
jason.jardine72

Remington 700 I have two that came with beautiful stocks one was a bell and Carlson on a 300 pss contour 300 win mag all bedded in allunimum a 500 dollar stock on a 800 dollar gun and a 5R mill spec same barrel as the M24 M40 sniper rifle mines a 10th anniversary edition with a h.. S. Percission allunimum bedded kevlar stock 900 dollar stock on a 1300 dollar gun !!!! Savage also has factory McMillan h.s . persisicion and bell and Carlson on certain models they are almost giving these away 650 dollar mc millian on a 1000 dollar gun nice!!!
Old March 22, 2015, 10:44 PM   #13
jason.jardine72

I believe the felt feeling stocks on the weather by are h.s . persisicion stocks and you wouldn't have to pay to bed it they are allunimum pillar and block action bedded they also sell factory mags and bottom metal I love a thumb hole as well but the engineers incorporated a drop area where the thumb can sit like a pistol grip !!! I just though they all have a bargain basement that 650 McMillan might only be the price of a Boyds something to investigate