The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 16, 2009, 08:05 PM   #1
smince

Alabama Members Regarding SBR's/SBS's

Since Alabama allows for MG's and Suppressors, but not SBR's and SBS's, here is a copy of a letter I drafted and sent to my State Senator and Rep.

Perhaps if enough support is generated we can institute a change. Since I have a Curio and Relics license, I decided to use that as a point, but feel free to tweak it as needed if you want to use it as an outline.
Quote:
As a registered voter of your district, and a Federally licensed collector of firearms, I would like to recommend the following for your consideration.

The State of Alabama allows for the possession of machineguns, suppressors (silencers), and other firearms classified as Any Other Weapon (AOW). These type of weapons are permitted Federally by the National Firearms Act of 1934. To possess these, a $200 transfer tax is paid to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). After an extensive background check and a sign-off by the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your county, the transaction is allowed to take place.

Due to Alabama law as written, the possession of Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are prohibited except by Law Enforcement officers in the performance of their duties. The law as written is listed below:

Section 13A-11-63
Possession, sale, etc., of short-barreled rifle or short-barreled shotgun; applicability of section.

(a) A person who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun is guilty of a Class C felony.

(b) This section does not apply to a peace officer who possesses, obtains, receives, sells, or uses a short-barreled rifle or a short-barreled shotgun in the course of or in connection with his official duties.
(Acts 1982, No. 82-430, ยง2.)

Sir, I would submit to you that there are certain desirable firearms in this class that we citizens, even as licensed collectors, are not allowed to possess due to this law. I would also submit that NFA registered firearms have very rarely been used in any criminal activity. As it is written now, a person may legally obtain a machine gun or silencer, but cannot possess certain semi-auto rifles, shoulder-stocked pistols or pump shotguns for their collection just because the barrel is considered too short.

Our surrounding states of Georgia, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Florida do allow for ownership of these classes of firearms. Since the persons who seek to possess these items legally will submit themselves to a rigid check, I see no reason why this law couldn't be re-written to allow ownership by qualified citizens, while still providing a means of prosecuting those who obtain them illegally.

Federal law does allow for these types of firearms, and Alabama's law is consistent in the allowance of NFA firearms with the exception of Short-barreled rifles and Shotguns. I would like to ask for consideration in rescinding the State restriction on ownership of this class of firearm.

Thank you for your time
Old March 8, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2
smince

I found out this week the bill on rescinding the prohibition on SBR/SBS's is in the Judiciary Committee for hearings.
Old March 14, 2009, 04:50 PM   #3
BTR

Alabama members, please contact your local senators and reps about this now! There is a bill written on this!
Old March 14, 2009, 06:27 PM   #4
smince

My Rep, Todd Greeson, sent a letter this week. He had Jimmy Oden carry the bill (HB596), and he signed as a co-sponsor.

I know an LE friend has had meetings with them and they have been favorable.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
smince

UPDATE

I got the chance to introduce myself to my State Representative (Todd Greeson) at a Little League game last night. He told me the bill didn't get out of the House in time to introduce it into the Senate before this session ended, effectively killing it. He did promise to introduce it again in the next session.

Keep writing your Senators and Reps about this.