The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 20, 2009, 12:46 AM   #1
Gregory Gauvin

Loose trigger

My trigger in my 1911 has more up and down side to side play then I would like. It is not necessary that I correct this, but then again, I am a tinkerer. I am more concerned about the up and down play then the side to side.
I'd like to utilize the stock trigger, as fitting an oversized aftermarket trigger to this factory stock "Custom" gun may be problematic in that fact that the trigger bow cuts in the frame are undersized.

What is the best method to correct this? Would silver soldering the top and bottom of the trigger, and then filing to fit work or is there a better method?
Old March 20, 2009, 02:02 AM   #2
Nnobby45

I think I'd be more inclined to see if a bent, improperly fitting trigger bow could be the problem.

Anything beyond that might be Smithie territory.
Old March 20, 2009, 04:02 AM   #3
Gregory Gauvin

I haven't tried to fit an aftermarket trigger. This is just what I am told from others who have tried.

I'm just looking to fit the stock part better than what they did at the Brazilian factory.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
Scorch

The proper way to do what you are asking about is to replace the trigger with an aftermatket trigger. Using silver solder to try to build up the edges will not last, silver solder is relatively soft and will eventually wear to the point that the trigger will get loose again.