The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 1, 2010, 07:43 PM   #1
RedDelPaPa

Building a custom 243win. Advice requested

Hi all. New here, and planning a project of taking a Rem700 VSSF in 22-250 to a heavy barreled 243win, and wondering what all will need to be done. I think I've got the right action and bolt face for the job, but I'm wondering about any other clearance issues I might be overlooking. Follower, feed ramp, etc. I want all this to function like a factory rifle.

The barrel will likely be a 26" NBRSA taper from PAC-NOR, or the similar offering from Shilen. What's the best choice for groove count and twist? Should I send them a dummy round for throating the barrel? Or is it not worth the hassle? I have no plans of going to the extreme of having it tight necked either.

I'm thinking my most used bullets will be on the heavy varmint side. Say 75gn to 90gn target/varmint style bullets. With the barrel taper I've chosen, this rifle will not be packed around much. My whole idea behind this project was something with a little more poop and reach than a 22-250, but still pleasant and cheap to shoot, and mostly an accurate bench gun.

Advice for or against the 243win is welcome as well.

Thanks.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:13 PM   #2
zoomie

Look at the 115gr DTAC bullet if you want a reach-out-and-touch rifle. Pushing those hard will wear out a barrel faster than other options, though. Just make sure the throat and twist (1:8, 1:7) can handle it. Are you building yourself or using a smith?

http://www.6mmbr.com/243win.html
Old October 1, 2010, 11:32 PM   #3
RedDelPaPa

I will be doing everything but the head spacing. I have a smith friend that will handle the barrel shoulder turning and heavy aftermarket recoil lug milling if needed. My plan was to stay with the smaller/cheaper large varmint style bullets.
Old October 2, 2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Scorch

Should be a fairly straightforward conversion. New barrel and you're done. The magazine box should be the same.

PacNor makes a good barrel, you should be real happy with it. If you don't go with PacNor, look at McGowen or Badger. I am really fond of McGowen barrels, they shoot really well.

Take a look at Berger bullets for the weight range you are looking at. They sure fly nice.